[Solved]...Tower2 Crashed. Help...

Hi Everyone, came home to my Tower2 offline. Running 6.7.0. Has been running for about 2 years with no issues or changes other than UnRaid OS.

Have 22x 2Tb hard drives, 2x parity.

Running 3x LSI 9211-8i's flashed to IT.

I rebooted and got the single post beep, then nothing at all, no video output from hdmi or DVI output..

Gigabyte Z370 HD3-CF Motherboard, not using onboard sata ports.

Intel® Core™ i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz

8Gb of DDR4 RAM

850watt PSU Corsair.

Is on a UPS so I do not suspect a power dropout or spike.

Not sure what to do next.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

I have a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM exactly the same, a Spare, If you can call it that....is for a Friend but can use if needed. He will not mind  😀

What should I do now.

Parity was checked 2 days ago. with no errors.

I can pull the UnRaid USB Stick but what should I look for??

Much appreciated

3 minutes ago, HK-Steve said:

I have a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM exactly the same, a Spare, If you can call it that....is for a Friend but can use if needed. He will not mind  😀

What should I do now.

Parity was checked 2 days ago. with no errors.

I can pull the UnRaid USB Stick but what should I look for??

Much appreciated

I would guess the first thing would be to see if you can boot the spare.    Ideally you should be able to boot Unraid off the USB stick.    You can do this test without any drives plugged in.

Look and see if the lights are lit on the Network port.   

To be honest, I would start by looking at the Power Supply.  That is the quickest and easiest thing to check.  (You could borrow one perhaps--- from a friend--IF low power don't connect the power to the drives as a test.  Unraid should boot without a HD attached.  You could also get one from a vendor with a liberal return policy...) 

Yes, that would be the next step.  Be sure you disconnect power to the drives.  If it is a modular drive PS, just disconnect from the PS end.  (I vaguely recall some one having an some issue with hard drive power causing similar problems.) 

Edited by Frank1940
Strike text
2 minutes ago, HK-Steve said:

Thanks Guy's, I have just changed the power supply to a brand new Corsair 850watt I had for my Friends Tower.

Unfortunately it still does not boot. 

Next I will disconnect all the hard drives and just boot with the UnRaid USB stick. Agree?

That is a way forward, but I would have simply tried booting with your friends hardware with no drives attached.   Ideally that way

would give you a working set of hardware so that you can swap in yours one item at a time until you identify which one causes it to stop booting.   It is always possible that more than one item has gone faulty due to a cascade failure effect so swapping items into the failed system is a harder way to identify the cause.

OK, I disconnected all hard drives from the LSI's and Power from them. Love modular PSU's with cable connections..

Same, did not boot after post beep.    

So Next will remove the LSI controllers.

Just not had the time today to mess properly, but monday can install Friends MB and see what happens with itimpi's strategy.

Appreciate the help and advice, Thanks

OK, So this morning I change to my Tower1 USB stick and it booted.

Replaced my original power supply, Booted with the Tower1 USB Stick.

Looked at my Tower2 USB on my Windows 10 computer and all seemed there, compaired USB to the backup I have, looked identical.

So I copied the backup to the Tower2 USB Stick.

Put it back into my Tower2 and it booted... Powered down and connected all the power and sata cables.

It booted and mounted all the drives when I started the array.

Hmmm, So what do you think caused this??

And DID I do the right thing in copying the backup to the USB stick?

Appreciate the advice.

34 minutes ago, itimpi said:

One thing to watch for is that the license file (in the config folder) is tied to a particular USB stick.

Thanks, I did know that, as I had a USB stick fail about a year ago, and went through the process, all of which was not that painful.

I had an original USB that I bought, when UnRaid sold the software already installed on a USB stick, yes that was a LONG time ago.

Any idea as to why I had the problem?

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not really :(

The fact that rewriting the USB stick seems to have resolved your problem suggests that there might have been something corrupt on the USB stick but why that might happen is not obvious.

Thanks, think I will backup my other 2x Towers later today, just never know.

Normally I do a backup after I have added disks or controllers.

Much appreciated the help. Cheers

• HK-Steve changed the title to [Solved]...Tower2 Crashed. Help...