[solved] How to get rid of virtual floppy disks

Hi,

After a fresh reboot, I see this:

image.png.33188443da631d68ca9f240cee7bfa47.png

My first HDD starts at sde so it's kinda annoying. I've fixed it in the past by not having any Windows VMs. Annoying, again, and the win2008R2 VM I currently have I do need. I obviously don't have any floppy disks on that VM nor anything special in the XML as far as I know (it does it pretty much with any version of Windows installed in any VM but maybe it's just random and I'm going crazy). 

Here are diagnostics. 

I've had this issue for months if not years, currently on the latest unRAID version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I see this in syslog:

Jun 10 15:01:54 server kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     AMI      Virtual Floppy0  1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS

This would be the problem. But why is it there?

/dev/sdb: Unknown USB bridge [0x046b:0xff40 (0x100)]
/dev/sdc: Unknown USB bridge [0x046b:0xff31 (0x100)]
/dev/sdd: Unknown USB bridge [0x046b:0xff31 (0x100)]

USB bridge? I have a UPS hooked up to a USB port but I really don't think that's the issue. Even the virtual CDROM (sr0) shouldn't be there...

Edited by dnLL
Just now, itimpi said:

It sounds as if you have not disabled all floppy drives in your motherboard BIOS settings?    

I don't have any "virtual floppy" (or floppy setting) in my BIOS and it's not consistent across reboots, ie. sometimes they're not there. Still, here are some screenshots from the BIOS just in case.

image.png.1e9e5161a8876497ef585e7d057fa248.png

image.png.373a8a7a992512d1ae1a26b84689e0ad.png

image.png.62b108c3544bc8c35835b4f86f5bca72.png

image.png.46f48d3bb6217be11d5c7c9f1ce1e9ef.png

image.png.d2c25222c32b999e014b4dfbfdae3aba.png

image.png.99e803558240f7840f01095c473a1e23.png

image.png.5f05f353d8cd4e48981f1781b647c528.png

image.png.46bd02777854909c1730af836b38ce4b.png

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not sure where they are coming from but you definitely have something on your system reporting that it has a scsi floppy and sone removable scsi disks.    Could this be on a disk controller card?

I don't have anything on the only PCIe port. I have 2 USB peripherals, one being the boot USB flash drive (in the internal USB port) and the other is my UPS. Nothing else attached other than 3 RJ-45 to the 3 ports. 

The 6 internal SATA ports are used. 

Edited by dnLL

10+ reboots later the virtual floppy went to sdh instead of sdb. Considering I usually reboot 3-4x per year, I'm done testing for a couple of months.

But really, it sucks. ASUS says to enable the power saving mode to have the drives disappear and all it really does is making them disappear then reappear randomly. It seems that somehow I managed to boot and have unRAID see the disks as sdb sdc etc before the floppy but it's weird.

13 minutes ago, dnLL said:

Looking at this... American Megatrends, Inc = AMI = BIOS... but this doesn't make sense.

You're accessing your BIOS setup remotely, using IPMI or whatever your motherboard manufacturer calls it. That's why you're seeing the AMI virtual keyboard and mouse.

Have you got a manual for your motherboard?

46 minutes ago, John_M said:

You're accessing your BIOS setup remotely, using IPMI or whatever your motherboard manufacturer calls it. That's why you're seeing the AMI virtual keyboard and mouse.

Have you got a manual for your motherboard?

You are actually 100% right. Seems like the floppy was indeed created by the BMC setting but the 2 other USB peripherals were me on the IPMI console. Heh... well, the problem is now solved, thank you.

It's basically a mixed of the 2. I wasn't connected to the console when I did a reboot earlier... then the issue was there so I went into the BIOS through the console and just made it worst by staying on the console while rebooting couple more times. Then I found the virtual media settings on the BMC which made one of the 3 drives disappear permanently but the 2 other ones would stay. After I closed the console they both disappeared.

I wonder if unRAID could handle this differently a little bit, like prioritize hard drives over USB devices when it comes to device assignment (except maybe for the boot drive which is sda). It would solve most possible issues.

Edited by dnLL

The sdX type device names are not really relevant to Unraid as it recognises drives by serial number.     The sdX id’s are allocated dynamically at the Linux level as devices are recognised.  They can change between boots (although rarely) even without a hardware change so it is not worth getting concerned about them.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The sdX type device names are not really relevant to Unraid as it recognises drives by serial number.     The sdX id’s are allocated dynamically at the Linux level as devices are recognised.  They can change between boots (although rarely) even without a hardware change so it is not worth getting concerned about them.

It's probably just relevant to my OCD ;-). And obviously because I'm monitoring my VMs with check_mk, it doesn't really like the letter change.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

All devices count in principle regardless of whether they are in the array or not so it is possible they do count - I have no idea in this case whether they do.

I've never seen a keyboard be counted as a device when it comes down to unRAID licensing. I have the basic license with 6 HDD and it wasn't an issue despite the 3 "Unknown USB devices" identified as sda, sdb and sdc.

15 minutes ago, dnLL said:

I've never seen a keyboard be counted as a device when it comes down to unRAID licensing. I have the basic license with 6 HDD and it wasn't an issue despite the 3 "Unknown USB devices" identified as sda, sdb and sdc.

Keyboards and mice don't count but I thought that the virtual disk-like things might. I know that unassigned physical disks that are connected at the time Unraid boots - whether by SATA or USB - do count, as do optical drives.

Just now, John_M said:

Keyboards and mice don't count but I thought that the virtual disk-like things might. I know that unassigned physical disks that are connected at the time Unraid boots - whether by SATA or USB - do count, as do optical drives.

Really, floppy and optical drives count? I'm lucky I don't have old hardware, that would be a huge issue lol. I mean if you add the BMC virtual medias you can have 5 or 6 completely empty media drives...