Unsecured Unraid server available with no password

jordanmw

6 hours ago, HK-Steve said:

I think that my Towers are unsecure, as I don't have to use a password.

How can I make them secure?

The title of this thread refers to the fact that someone has exposed their server's webGUI to the internet, compounded by the lack of password. When you say you think your server is not secured, do you have access to manage the server from outside your LAN? If so, how exactly do you do that? If your answer doesn't involve connecting to your own VPN server, you are likely vulnerable.

38 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

The title of this thread refers to the fact that someone has exposed their server's webGUI to the internet, compounded by the lack of password. When you say you think your server is not secured, do you have access to manage the server from outside your LAN? If so, how exactly do you do that? If your answer doesn't involve connecting to your own VPN server, you are likely vulnerable.

Thanks, No I do not access outside my home network, I learned something today. Much appreciated.

25 minutes ago, jordanmw said:

Well the good news is that the server is no longer accessible from the internet- not sure if that means that they finally fixed it, or if it is still just turned off.  I'll check on it for a while to make sure it doesn't come back up. 

Or, their ISP issued them a new DHCP address.

4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Or, their ISP issued them a new DHCP address.

If they did, I still would have found it on the next google crawl.  I wasn't looking for the address directly when I found it- stumbled across it when searching a log message.  I hope that means that he put it behind a nat gateway.  At any rate- I'll keep checking on it.

Well LT just contacted me to let me know that the user did finally get their message and has taken steps to remedy the issue.  Needless to say, they were glad that it was a community member that found it and shut it down to prevent harm.  Glad they handled it before some black hat decided to re-purpose it. :) 

• Like 4