[Support] Linuxserver.io - Calibre

2 hours ago, Clifford B Brown said:

They show an option on the Github page for "--security-opt seccomp=unconfined" that fixes this on the docker image. It's mentioned in some issues: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-calibre/issues/97 and https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-calibre/issues/102.

This fixes it for me on Unraid.

For those trying to figure out how to add this extra variable to the docker template, you need to go to 'advanced' view (slider in the upper-right corner) and then look for the 'Extra parameters' section and enter this in the field:

--security-opt seccomp=unconfined

image.thumb.png.9552399bc33807fbfe34db9531fae302.png

Worked for me as well - calibre gui back up and running.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2
On 9/23/2022 at 2:00 AM, Ikthayt said:

For those trying to figure out how to add this extra variable to the docker template, you need to go to 'advanced' view (slider in the upper-right corner) and then look for the 'Extra parameters' section and enter this in the field:

Worked for me as well - calibre gui back up and running.

Many thanks for your post, Im new to Unraid and this got it working again.

Just to re-visit this one as I saw a new update pushed to docker hub, which just immediately gave me a "Refused to connect" once applied.

I have attached my docker config, just for a sanity check against others that got it working.

For interest, I added the "--security-opt" parameter to my working 6.4.0 install and it still works perfectly.   However, when I go to the latest version, I just get a "Refused to connect error".

I am on the latest Unraid Stable Version: 6.11.0

If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated :)

screencapture-wolfnas-Dashboard-UpdateContainer-2022-09-25-16_45_30.png

On 9/26/2022 at 9:40 PM, myHarries said:

OK, this fixed my installation, however, can someone tell me what the fix is doing?

Thanks

On the github page, this is additional comment on this parameter: "For Docker Engine only, many modern gui apps need this to function as syscalls are unkown to Docker."

I am assuming this is an internal check within the server, but I am no expert.  Maybe others here that are more sophisticated than I am can elaborate.

Hello all - butting into the conversation with a different issue.  If this doesn't belong here please let me know:

Recently migrated my library over to linuxserver calibre and have had no issues accessing it/installing. Where I'm running into problems is in emailing books.  Whenever I email an ebook, the filename gets changed to a random string of letters/numbers (ex: "The High Performance HMI Handbook.epub" becomes "pP2K6OsDdr7hhS523zeDw9.epub").  This causes issues as a Kindle device will then use the random letters/numbers as the display title (I don't know why they don't just use the metadata...). 

On calibre instances installed on my laptop with similar setup I have no issues with this. I also do not have any metadata plugboards setup that would alter the info.  Sending via gmai imap. 

I could not find any topics/instances of this on the calibre support page so I turned here for a possible solution.  Any help/ideas is appreciated!

edit: Forgot to mention that every time an email is sent (of same file), the sent filename is a completely different string of letters/numbers, it is not consistent. 

Edited by sunsout
additional information
9 hours ago, sunsout said:

Hello all - butting into the conversation with a different issue.  If this doesn't belong here please let me know:

Recently migrated my library over to linuxserver calibre and have had no issues accessing it/installing. Where I'm running into problems is in emailing books.  Whenever I email an ebook, the filename gets changed to a random string of letters/numbers (ex: "The High Performance HMI Handbook.epub" becomes "pP2K6OsDdr7hhS523zeDw9.epub").  This causes issues as a Kindle device will then use the random letters/numbers as the display title (I don't know why they don't just use the metadata...). 

On calibre instances installed on my laptop with similar setup I have no issues with this. I also do not have any metadata plugboards setup that would alter the info.  Sending via gmai imap. 

I could not find any topics/instances of this on the calibre support page so I turned here for a possible solution.  Any help/ideas is appreciated!

edit: Forgot to mention that every time an email is sent (of same file), the sent filename is a completely different string of letters/numbers, it is not consistent. 

If you are hanging around here I asume you are running Calibre in a container on an Unraid server?

I find Calibre very useful, but also equally confusing. For upload, download, mailing etc. I use the Calibre-Web container from the Unraid Apps page as a wrapper for Calibre. Easier to handle and a better overview of what it does. Especially when I try explaining it to my family. I do not have the problem you are describing when emailing books to my Kindle from the Calibre-Web server. Hope that can be of help to you.

I still dont have a good work flow when it comes to how my media server works for eboks and audio books. I'm using Readarr, Calibre and Calibre-Web at the moment and if anyone know a good forum for discussing this I'm all ears

Correct I'm running it on an Unraid server.  I checked out the calibre-web and it is definitely a modern UI comparatively, my only complaint is not being able to support multiple libraries/database switching.

I did much more digging last night and found the answer in the first place I should have looked...very well documented bug fixes on Calibre's page.

Release 6.5 purposely alters the filename

When sending books by email to the Kindle and PocketBook email delivery services use random subject and filenames consisting of simple English letters to try to workaround various bugs in their email processing code

Closes tickets: 1989282

Release 6.6.1 addresses Amazon's sudden change to no metadata reading

Workaround for Amazon's email delivery service not reading metadata from inside ebook files

Edit: Just checked and as of 5 minutes ago 6.6.1 was published and it solves the problem. You guys are impressively fast.

Edited by sunsout
Updated Information:

I'm still struggling with Calibre.  Running Unraid 6.11.  Version 6.4.0 works fine, anything newer fails. I've added the reference optional parameter with no luck.  The log file doesn't have much in it:

-------------------------------------
          _         ()
         | |  ___   _    __
         | | / __| | |  /  \
         | | \__ \ | | | () |
         |_| |___/ |_|  \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid:    99
User gid:    100

Generating 2048 bit rsa key...

ssl_gen_key_xrdp1 ok

saving to rsakeys.ini

**** No auth enabled. To enable auth, you can set the PASSWORD var in docker arguments. ****
[custom-init] Legacy files folder /config/custom-cont-init.d is empty, deleting..  

• Upvote 1

Some more data points on the Calibre challenge.  I've attached the output of "ps" from 6.4 (which works) and 6.6 (which doesn't).  Can clearly see that calibre isn't running on 6.6.   (6.6 on top, 6.4 on bottom)

Running Unraid 6.11.0.

calibre combined - 6.6 top 6.4 bottom.jpg

Edited by wizzy
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 11:00 AM, Ikthayt said:

Thank you very much for this. I have working calibre again...

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wizzy said:

The most recent docker image update fixed my issues with calibre.  I'm able to run "latest" and not stuck on 6.4.  No change beyond updating the image.

I wish that was true for me - After reading this I went through and updated, checked with and without the security option - Same results as in my previous log files - It doesn't get to "listening" - Went back to 6.4.0 - Works instantly :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, PureLoneWolf said:

I wish that was true for me - After reading this I went through and updated, checked with and without the security option - Same results as in my previous log files - It doesn't get to "listening" - Went back to 6.4.0 - Works instantly :(

Small update - Not sure what changed or if the newer iteration of Unraid helped, but now it works with the latest version and the --security extra parameter.

Fingers crossed it stays that way now :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 7:34 AM, PureLoneWolf said:

Small update - Not sure what changed or if the newer iteration of Unraid helped, but now it works with the latest version and the --security extra parameter.

Fingers crossed it stays that way now :)

It was a lovely 11 days..:(

Updated to 6.9.0 this morning - Immediately met with Connection Refused.  Logs show as before, it doesn't get to the "Listening" stage.  Tried with and without the --security option.

Back to 6.8.0 and it's fine - My Unraid is up to date 6.11.5 if that helps.

Would anyone have a solution?

• 2 weeks later...