Ethernet directly between NAS and Computer possible?

So my NAS is plugged in to the router/modem with Ethernet.
My desktop is connected to the router/modem with WIFI.
From my NAS to desktop I get 50 MB/s reads and writes.

To get better speed, (twice as much), but ethernet between desktop and router/modem is impossible.
The NAS does have two Gb ethernet ports.
I want to put an ethernet cable directly between the NAS and my Desktop, so a switch isnt needed.
Is that possible?
If so, how, is there some guide?
If possible, will my computer still use wifi (its fine if it does, just curious) to the internet, or does it pass through the NAS (Both are totally ok)?

I want an answer before I just start trying it out because it would require a hole in one wall.

As I recall, this is possible.  Gb ethernet actually figures out how the two ports on each end are configured and sets up the connections to the 'send' ports' are connected to 'receive' ports.  The only thing that you have to do is to assign permanent IP addresses to both devices as there is no DCHP service available to assign IP addresses.  

However, that should not improve the transfer speed.  If you do see an improvement, you have a network problem.   

By the way, if you are using your router/modem as a switch-- DON'T!   That thing has enough work to do being a modem, router and wireless access point without adding the additional duty of being a switch.  That thing has a very cheap computer inside of it and the less you ask of it, the better its performance will be.  Rebooting router, modem and switches occasionally is not a bad idea.  This simple task will solve/prevent many a network problem. 

I would start by getting rid of the WIFI on the Desktop.  WIFI is always the bottleneck!  If you only have have one CAT5/6 cable into the area where both are at and that cable is currently connected to the server, install a cheap 5-port GB switch (Widely available starting at $15).  If you need more ports, Switches are not that expensive.  (You can even get a 16 port switch for $70.  I have one of those and it has  worked for several years now without issue.)  If running cable is difficult, you can plug a switch into a switch.  I have a three layer setup in my house because of the problem of running cable between floors.  (You always want your server on the top layer (nearest the router) if at all possible.  

In case you are wondering, Once the IP addresses are assigned to two devices and they are connected to the same switch, any transfers between these two is done internal to the switch on a dedicated path which runs at Gb speed.  With the more expensive switches, there are two paths so that the devices can both be sending and receiving a 1Gbps in both directions! 

24 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

As I recall, this is possible.  Gb ethernet actually figures out how the two ports on each end are configured and sets up the connections to the 'send' ports' are connected to 'receive' ports.  The only thing that you have to do is to assign permanent IP addresses to both devices as there is no DCHP service available to assign IP addresses.  

However, that should not improve the transfer speed.  If you do see an improvement, you have a network problem.  

Why wouldnt I? Isnt Gbit Ethernet faster than Wifi? Gbit is 100-125 MB/s.
So NAS would automatically understand that one ethernet port is to allow acces from desktop but the other is to other things if IP is just set static on both, nothing else that have to be done?

By the way, if you are using your router/modem as a switch-- DON'T!   That thing has enough work to do being a modem, router and wireless access point without adding the additional duty of being a switch.  That thing has a very cheap computer inside of it and the less you ask of it, the better its performance will be.  Rebooting router, modem and switches occasionally is not a bad idea.  This simple task will solve/prevent many a network problem. 

Before now, there was zero communication between devices in the house except for chromecast to phone.
If communication to the NAS with something on wifi connecting to it counts as using it as a switch, yes.
If only between ethernet ports count, no, there is only one single ethernet cable connected to it, and its the one going to the NAS, and its the only cable to it there will ever be.

Everything else like phone or my brothers computer if he ever use the NAS (he probably wont will just be through wifi to the router, because no one wants to put an ugly Ethernet cable visible through 4 walls anyway.

I would start by getting rid of the WIFI on the Desktop.  WIFI is always the bottleneck!  If you only have have one CAT5/6 cable into the area where both are at and that cable is currently connected to the server, install a cheap 5-port GB switch (Widely available starting at $15).  If you need more ports, Switches are not that expensive.  (You can even get a 16 port switch for $70.  I have one of those and it has  worked for several years now without issue.)  If running cable is difficult, you can plug a switch into a switch.  I have a three layer setup in my house because of the problem of running cable between floors.  (You always want your server on the top layer (nearest the router) if at all possible.  

In my country, cheapest is 22€, and its 22€, if I could do what I am asking and it works completely fine, I wouldn't have to pay that. My NAS have 2 Ethernet ports and I have a cable. 
I also would have no idea about what switch to get and stuff, zero knowlage. If the cheapest is ok or not or what the hell differences is.
WIFI is not a bottleneck at all when connecting to to the outside world, the internet connection to the outside world is. But to the NAS it is, what else would it be?

What benefit at all would getting a switch be if what I asked about works?
If I got a switch, NAS box would not be on the same layer as the router, it would be the same one as my Desktop. The router is beside the TV box and my parents do not want my NAS there. 
NAS is basically right outside my office/bedroom/gaming room or whatever you would call it. One wall. 

In case you are wondering, Once the IP addresses are assigned to two devices and they are connected to the same switch, any transfers between these two is done internal to the switch on a dedicated path which runs at Gb speed.  With the more expensive switches, there are two paths so that the devices can both be sending and receiving a 1Gbps in both directions! 

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

I also would have no idea about what switch to get and stuff, zero knowlage. If the cheapest is ok or not or what the hell differences is.

Basically, for home use any Gb switch will work.  When you get into large networks at places like hotels, big businesses and companies than you definitely have to have more than a basic switch.  No network streaming device ever requires more than 100Mbps and those devices streaming directly from the Internet will generally be using less than 10Mbps.  If you are worried about Internet speed to a computer, the bottleneck is usually the Internet speed as most ISP provide less 1Gbps speed.  

Don't worry about your server and computer being down one layer from the router.  Any devices connected to the upper layer will still  have access to the lower layer.  You will have a 1Gbps connection to the router from the lower layer.  If your server and your computer are on the same switch, none of the traffic between them will ever go to the router. 

If you want to try the direct connection between the two, go ahead.  Remember you have to manually assign the IP addresses (and those addresses must be unique) to both Interfaces that you are going to use.  (I have not done this personally but I know that the guys who have 10Gbps interfaces do it all the time.  Those 10Gbps switches are expensive...)    

Edited by Frank1940