Ryzen 3000 series build / Struggling with PCI-e lanes

30 minutes ago, Leoyzen said:

It's not a problem of sensor-detect script but the board is too new to be supported by the nct6775 driver we current used in Unraid 6.7.0.

I compiled the newest kernel 5.2.7 mannually the sensors all work properly with System.Temp plugins.You should try. 

Unfortunately I don’t know how. Is that works on the UnRAID NVIDIA build of unraid?

1 hour ago, Pducharme said:

Unfortunately I don’t know how. Is that works on the UnRAID NVIDIA build of unraid?

Of course the nvidia driver should be compiled for the newer kernel to work.Linuxserver has provided the script to build the plugin.

I release the kernel, see this thread: [KERNEL]custom build kernel 5.2.7 for latest Ryzen 3000 and X570 sensors suppport and r8125 driver.

See if it helps

Edited by Leoyzen
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 11:20 AM, Pducharme said:

I think it's missing in the manual, only this is said about the U.2 connector :

2050421298_E15611_Pro_WS_X570-ACE_UM_V2_WEB.pdf2019-07-1111-09-35.png.23074cd830f9f0b5448e6925722ba744.png

Pducharme, have you tried using a Mini-SAS to 4 x SATA cable yet to test out the U.2 port to get 8 total SATA ports? I'm interested in this motherboard and going from 4 x SATA ports to 8 x SATA ports would keep me from having to buy another HBA. 

7 hours ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Pducharme, have you tried using a Mini-SAS to 4 x SATA cable yet to test out the U.2 port to get 8 total SATA ports? I'm interested in this motherboard and going from 4 x SATA ports to 8 x SATA ports would keep me from having to buy another HBA. 

I bought a cable and tried, but no disk were detected.  Maybe I had the wrong cable... they advertise it, so it should work !  Since a hasn't more time to test, I did not tried buying a different cable....

5 hours ago, Pducharme said:

I bought a cable and tried, but no disk were detected.  Maybe I had the wrong cable... they advertise it, so it should work !  Since a hasn't more time to test, I did not tried buying a different cable....

Hmmmmm...As long as it was a forward breakout cable, it should have worked (if what they say is true). I’m actually thinking after looking through their really short motherboard manual (this thing is really sparse) that someone simply made a mistake in their description for the U.2 port. The U.2 connection and a newer HBA connection are essentially identical in that a cable will easily fit both but they don’t necessarily work the same way.

The manual is the only place that I can even find a mention of possibly expanding SATA ports on this motherboard without a HBA. It’s really weird because that would be a good feature to advertise if it were true. If I get some time later today, I’ll try and give their tech support a call to see if it’s just a mistake or a special cable that needs to be bought to make it work.

Have you also tried out their IPMI-ish system for this board? I looked on their website and manual and I’m still not exactly sure how it works. It also looks like it might only work with Windows.

UPDATE: Talked to an Asus technical rep and it was interesting to say the least. At first, he didn’t understand my questions/concerns. It took a while to explain to him that a U.2 and Mini-SAS port are essentially the same thing but they don’t necessarily have the same hardware behind them. If you’re going to use a Mini-SAS connector to connect to SATA ports, you need a controller to handle the SATA connections. After he understood that I simply wanted a cable that could go from the U.2 port to 4 x SATA ports (like the manual states is possible), he put me on hold and looked it up. Apparently, he had no idea of a cable that could achieve what I wanted and said it’s probably just due to the motherboard being so new and technology elsewhere hasn’t caught up to it...That’s a load a horse hockey.

My summation: Asus messed up the U.2 section in the manual and have no idea what the hell they’re talking about. It’s simply a regular U.2 port and that is all. There is no SAS controller on the board so hooking it up to 4 x SATA ports is not possible. They really need to fix their manual.

Edited by ramblinreck47
On 9/12/2019 at 7:38 AM, ramblinreck47 said:

Hmmmmm...As long as it was a forward breakout cable, it should have worked (if what they say is true). I’m actually thinking after looking through their really short motherboard manual (this thing is really sparse) that someone simply made a mistake in their description for the U.2 port. The U.2 connection and a newer HBA connection are essentially identical in that a cable will easily fit both but they don’t necessarily work the same way.

The manual is the only place that I can even find a mention of possibly expanding SATA ports on this motherboard without a HBA. It’s really weird because that would be a good feature to advertise if it were true. If I get some time later today, I’ll try and give their tech support a call to see if it’s just a mistake or a special cable that needs to be bought to make it work.

Have you also tried out their IPMI-ish system for this board? I looked on their website and manual and I’m still not exactly sure how it works. It also looks like it might only work with Windows.

