[Support] Linuxserver.io - ddclient

1 hour ago, saarg said:

Please post your docker run command and also the output of the command docker exec -it ddclient ls -al /ddclient.conf

Here is the results of the docker exec command:   -rw------- 1 root root 5654 Feb  6 13:15 /ddclient.conf

The run command when I update the container is: root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='ddclient' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/ddclient/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/ddclient' 

38e494fbb43ced3a2a5262aba904fc95d8592d23dc2ec4ac14c0b47c68f5b5a3

I've tried completely removing and reinstalling a couple times now and end up with the same results every time.

8 hours ago, rclifton said:

Here is the results of the docker exec command:   -rw------- 1 root root 5654 Feb  6 13:15 /ddclient.conf

The run command when I update the container is: root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='ddclient' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/ddclient/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/ddclient' 

38e494fbb43ced3a2a5262aba904fc95d8592d23dc2ec4ac14c0b47c68f5b5a3

I've tried completely removing and reinstalling a couple times now and end up with the same results every time.

Try to run this command and see if it works after that.

docker exec -it ddclient chown abc:abc /ddclient.conf

For some reason the config file is owned by root. Have to check if that is something we did.

42 minutes ago, saarg said:

Try to run this command and see if it works after that.

docker exec -it ddclient chown abc:abc /ddclient.conf

For some reason the config file is owned by root. Have to check if that is something we did.

Fixed!!  As soon as I ran that command it started running as it should..  Thanks a bunch!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 1:05 AM, rbm said:

Can ddclient be used to update OpenDNS dynamic IPs, as a replacement for the programs recommended by OpenDNS to perform that task?  See https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227987787 for an explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish.

It's working for me. I followed these instructions: https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227987727-Linux-IP-Updater-for-Dynamic-Networks

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2020 at 12:20 PM, dapiedude said:

For anyone on Google Domains using Google's Dynamic DNS and this DDclient, I've been able to this working using the following:

daemon=600
syslog=yes
pid=/var/run/ddclient/ddclient.pid
ssl=yes
protocol=dyndns2
use=web
server=domains.google.com
login=generated-login,
password=generated-password
my.domain.tld

No need to have anything else uncommented. Should be simple enough

Thank you -- this solved my problem.  

5 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

It would be great if the log produced by this could have the date/time by each entry.

If you mean the docker log that pops up when you click the log icon in the webui, that is unraids departement. But you can open the log on the command line with timestamp. Might only be possible if you tail the log, but try it out using the below link.

https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/logs/

A few questions. 

1. Which config are we editing?  The one in appdata or are we editing the one in the filing system? There are several.

2. Which config is the container executing?  All the documents say: /etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf.   Is part of this setup of this container to transfer the config file to that location?

3. It is 100% not necessary to have this container running all the time.  It has 1 function to and then then should exit/shutdown the container.  This is a 2 part question. Can this be done natively? If so what would be the recommended path? 

3a.  Does the container automatically execute the ddclient command? Is it using cron? 

3b.  Pardon my newb-ness in Unraid, Can we schedule this container to execute every hour to execute the command it needs and then shutdown the container? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated if it is a script.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, pish180 said:

A few questions. 

1. Which config are we editing?  The one in appdata or are we editing the one in the filing system? There are several.

2. Which config is the container executing?  All the documents say: /etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf.   Is part of this setup of this container to transfer the config file to that location?

3. It is 100% not necessary to have this container running all the time.  It has 1 function to and then then should exit/shutdown the container.  This is a 2 part question. Can this be done natively? If so what would be the recommended path? 

3a.  Does the container automatically execute the ddclient command? Is it using cron? 

3b.  Pardon my newb-ness in Unraid, Can we schedule this container to execute every hour to execute the command it needs and then shutdown the container? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated if it is a script.

Thanks!

1 & 2: The config file in your appdata folder. You don't have to think about any other files to edit.

3: I won't see a reason to not keep the container running. It's not using much resources. Schedule a stop and start script using cron if you are worried it eats to much resources. There is a plugin for that.

The container runs the ddclient binary which takes care of checking for a new IP as configured in the config file.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, saarg said:

1 & 2: The config file in your appdata folder. You don't have to think about any other files to edit.

3: I won't see a reason to not keep the container running. It's not using much resources. Schedule a stop and start script using cron if you are worried it eats to much resources. There is a plugin for that.

The container runs the ddclient binary which takes care of checking for a new IP as configured in the config file.

Thanks for the replies.

