Downloaded files lands on cache when cache setting is "No"

My cache is filling up due to downloaded files lands on the cache drives, setting is cache "No". 

Download-folder is set to "Yes" (was recommended in a SIO video, I think). After downloading finished I moved the folder with it`s files from "downloaded" folder to a folder where cache is set "No". Funny thing is that the small file went to the Array and the big file to the Cache drives. 

Is this the way it should be? 

Will it fix itself, or do I have to fix it manually?

Happy for any reply.

Cheers,

Frode

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

How were you doing the move?    Was it locally on the Unraid server (if so using what app) or over the network from another machine?

Doing it with binhex-krusader docker. Using the the "move to other panel" command, 

To be expected.

Since you've presumably only passed thru one mount point (/mnt/user or /mnt) the system is smart enough to know that since both the source and destination are both within the same mounts to simply rename instead of a copy followed by a delete. Every OS operates the same way

Sent via telekinesis

I understand how "the other file" lands on the Array. It was no other/second file in the download. It has been copied on the Array by Emby. 

So, what happens is that a folder on the cache drive being moved to a folder on the Array, cache setting "No", the server move the folder to another folder (same name as on the pointed folder on the Array) on the cache drive, rather than to the pointed folder on the Array. The Docker used for moving is krusader. 

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

To be expected.

Since you've presumably only passed thru one mount point (/mnt/user or /mnt) the system is smart enough to know that since both the source and destination are both within the same mounts to simply rename instead of a copy followed by a delete. Every OS operates the same way

Sent via telekinesis

Aha, so how should I do this? Run "Mover" with cache settings "Yes", then change to "No", to get the files to the Array. And then do the same operation with krusader?

Edited by frodr
27 minutes ago, frodr said:

I understand how "the other file" lands on the Array. It was no other/second file in the download. It has been copied on the Array by Emby. 

So, what happens is that a folder on the cache drive being moved to a folder on the Array, cache setting "No", the server move the folder to another folder (same name as on the pointed folder on the Array) on the cache drive, rather than to the pointed folder on the Array. The Docker used for moving is krusader. 

Yes - this is how Linux handles moves.    As far as Linux is concerned anything under a single mount point is considered a candidate for move being implemented by a ‘rename’ which leaves it on the same drive (as Linux is not aware of the User Share Settings).  Only if it thinks the source and target are on different mount points does it use a copy/delete operation.    If you are going to use Krusader then you need to explicitly do a copy followed by a delete to stop the potential for this happening.   

The normally recommended avoidance procedure with Unraid is leave the target set to Use Cache=“Yes”.    The Use Cache setting controls two things:

• Where NEW files are to be placed
  • what actions mover should take (if any) in moving files between cache and array

Many people misunderstand the effects of the different options for the Use Cache setting but If you turn on the Help in the GUI which gives more detail you will see that part of the ‘Yes’ setting implementation is to move files from cache to array when mover runs.  That way even if the file ends up on the cache then mover will later kick in and move the files to the array.   The setting of ‘No’ stops mover from even attempting to move such files from Cache to Array.

Edited by itimpi