2013 Mini ITX Build upgrades

Public

Currently running a mini-ITX build with an Asus H87I-PLUS, Intel Pentium G3220 and 4GB of RAM which i'm looking to upgrade. It runs mostly as a storage server with a few Dockers (Radar, Sonarr, etc.. + downloaders ). There's no VMs running on it, but the docker clients are starting to hit the limits of the CPU+RAM.

It's been a good 5 years since I last needed to buy any hardware so no longer up to date with what's what.

Searching around leads me towards looking at something like an ASRock B450 + Ryzen 5 2600, but I'm unsure if that's going to be overkill (no plans to ever run VMs for gaming on it) and whether a cheaper option would work fine for it.

Still ITX ? Ryzen 5 2600 no IGP, so need add-on GPU if you need access local display.

AMD APU 2400G also good but just 4C8T, that really depends on what you need.

For me, if IGP must then go to 2400G, otherwise will wait until Jul, 3000 series go out or price drop of 2000 series CPU.

If you are not changing the use case (i.e. no streaming) then why not just go on Ebay and find some cheap used RAM sticks to replace your 4GB RAM? That probably would probably be the absolute cheapest.

Otherwise upgrading to anything else would be an expensive overkill for your use case. Remember you will have to buy CPU + motherboard + RAM.

Plus I don't know of any AM4 mini ITX motherboard out there with 6 SATA ports like your current mobo (presumably you are using all the ports).

5 hours ago, Benson said:

Still ITX ? Ryzen 5 2600 no IGP, so need add-on GPU if you need access local display.

AMD APU 2400G also good but just 4C8T, that really depends on what you need.

For me, if IGP must then go to 2400G, otherwise will wait until Jul, 3000 series go out or price drop of 2000 series CPU.

Nothing more to say, agreed completely.

3 hours ago, testdasi said:

Plus I don't know of any AM4 mini ITX motherboard out there with 6 SATA ports like your current mobo (presumably you are using all the ports).

Yup, usually 4 ports only. Maybe one of the new upcoming boards for Ryzen 3000 in mini ITX.

3 hours ago, testdasi said:

If you are not changing the use case (i.e. no streaming) then why not just go on Ebay and find some cheap used RAM sticks to replace your 4GB RAM? That probably would probably be the absolute cheapest.

Yes, this would be the cheapest solution. Search on Ebay for a better socket 1150 CPU as well as cheap RAM, the board is ready up to 32GB.

If you´re not going to use it for VM´s for gaming try to find cheap CPU and RAM on Ebay.

If you want to go for the future try to sell your stuff and go with new hardware. It´s up to you to go with Intel or AMD.

Are you fixed on mini ITX due to your case? Because then you always have to compromise somehow.

Anyway, keep us informed what´s your decision. Might be helpful for somebody in a similar situation.

42 minutes ago, Fiservedpi said:

I heard AMD is not that easy to configure correctly (C states and whatnot/ Instability) 

I can assure you- it's not that bad- most of the issues have already been resolved and the only issues I had disappeared with bios updates months ago.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, testdasi said:

Don't think the X470 BIOS issues affect X399.

@testdasi- This issue also affects many x370 boards--3 cases reported on that post.  I think it's linked to the prep for Ryzen 3 and would further extrapolate that if x399 boards are prepping for Ryzen 3 with BIOS updates, they would also be affected.  You own one, have you recently updated BIOS and seen any GPU pass-thru issues?

To stay on topic... I still very much like the 2700x and Ryzen.  Prices are dropping nicely. However, for your use cases, would likely be overkill.  Get an ITX build with an integrated GPU/APU and go for cores and RAM over larger architecture.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:24 PM, mattz said:

@testdasi- This issue also affects many x370 boards--3 cases reported on that post.  I think it's linked to the prep for Ryzen 3 and would further extrapolate that if x399 boards are prepping for Ryzen 3 with BIOS updates, they would also be affected.  You own one, have you recently updated BIOS and seen any GPU pass-thru issues?

I am on latest BIOS (March date I believe) and have no issue. It's quite possible the next gen prep for Ryzen 3 hasn't been extended to Threadripper yet. On the other hand, TR has not been affected by the same issues as Ryzen (e.g. C6) so it might very well be different animals.