1. Perfect thanks.  (confusing because there is a ddclient.conf file in "/", "/etc" and in "/config". 

2. It's more of a sanitary/security/housekeeping concern. This docker has 1 specific task to accomplish so IMO it really should just execute and be done.

3. How is ddclient being executed? (quick look at the github page, seems it's using s6? which i'm not familiar with at all) (I looked at the obvious cron.* and crontab and that's not being used).

Politely
My Feedback: 

I think it would be helpful for anyone using this docker to know:

1.  A description of which conf file to modify.  (this is somewhat mentioned in the "Application Setup" section on the other links but not on the Unraid Posting).  The clutter of other ddclient.conf files makes it confusing.

Application Setup
Edit the ddclient.conf file found in your /config volume. This config file has many providers to choose from and you basically just have to uncomment your provider and add username/password where requested. If you modify ddclient.conf, ddclient will automaticcaly restart and read the config.

2. A description of how the conf file is executed and when.  Noobs to s6 would find this helpful.

3.  Overall this is a great addition to my Unraid server it just needs some polishing on the documentation. 

---------------------------------

I'm not good a writing scripts but I would image we could have ddclient return a result and then run the shutdown command?

Not sure anyone would want to help me and the community write a script?

1. I was thinking something that would execute on boot but have a prompt, press any key to cancel (wait 30 seconds if not response and then execute).  This would allow the admin time to cancel the execution and make changes (via Docker exec console) if necessary.

2.  A nice to have would be a simple log output added to the appdata folder that says ddclient executed success/fail - %date stamp%.  

3.  Running the container on a schedule can be done via CA User Scripts app which requires another script.  CA User Scripts allows the Unraid script to be added to the cron tasks for the Unraid server.  I would image this would be a docker run script?   I would need some help there as well. 

Hopefully what I'm mentioning would help everyone looking to use the ddclient container. 

58 minutes ago, pish180 said:

Thanks for the replies.

1. Perfect thanks.  (confusing because there is a ddclient.conf file in "/", "/etc" and in "/config". 

2. It's more of a sanitary/security/housekeeping concern. This docker has 1 specific task to accomplish so IMO it really should just execute and be done.

3. How is ddclient being executed? (quick look at the github page, seems it's using s6? which i'm not familiar with at all) (I looked at the obvious cron.* and crontab and that's not being used).

Politely
My Feedback: 

I think it would be helpful for anyone using this docker to know:

1.  A description of which conf file to modify.  (this is somewhat mentioned in the "Application Setup" section on the other links but not on the Unraid Posting).  The clutter of other ddclient.conf files makes it confusing.

Application Setup
Edit the ddclient.conf file found in your /config volume. This config file has many providers to choose from and you basically just have to uncomment your provider and add username/password where requested. If you modify ddclient.conf, ddclient will automaticcaly restart and read the config.

2. A description of how the conf file is executed and when.  Noobs to s6 would find this helpful.

3.  Overall this is a great addition to my Unraid server it just needs some polishing on the documentation. 

---------------------------------

I'm not good a writing scripts but I would image we could have ddclient return a result and then run the shutdown command?

Not sure anyone would want to help me and the community write a script?

1. I was thinking something that would execute on boot but have a prompt, press any key to cancel (wait 30 seconds if not response and then execute).  This would allow the admin time to cancel the execution and make changes (via Docker exec console) if necessary.

2.  A nice to have would be a simple log output added to the appdata folder that says ddclient executed success/fail - %date stamp%.  

3.  Running the container on a schedule can be done via CA User Scripts app which requires another script.  CA User Scripts allows the Unraid script to be added to the cron tasks for the Unraid server.  I would image this would be a docker run script?   I would need some help there as well. 

Hopefully what I'm mentioning would help everyone looking to use the ddclient container. 

Why are you making something simple into something complicated?

Linuxserver have one place we document things an that is GitHub.  We are not unraid specific, so to simplify things we have one place where we put the documentation.

The container have one task and that is to run ddclient to monitor the public IP and update it if needed.

Thank you for your suggestions, but the container will not be changed to how you want it to be.

• 3 weeks later...

just trying to get this setup using Google Domains and i'm editing the ddclient.conf file but the file is overwritten back to the original each time i restart the container. I'm editing the file via docker exec -it ddclient bash and running vi ddclient.conf

is there a correct way to edit the file? should i be passing in the edits via the container template?

thank you in advance.

