[Support] Linuxserver.io - Calibre

Hi all, i've been trying to use this docker in my existing setup with the rest of my content stack, but i'm running into some issues.  Is it possible to have the docker running on my application server with the library on a separate unraid box that serves as my fileserver.  If i use unassigned devices to map the share as NFS, after a while i get "stale file handle" errors when accessing the books.  If i map it as SMB (with the docker looking at the share as "Slave R/W") i get errors that the databse is locked.  

If i run everything local to the application server and keep the library in the docker, everything works fine, but this isn't ideal for me as the app server is pretty lightweight and i'd rather keep the files on the file server where they belong.  Any thoughts, all?

19 hours ago, explo910 said:

You could try and set the "CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR" variable in the Docker container (Unraid -> Docker -> calibre -> Edit -> Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device) and set it to e.g. "/config/tmp". Maybe you have to create the "tmp" folder manually first.

Variable name taken from: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/customize.html#environment-variables

Than restart your calibre container. I don't know yet if this fixes the conversion error, but it fixes the same behavior when importing a large library.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I'll give this a try

Hi! I am loving this docker, it works very well except I have an issue with sending books via wifi to all my android devices.  

My Main network is 192.168.0.* and my Wifi Network is 192.168.1.*

in the calibre settings I cannot send anything outside of 192.168.0.* are there any workarounds anyone knows of?

Thank You!

6 hours ago, Mr_Jay84 said:

Is there a way to set this to auto scan and add contents of a specific folder?

Yup - go to Preferences - Adding Books - Automatic adding.  I created a second mapped path called /import.  I just plunk books in there and they get imported and converted as necessary.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks so much for the excellent work LinuxServer! You really make a huge difference not just in the Unraid community, but to all those who want to quickly and easily get up and running around the world in so many different ways.

One request/rant... Is there any way we can allow VNC or Guacamole/RDP? I see this trend on a lot of Dockers recently, but I really don't like Guacamole and have so much with VNC working well, I wish I could just use the same for most/all of my containers. Am I the only one to request the change or option?

• 2 weeks later...

tried setting up calibre and im stuck at the webui not connecting to the server.

chrome_7qpnb7mQJC.png.b7273d3af6a6b6dbba1b6fc49acedb3c.png

after a few seconds, it will show this error.

chrome_y0vIoIbWPp.png.58b9c975fc0536b483172bd84270eff1.png

any ideas what could be wrong?

my unraid ip is 192.168.0.12 and calibre is 192.168.0.30

thanks for any help you can provide

Edited by ploggy
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like this docker for my book library needs. That said, I've been stuck on 4.13 for several months, as all the docker update attempts within unRaid fail on this docker, with one or two components freezing below 100%. I have this problem intermittently with the linuxserver unifi controller docker, but no others. This (calibre) docker hasn't completed a pull in many months. 

I've checked my firewall/IDS logs and nothing is being blocked during the update process. There is alwyays one or two files that do not completely download. Any ideas on this one?

The update always looks something like the following:

Pulling image: linuxserver/calibre:latest

IMAGE ID [1436953874]: Pulling from linuxserver/calibre. 
IMAGE ID [6b59f4d42254]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 97% of 25 MB. 
IMAGE ID [875de62a65e8]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 275 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [7af6c5f56812]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 13 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [c7bd6e473c84]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 4 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [862cf5bf9c91]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 94 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [9ee8bb076a0e]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 11% of 4 KB. 
IMAGE ID [7ea0e6f90ec9]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 616 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [cdc6542d74b6]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 103 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [8d9f46996599]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 2 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [ecc00f389bd3]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 185 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [85b4fae8406b]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 653 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 421 MB

Stopping container: calibre

Successfully stopped container 'calibre'

Removing container: calibre

Successfully removed container 'calibre'

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='calibre' --net='bridge' -e TZ="UTC" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'GUAC_USER'='XXXXX' -e 'GUAC_PASS'='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -p '8097:8080/tcp' -p '8098:8081/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/Kindle_Library/':'/books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Kindle_Library/0. Import/':'/import':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/calibre':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/calibre' 

9xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The command finished successfully!

