[Support] Linuxserver.io - Calibre

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Don't know what to tell you. I just pulled a fresh download, filled in all the initial settings, and it came right up with the database pointed at /books.

thank you for looking at this.  helps to have fresh eyes.  i haven't done anything different.  filled in all the paths, ports, etc.  the problem arises with The Calibre Welcome Wizard, after successfully logging into guac.  when i change the container library path from "/config" to "/books" the database either just plain fails or is corrupted.  if i choose repair, it doesn't work.  but if i choose the default "/config" then it works.

14 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Don't know what to tell you. I just pulled a fresh download, filled in all the initial settings, and it came right up with the database pointed at /books.

removed calibre.  deleted the appdata.  reinstalled.  but changed the host path for container "/books" to "/mnt/disk2/media/books" and it works, instead of "/mnt/user/media/books".

Edited by DoItMyselfToo
added original host path.

Hey all,

My apologies if this has already been asked, but a search didn't return any results.  I stupidly started a massive bulk book conversion job to make my library kindle friendly.  However I didn't realize that Calibre was going to copy all of those files into the docker image to accomplish this.  So now I'm sitting here with a full docker image and can't figure out how to clear whatever cache they're all sitting in.  Is there a folder somewhere I should go in and delete?  Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Edit: I cancelled the pending conversion jobs and increased my docker img size so I could restart the calibre docker and have some room to work.  But the image usage is still very high.  Definitely some temp data in there somewhere.

Edited by EgyptianSnakeLegs
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 3:41 AM, saarg said:

How do you decide that it didn't update? Have you compared the version in the webui with the version tag on docker hub or are you just looking at unraid saying there is an update available?

This isn't an issue with the container, but with unraid, so it's probably better to create a new thread about it in the correct sub-forum.

There was an issue in an earlier unraid version always showing an update was ready, so be sure you are on the latest version.

Ok, so mine is stuck on 4.13 and 4.20.0 is current. I am on the latest Docker, so I'll try a different forum. The only reason I put it here is that this is the only docker I seem to consistently have this issue with (out of 8). 

5 hours ago, uiuc_josh said:

Ok, so mine is stuck on 4.13 and 4.20.0 is current. I am on the latest Docker, so I'll try a different forum. The only reason I put it here is that this is the only docker I seem to consistently have this issue with (out of 8). 

Our latest release is 4.20.
So it looks like unraid is not updating the calibre container. Try removing the container including the image and then reinstall it from previous apps in CA. Or do a force update.

8 hours ago, saarg said:

Our latest release is 4.20.
So it looks like unraid is not updating the calibre container. Try removing the container including the image and then reinstall it from previous apps in CA. Or do a force update.

OK--have force updated, but will give the manual remove/replace a try. Thanks!

saarg,

I think you were correct that this wasn't a calibre issue. I removed and had similar issues trying to reload.

I'm not  100%, but I think some IPs from the CDN that relays some of the calibre images popped onto a threat list, so a just few of the streams incoming were getting hit by my IDS.  Thanks for the help!

J

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, J05u said:

I am not the smartest one, can you explain how to password protect enter in to webui?

It's explained in the readme on GitHub linked in the first post. The variables you need to add the username and password to should already be in your template.

2 hours ago, saarg said:

It's explained in the readme on GitHub linked in the first post. The variables you need to add the username and password to should already be in your template.

of course i checked read me, but unfortunately i am not smart enough to figure out how to set this password protection, as i want to have access via reverse proxy

3 hours ago, J05u said:

of course i checked read me, but unfortunately i am not smart enough to figure out how to set this password protection, as i want to have access via reverse proxy

If you want a holding my hand guide, you will not get it. It's all detailed in the readme.

Set the user in the GUAC_USER variable and then the md5 hash of the password in the variable GUAC_PASS. Both variables are already in the template for calibre.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:19 PM, EgyptianSnakeLegs said:

Hey all,

My apologies if this has already been asked, but a search didn't return any results.  I stupidly started a massive bulk book conversion job to make my library kindle friendly.  However I didn't realize that Calibre was going to copy all of those files into the docker image to accomplish this.  So now I'm sitting here with a full docker image and can't figure out how to clear whatever cache they're all sitting in.  Is there a folder somewhere I should go in and delete?  Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Edit: I cancelled the pending conversion jobs and increased my docker img size so I could restart the calibre docker and have some room to work.  But the image usage is still very high.  Definitely some temp data in there somewhere.

I am having this same problem. I have set the library in the docker settings to be on my share drive, but it still seems it's copying things to the docker. When doing conversions, it is filling the docker image and I am assuming it may be filling with temporary files. Does anyone know how to fix this?

10 hours ago, Foxhound said:

I am having this same problem. I have set the library in the docker settings to be on my share drive, but it still seems it's copying things to the docker. When doing conversions, it is filling the docker image and I am assuming it may be filling with temporary files. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I came here with the exact same problem after noticing that my /books folder had no content and the database and books were written to the /appdata path.  If you would literally read the last page of this thread (this page), you would find the answer just as I did and wouldn't have to ask the same question.  Searching and reading the threads would help in not cluttering the forums with the same question that has already been answered.  As stated before, when you run the wizard upon setup, make sure you have the /disk/books path set correctly.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:19 PM, EgyptianSnakeLegs said:

Hey all,

Your content is being written to the image because the path for the library was changed via the wizard.  As mentioned above, reading the posts on this thread should clue you into this.