UPDATE: Talked to an Asus technical rep and it was interesting to say the least. At first, he didn’t understand my questions/concerns. It took a while to explain to him that a U.2 and Mini-SAS port are essentially the same thing but they don’t necessarily have the same hardware behind them. If you’re going to use a Mini-SAS connector to connect to SATA ports, you need a controller to handle the SATA connections. After he understood that I simply wanted a cable that could go from the U.2 port to 4 x SATA ports (like the manual states is possible), he put me on hold and looked it up. Apparently, he had no idea of a cable that could achieve what I wanted and said it’s probably just due to the motherboard being so new and technology elsewhere hasn’t caught up to it...That’s a load a horse hockey.

My summation: Asus messed up the U.2 section in the manual and have no idea what the hell they’re talking about. It’s simply a regular U.2 port and that is all. There is no SAS controller on the board so hooking it up to 4 x SATA ports is not possible. They really need to fix their manual.

so what it will provide with only a U.2 if not sata? (Not familiar with U.2 standard)

9 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

so what it will provide with only a U.2 if not sata? (Not familiar with U.2 standard)

A U.2 slot is really just a funny looking PCIE 3.0 x4 slot. It’s mostly used to connect to enterprise 2.5” NVME drives. There’s no SAS controller attached to the port though and that’s why you can’t use it like a 9300-8i even though the port is identical and will actually accept the same cables.

13 minutes ago, ramblinreck47 said:

A U.2 slot is really just a funny looking PCIE 3.0 x4 slot. It’s mostly used to connect to enterprise 2.5” NVME drives. There’s no SAS controller attached to the port though and that’s why you can’t use it like a 9300-8i even though the port is identical and will actually accept the same cables.

Ok! It would be cool a « HBA câble » that connects to it and have 4 SATA ports like a smart cable that include an hba functionality 

On 9/15/2019 at 10:53 PM, ramblinreck47 said:

Finally, I upgraded my BIOS today to the 1001 version (the one with AGESA 1003ABBA) and when I was checking the BIOS settings, I saw a "U.2 mode" with valeur of PCIe or SATA.   I changed it to SATA, but haven't tried again my Cable... 

• Like 1

Hi guys I have been following the discussion, I am planning on a mini itx build using asus x570 I gaming, problem is it only has 1  pcie 4.0 16x that will be used for the gpu. It does have 2x m.2 M key slots (x4 lanes), I was planning on using a m.2 m key to pcie x4 adapter and run a riser to the HBA. My question is would a pcie gen 3 hba use the the gen 4 speeds? Most gen 3 hba are x8 so I would be running it on a pcie 4.0 x4 which although technically should have the same speeds I am not sure if the hba would use the full speed or simply it would just half itself. Another problem to think about is the m.2 m key to pcie x4 adapter... I see some pcie gen 3 ones but not gen 4 so wondering if the speeds will get throttled there or if simply the manufactures never bothered with put gen 4 compatible as it wasnt a "thing" at a home level. Would love some input on what you guys think?

4 hours ago, GoncaloC said:

would a pcie gen 3 hba use the the gen 4 speeds?

No

simply it would just half itself

Yes

if the speeds will get throttled

Simple say if connect 8 disks, no throttled. But seldom ( or never ) found anyone feedback for HBA connect to M2 by adapter.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:56 PM, Pducharme said:

Finally, I upgraded my BIOS today to the 1001 version (the one with AGESA 1003ABBA) and when I was checking the BIOS settings, I saw a "U.2 mode" with valeur of PCIe or SATA.   I changed it to SATA, but haven't tried again my Cable... 

Wow! That would be cool if it works. Let us know what happens when you try it out! Could be they were correct in the manual and the Tech rep was just clueless of how it works.

I have the WKS board too albeit not in an unRAID system currently. I can confirm that it's U2 port doesn't work as a SAS with a breakout - despite being told so when I bought it. I'll be flashing mine in a moment and I'll try to test it with the breakout I've got buit I dooubt that a simple flash is going to bring functionality. This board was advertised as having "lights out" management and this special port, thus far both have proven to be useless. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. My unRAID system is likely to get a TaiChi X570 instead - possibly this week. Wish I could find some 3900X processors :(

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BLKMGK said:

I have the WKS board too albeit not in an unRAID system currently. I can confirm that it's U2 port doesn't work as a SAS with a breakout - despite being told so when I bought it. I'll be flashing mine in a moment and I'll try to test it with the breakout I've got buit I dooubt that a simple flash is going to bring functionality. This board was advertised as having "lights out" management and this special port, thus far both have proven to be useless. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. My unRAID system is likely to get a TaiChi X570 instead - possibly this week. Wish I could find some 3900X processors :(

Let us know.  Also, what cable you are using for the breakout?    As for the "Lights Out", i never was able to do anything with that...  I specifically bought this board to have some sort of IPMI, coming from a Supermicro since the last 5 years, I was used to use this when I needed to see the screen or reset the device.  

Anyone here have a Ryzen 3000, Gigabyte X570 board and a Nvidia GPU? I upgraded to a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi and 3900x. I used my old GPU, a 980GTX from my old computer abd for some reason I can't successfully install the drivers (Error code 43). I'm trying to figure out if its this motherboard. I want to buy another GPU but I don't know if I will have the same issue if i get another nvidia card....

30 minutes ago, Pducharme said:

Let us know.  Also, what cable you are using for the breakout?    As for the "Lights Out", i never was able to do anything with that...  I specifically bought this board to have some sort of IPMI, coming from a Supermicro since the last 5 years, I was used to use this when I needed to see the screen or reset the device.  

How is the board's version of IPMI? Does it work similarly to Supermicro's?

Okay, much to my surprise I'm able to access SATA drives via the U2 port, thank goodness! I am using a U2 cable to my SAS backplane on a Norco 24. I had to turn on the SATA vs U2 functionality in the BIOS with the new flash. Here's what I bought ->

CableCreation Internal Mini SAS HD Cable, 1.6FT Mini SAS SFF-8643 to Mini SAS 36Pin SFF-8087 Cable, Mini SAS 36Pin to SFF-8643 Cable, 0.5M

No go on the IPMI but I'll admit I've not tried to dork with it, I'm not sure where to begin with the damn thing. It does look like I'm using the Realtek NIC and so far it's been fine and found by Linux. With this U2 addition I might actually use this WKS board in my unRAID machine and a TaiChi in something else - anyone using the TaiChi? Thinking a 3700X, 32gig of memory, and a 4port SAS paired with a 2port to have enough slots and still run my 1050 for Plex :D

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I just want to share my recent experience with migration from Intel i7 4790k based system to my new setup - Ryzen 7 3700x, Asrock X570 Taichi (bios v2.10 - Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA), 2x16Gb G.SKILL Trident Z CL16 3600 Neo. Ladies and gentleman, outstanding! Once I booted (legacy, always legacy...), I had to do nothing more (well, apart from re-assigning cores to VMs as I have twice more of them now). No system freezes, array associated HDDs automatically and correctly - I just pressed start and that's it, GPU pass-through works (single VGA in system using VGA bios dump), even my static configuration of NIC automatically applied itself to the new/different HW (previously the integrated NIC was Realtek, now it is Intel - thus why choosing MB which I chose) - and I am using multiple sub-interfaces with VLAN tagging and passing a bunch of them as VMX NICs to my pfSense VM, dockers  run perfectly as well.

After reading numerous posts on this forum I was expecting a lot of troubleshooting, tweaking, issues etc. but so far, all has been smooth as it can be. Big thanks to Lime Tech., to Spaceinvader One and to all of you writing very useful posts.

Edited by Bartist

I have a question regarding PCIE lanes, IOMMU groups, etc. My board is a Gigabyte X370 K7. Currently, I have two NVidia GTX cards that I pass through to two separate VMs running concurrently. I want to add a third graphics card — a very basic one — to use as a dedicated display for the UnRaid shell. VGA output would be sufficient. Is this possible on X370? 

Edited by cyberspectre
8 hours ago, cyberspectre said:

I have a question regarding PCIE lanes, IOMMU groups, etc. My board is a Gigabyte X370 K7. Currently, I have two NVidia GTX cards that I pass through to two separate VMs running concurrently. I want to add a third graphics card — a very basic one — to use as a dedicated display for the UnRaid shell. VGA output would be sufficient. Is this possible on X370? 

I can't see a reason why not. If you have slot available and you find a card for 1x or 4x lines, there should not be a problem. Only the MB lines configuration itself dictate how many and what cards you can install, and if you have a nice IOMMU grouping now you should not have issue afterwards.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:25 AM, Bartist said:

I can't see a reason why not. If you have slot available and you find a card for 1x or 4x lines, there should not be a problem. Only the MB lines configuration itself dictate how many and what cards you can install, and if you have a nice IOMMU grouping now you should not have issue afterwards.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply!

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 9:39 PM, Pducharme said:

Hi guys! I just pulled the trigger on a ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE + a Ryzen 9 3900x.  I have a 21 drives Unraid and plan on upgrading my stuff with this new Ryzen 3900x and board.  I currently have 2 9211-8i and 1 GPU (for PLEX transcoding, but in a 1x slot with a Mining Riser that I reuse, works fine).  I might add a GTX 1080Ti for a VM (passthru) when that will be fix on the new platform.  I'll probably run that on a "test" Unraid until everything works fine, pretty sure i'll have some issues :)  Also, i still need to choose RAM for the new system and a NVMe PCIe Gen4 for the Cache drive.

I'll keep posting to this topic what my findings are.  Hope to at least be able to boot current 6.7.2 Unraid on my board.

@Pducharme -- I have a very similar setup but currently need 3 PCI 8x slots to power my three SAS controllers for my 20 drives...how are you connecting all those drives to your mobo? It looks like you have 2 x LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i but doesn't that just allow you to connect 16 drives? Due to my case I need to connect all 20 drives via SAS and that takes up 3 pci slots and I just cannot figure out how to have my 3 required controllers AND a GPU. :/ Thoughts?

Thanks.