1 hour ago, uiuc_josh said:

I really like this docker for my book library needs. That said, I've been stuck on 4.13 for several months, as all the docker update attempts within unRaid fail on this docker, with one or two components freezing below 100%. I have this problem intermittently with the linuxserver unifi controller docker, but no others. This (calibre) docker hasn't completed a pull in many months. 

I've checked my firewall/IDS logs and nothing is being blocked during the update process. There is alwyays one or two files that do not completely download. Any ideas on this one?

The update always looks something like the following:

Pulling image: linuxserver/calibre:latest

IMAGE ID [1436953874]: Pulling from linuxserver/calibre. 
IMAGE ID [6b59f4d42254]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 97% of 25 MB. 
IMAGE ID [875de62a65e8]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 275 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [7af6c5f56812]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 13 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [c7bd6e473c84]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 4 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [862cf5bf9c91]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 94 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [9ee8bb076a0e]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 11% of 4 KB. 
IMAGE ID [7ea0e6f90ec9]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 616 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [cdc6542d74b6]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 103 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [8d9f46996599]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 2 KB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [ecc00f389bd3]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 185 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 
IMAGE ID [85b4fae8406b]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 653 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. 

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 421 MB

Stopping container: calibre

Successfully stopped container 'calibre'

Removing container: calibre

Successfully removed container 'calibre'

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='calibre' --net='bridge' -e TZ="UTC" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'GUAC_USER'='XXXXX' -e 'GUAC_PASS'='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -p '8097:8080/tcp' -p '8098:8081/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/Kindle_Library/':'/books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Kindle_Library/0. Import/':'/import':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/calibre':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/calibre' 

9xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The command finished successfully!

That update log says it finished successfully.

saarg,

Yes--thanks for pointing that out. Sadly, it will run through the process, restart the container, but will still be on the old version and will be marked as requiring an update. I've seen this with other containers, occasionally, however with this container the downloads haven't successfully completed in several months, with weekly attempts. unRaid will show the same indications as you've pointed out whenever an image within an update doesn't completely download, but I've never had another docker fail consistently like this. 

So, I think something other than just a single bad update/download is at issue here.

J

7 hours ago, uiuc_josh said:

saarg,

Yes--thanks for pointing that out. Sadly, it will run through the process, restart the container, but will still be on the old version and will be marked as requiring an update. I've seen this with other containers, occasionally, however with this container the downloads haven't successfully completed in several months, with weekly attempts. unRaid will show the same indications as you've pointed out whenever an image within an update doesn't completely download, but I've never had another docker fail consistently like this. 

So, I think something other than just a single bad update/download is at issue here.

J

How do you decide that it didn't update? Have you compared the version in the webui with the version tag on docker hub or are you just looking at unraid saying there is an update available?

This isn't an issue with the container, but with unraid, so it's probably better to create a new thread about it in the correct sub-forum.

There was an issue in an earlier unraid version always showing an update was ready, so be sure you are on the latest version.

9 hours ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

looking at the default paths in the linuxserver.io calibre container, calibre puts a copy of the books in the calibre llibrary located in the appdata folder, so what is the purpose of container path "/books,"

So you can easily point calibre at /books and have the files stored at that mapped location instead of stuck inside appdata.

Just now, jonathanm said:

So you can easily point calibre at /books and have the files stored at that mapped location instead of stuck inside appdata.

and that makes sense.  for some reason, i cannot get calibre to let me either make the database at "/books" or move it there after.  any suggestions?

25 minutes ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

and that makes sense.  for some reason, i cannot get calibre to let me either make the database at "/books" or move it there after.  any suggestions?

Don't know what to tell you. I just pulled a fresh download, filled in all the initial settings, and it came right up with the database pointed at /books.