54 minutes ago, greg_gorrell said:

I came here with the exact same problem after noticing that my /books folder had no content and the database and books were written to the /appdata path.  If you would literally read the last page of this thread (this page), you would find the answer just as I did and wouldn't have to ask the same question.  Searching and reading the threads would help in not cluttering the forums with the same question that has already been answered.  As stated before, when you run the wizard upon setup, make sure you have the /disk/books path set correctly.

Let me try this again, from the beginning. I deleted the appdata and downloaded linuxserver's calibre. I set the /books library path to /mnt/disk4/Ebooks/calibre_library/ then installed the Docker.

Booted up Calibre in guac and have the prompt to 'choose a location' for my books. These paths seem to be all in the docker image still. I can't type in, or navigate to the actual ebook library i set up in disk4. What should i choose?

This is where i'm stuck at. Please advise

35 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Great container, thanks!

I am facing some permission. When adding movies to the library, the files get copied to the specified library folder. Unfortunately, these copied files then have a permission issue that I cannot edit them.

Any ideas?

Movies? Are you posting in the correct thread?

So, I'm dumb and just realized the container I was using for calibre has been deprecated for like a year now. Is there a way to reuse the config from the previous one, or will I have to manually recreate the configurations, like auto-import and convert on import and such?

I was using the aptalca/docker-rdp-calibre container, support thread here:

8 hours ago, Eyeheartpie said:

So, I'm dumb and just realized the container I was using for calibre has been deprecated for like a year now. Is there a way to reuse the config from the previous one, or will I have to manually recreate the configurations, like auto-import and convert on import and such?

I was using the aptalca/docker-rdp-calibre container, support thread here:

Iirc there were some minor changes to where things are stored under config. So I recommend setting up the new one fresh, and then you can copy over your books and database to the correct locations

On 8/3/2020 at 11:17 PM, steve1977 said:

Great container, thanks!

I am facing some permission. When adding movies to the library, the files get copied to the specified library folder. Unfortunately, these copied files then have a permission issue that I cannot edit them.

Any ideas?

Above should obviously read books ;)

Any thoughts what could be causing my permission issue? Calibre docker imports the book, but the book has the wrong RW permissions in the library folder. I can open the ebook, but not change the file name.

Thanks for your help!

17 hours ago, aptalca said:

Iirc there were some minor changes to where things are stored under config. So I recommend setting up the new one fresh, and then you can copy over your books and database to the correct locations

Would doing a calibre internal export and import work to move the libraries like this? Or should I just copy-paste them to the new location and then tell new calibre to use existing folder for library?

10 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Above should obviously read books ;)

Any thoughts what could be causing my permission issue? Calibre docker imports the book, but the book has the wrong RW permissions in the library folder. I can open the ebook, but not change the file name.

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure what you mean by permission errors. What exactly are you doing?

If you are trying to edit the file from Windows explorer, then that is your issue, not permissions.

3 hours ago, Eyeheartpie said:

Would doing a calibre internal export and import work to move the libraries like this? Or should I just copy-paste them to the new location and then tell new calibre to use existing folder for library?

For posterity, this is what I did to migrate from the old deprecated container to the new one:

1. Backed up library folders and appdata/calibre folder just in case I jacked something up.
  2. Exported all calibre libraries through calibre interface to an open share where I was storing all my books anyways.
  3. Stopped old calibre container.
  4. Deleted appdata/calibre because I wanted to use the same name/location for the new one, and I was getting a failed error when importing the libraries when I used a different appdata location for the new container.
    • Explanation: I initially set up the new container to use calibre-test as the container name and the appdata folder name. When I tried to import the libraries, I got an error that said "appdata/calibre is not an empty folder, import failed". I assume something in what I was importing was trying to use the old file path, not the new one, so I figured it would be easier to just use the same name if I wanted to import my libraries.
  5. Deleted all the library folders I had and recreated them as empty folders, to make sure no db files or hidden files were left.
  6. Installed new calibre container using same ports and pointing /books to the same directory I used to use in the old container.
    • Not sure what the purpose of /import is. Is it automatically monitored, or is it set up to be a folder that can then be set up in calibre to autoimport? I already had a folder set up in my libraries folder as where lazylibrarian moves books to, which are then ingested by calibre, so I just pointed this at an empty folder in my calibre library folder.
  7. Launched calibre web UI once, and set up the first library inside the config directory, as default.
  8. Imported the previously exported config from step 2, which imported all my settings and plugins as well.
  9. Changed the auto-import directory from libraries/lazylibrarian to books/lazylibrarian, since the previous container used libraries instead of books for the default directory.
  10. Confirmed that my settings were still working, and that I can still connect via calibre-companion on Android.

So far everything seems to work as usual. I'll have to wait and see to check if my lazylibrarian workflow still works as it used to. Once that one is confirmed, I'll delete the old container and the backups I made.

• 3 weeks later...

Im having trouble getting to the WebUI, when I click it just opens another tab of my unraid dashboard. Ive tried typing in the ip and port manually and it says "This site can’t be reached". I dont see anything else using conflicting with the port either. Ive tried reinstalling and cleaning up the appdata with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.