Guide: Setting up a Time Machine Share on your Unraid 6.7 Server

56 posts in this topic Last Reply

My backup has JUST started to actually run this morning. I started it at 08:00 and it's now 14:47 and it's backed up 1.77Gb!!!

Why is it soooo slow?   I've tried all solutions posted on the forums and nothing works.  Can someone from Unraid chip in? I purchased Unraid to use it for Time Machine purposes as well as a Plex Media Server and it simply does not work reliably for TM.

I did try topost my message in my previous thread about TM but it appears to no longer exist.

I'm really getting fed up of this not working in Unraid. Please support your customers!   I am happy to provide anything you may need from my server to help investigate the problems

Edited by rctneil
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For all of you Mac Users; Here is a written out guide on how to set up a Time Machine share on your Unraid Server: https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Configuring_Apple_Time_Machine#Guide:_Setting_u

This is the link I used to debug my share: Using Linux or Windows as a Time Machine network server.    The things he points out that are required to enable Time Machine support were:  

Hey, y'all. The issue with creating a Time Machine share with Catalina is due to a misconfigured setting in the share's .cfg file. For an SMB .cfg, Apple expects a setting to be passed called 'shareFr

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

to speed it up a little bit you can

1. disable SMB signing if you do not care about your network security much at home.

run these commands in terminal

sudo -s
echo "[default]" >> /etc/nsmb.conf
echo signing_required=no >> /etc/nsmb.conf
exit

Check if SMB signing is disabled on your share after you remount the SMB volume:

smbutil statshares -a 

This variable should not show up after you have disabled SMB signing.                                SIGNING_ON                    TRUE

source

2. Speed up browsing on network shares

To speed up SMB file browsing, you can prevent macOS from reading .DS_Store files on SMB shares. This makes the Finder use only basic information to immediately display each folder's contents in alphanumeric order. Use this Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE

Then log out of your macOS account and log back in.

To reenable sorting, use this command:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool FALSE

source

3. disable throttling

sudo sysctl debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=0

This command prevents Time Machine’s backup process assuming a low CPU priority

this command is forgotten when you reboot. If you want it to stick around when you reboot, you’ll need to add a launch-time script, as follows.

sudo nano /Library/LaunchDaemons/nothrottle.plist

Copy and paste in the following chunk of code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>nothrottle</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/usr/sbin/sysctl</string>
<string>debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=0</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

In the Terminal window, tap the Ctrl+O keyboard shortcut (that’s Ctrl, not Cmd!) and then hit Enter. Then tap Ctrl+X.

In the Terminal window, paste in the following single line

sudo chown root /Library/LaunchDaemons/nothrottle.plist;sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/nothrottle.plist

Should in future you want to turn off this new command, type the following, which again is a single line:

sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/nothrottle.plist

and reboot.

this is at the moment maximum you can do to speedup the timemachine backup.

• 2 months later...

Any updates on this?

I'm running MacOS Mojave (10.14.6) and Unraid 6.9.2, and haven't been able to connect to my existing Time Machine share since upgrading to the latest Unraid OS. I'm about ready to buy another external and connect it directly to my OSX machine.

On 5/23/2021 at 1:05 PM, DargoThePooh said:

Any updates on this?

I'm running MacOS Mojave (10.14.6) and Unraid 6.9.2, and haven't been able to connect to my existing Time Machine share since upgrading to the latest Unraid OS. I'm about ready to buy another external and connect it directly to my OSX machine.

On 5/23/2021 at 1:09 PM, cinereus said:

I think it's still an advertised feature that simply doesn't work.

This guide was made using macOS High Sierra. Unfortunately, something changed in the ensuing Apply releases and I have been unable to track down what changed. I will reach out to Spaceinvader One to see if he has found a workaround as well.

In the meantime, here is a workaround using an un assigned disk via Unassigned Devices: