Single Drive Array

I have just setup a single drive in my array (2tb).

How do I go about replacing this with my larger hard drive (6TB).

All my searching just points me to replacing a drive in an array with more than 1 drive.

Is there a cloning app i should use? or is there a command line alternative to copying/transferring data from the 2tb to the 6tb?

If anyone could point me to a guide really would make my day.

Thanks in advance!

Why not just add the second drive, or just unmount the old drive, mount the new drive in the "array", and then mount the old drive as an "unassigned device" and then copy the data over to the new drive?

If you want some redundancy, add the larger drive as a parity drive, and then add more/larger drives from there. Once you have parity created, you can simply replace drives and it will rebuild data. It's kind of a hard pill to swallow that larger drive for parity at first, but in the long run, you'll be better off, IMHO.

On 6/10/2019 at 5:40 PM, warren_briones said:

I have just setup a single drive in my array (2tb).

How do I go about replacing this with my larger hard drive (6TB).

All my searching just points me to replacing a drive in an array with more than 1 drive.

Is there a cloning app i should use? or is there a command line alternative to copying/transferring data from the 2tb to the 6tb?

If anyone could point me to a guide really would make my day.

Thanks in advance!

Considering you only have 1 disk in the array, it's pretty easy.

1. Add the 6TB to your array (should be disk 2).
  2. Get to the command line (through SSH or the Unraid CLI) and do a copy (something like: cp -v -r /mnt/disk1/* /mnt/disk2/)
  3. Watch and wait for the copy to finish
  4. Stop array, start a new config (Tools -> New config) and do a new config with just the 6TB as disk1