How to create a partition on the cache disk?

eroz

I'm looking to partition a 1TB drive into 2-500GB partitions.  One of the partitions will be my cache drive and the other I want to use for Sabnzbd+.  I tried doing a search but I only see posts to use cfdisk or fdisk to do it.  But I'm not sure how to use those commands.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

I'm looking to partition a 1TB drive into 2-500GB partitions.  One of the partitions will be my cache drive and the other I want to use for Sabnzbd+.  I tried doing a search but I only see posts to use cfdisk or fdisk to do it.  But I'm not sure how to use those commands.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

cfdisk is graphical.  You should be able to find some description on the web somewhere on how to use it.  It is not unRAID specific.

Joe L.

Thanks,

Robert

cfdisk is graphical.   You should be able to find some description on the web somewhere on how to use it.  It is not unRAID specific.

Joe L.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/IBM7248-HOWTO/cfdisk.html

What is the difference between choosing primary or logical partition?  and

To set the type of a partition, for bootable PReP, Linux swap or Linux ext2, highlight the actual partition, and select the Type command. You'll get a list over different types. Press space, and you'll get even more. Find what type you need, and enter the number at the prompt.
which of those would I want?  I'm thinking it would be Linux ext2.  Should I preclear the drive before or after partitioning?

What is the difference between choosing primary or logical partition?  and

To set the type of a partition, for bootable PReP, Linux swap or Linux ext2, highlight the actual partition, and select the Type command. You'll get a list over different types. Press space, and you'll get even more. Find what type you need, and enter the number at the prompt.
which of those would I want?  I'm thinking it would be Linux ext2.  Should I preclear the drive before or after partitioning?

You want primary partitions.

You should pre-clear before your partitioning.  You'll need to delete the single partition it creates before creating your two.

The file-system type for the cache drive MUST be reiserfs.

just tried running cfdisk on the root of a telnet session and I got this error,

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition begins after end-of-disk

[25;1H                    Press any key to exit cfdisk

root@Tower:~#

where do I need to run that command.

*edit*

nevermind, forgot to add the drive. cfdisk /dev/sdb

So I tried to do this on the unraid console since the telnet session screen was getting garbled when trying to make a selection.

You should pre-clear before your partitioning.  You'll need to delete the single partition it creates before creating your two.

I precleared the drive.  I tried to delete the single partition but it said "unable to delete free space". So I decided to go ahead and just make a new partition.  I was going through the selection for the file system type and reiserfs was not a selection.  Would it be called something else?

So I tried to do this on the unraid console since the telnet session screen was getting garbled when trying to make a selection.

I precleared the drive.  I tried to delete the single partition but it said "unable to delete free space". So I decided to go ahead and just make a new partition.  I was going through the selection for the file system type and reiserfs was not a selection.  Would it be called something else?

The partition type should be 83.

Joe,

I was unable to write the partitions. After running pre-clear on the drive, unMenu showed 2 partitions, sdb and sdb1.  When I tried to use cfdisk, I chose sdb.  However the sdb1 partition was not listed. So I tried creating the partitions anyway.  When it came time to write the partition table, it said it was unable to do it.  I don't remember the exact error, but it mentioned MBR.

Was I supposed to use cfdisk on sdb1 instead?

Archived