54 minutes ago, EvilTiger said:

just trying to get this setup using Google Domains and i'm editing the ddclient.conf file but the file is overwritten back to the original each time i restart the container. I'm editing the file via docker exec -it ddclient bash and running vi ddclient.conf

is there a correct way to edit the file? should i be passing in the edits via the container template?

thank you in advance.

As part of the template, a config share would have been mounted (typically in your appdata share), and in that share is a conf file. Edit that file, and when the docker restarts, the file in the config share is copied overtop of the .conf file within the docker container and then loaded.

10 minutes ago, Caldorian said:

As part of the template, a config share would have been mounted (typically in your appdata share), and in that share is a conf file. Edit that file, and when the docker restarts, the file in the config share is copied overtop of the .conf file within the docker container and then loaded.

yup, i was editing within the container ... it worked when i edited from outside the container. thank you for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tucubanito07 said:

I got this setup with Google domains. I get this warning "WARNING: found neither ipv4 nor ipv6 address" do i need to worry about this??

Yes. I use cloudflare and namecheap and I get this warning when i don't put the domain name in the "server =" field. 

Hi, just curious...I checked for the Network_type this docker uses and it shows:

ddclientbridge172.17.0.2???

ddclient  bridge   172.17.0.2    ???

If I selected bridge why is it using not my actual unraid ip and instead uses 172.11.0.2 (which belongs to

docker0)?

28 minutes ago, luca2 said:

Hi, just curious...I checked for the Network_type this docker uses and it shows:

ddclientbridge172.17.0.2???

ddclient  bridge   172.17.0.2    ???

If I selected bridge why is it using not my actual unraid ip and instead uses 172.11.0.2 (which belongs to

docker0)?

Where do you see this?

Every container get an ip from the docker network when it's using a bridge. If you look at the unraid docker tab you will see the unraid and the docker ip mapping.

3 hours ago, saarg said:

Where do you see this?

Every container get an ip from the docker network when it's using a bridge. If you look at the unraid docker tab you will see the unraid and the docker ip mapping.

If I look at the docker tab you see this:

imagen.thumb.png.2e1cbb8f500bd7d402a330724bb806e4.png

And if you select "edit" in the docker ddclient > look at "docker allocation" and you see this:

imagen.thumb.png.24d65423175b6e008a29c90ea8af49c9.png

daemon=300                              # check every 300 seconds
syslog=yes                              # log update msgs to syslog
pid=/var/run/ddclient/ddclient.pid      # record PID in file.
ssl=yes                                 # use ssl-support.  Works with

## NameCheap (namecheap.com)
##
 use=web, web=dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/getip
 protocol=namecheap,                            \
 server=dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com,        \
 login=mydomain.xxx,                      \
 password=mydomainpassword \
 @

Edited by luca2
added .conf info:
30 minutes ago, luca2 said:

If I look at the docker tab you see this:

imagen.thumb.png.2e1cbb8f500bd7d402a330724bb806e4.png

And if you select "edit" in the docker ddclient > look at "docker allocation" and you see this:

imagen.thumb.png.24d65423175b6e008a29c90ea8af49c9.png

daemon=300                              # check every 300 seconds
syslog=yes                              # log update msgs to syslog
pid=/var/run/ddclient/ddclient.pid      # record PID in file.
ssl=yes                                 # use ssl-support.  Works with

## NameCheap (namecheap.com)
##
 use=web, web=dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/getip
 protocol=namecheap,                            \
 server=dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com,        \
 login=mydomain.xxx,                      \
 password=mydomainpassword \
 @

Oh, yeah. ddclient doesn't need any port mappings, so unraids webui can't extract any info about the ports and therefor doesn't show anything. So nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, saarg said:

Oh, yeah. ddclient doesn't need any port mappings, so unraids webui can't extract any info about the ports and therefor doesn't show anything. So nothing to worry about.

Ok. I understand that about ports. But dont understand how it is assigned 172.17.0.2 instead of 192.168.1.40. ddclient network_type=bridge, so it should have this ip 192.168.1.40?

Also, I get this error in ddclient log:

WARNING: cannot connect to dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com:80 socket: IO::Socket::INET: Bad hostname 'dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com'

ddclient updates (as I can confirm in the docker log) the right wan IP, but how can I check it is connecting to namecheap and sends it to namecheap?

Edited by luca2
added error in log:
1 hour ago, luca2 said:

Ok. I understand that about ports. But dont understand how it is assigned 172.17.0.2 instead of 192.168.1.40. ddclient network_type=bridge, so it should have this ip 192.168.1.40?

Also, I get this error in ddclient log:

WARNING: cannot connect to dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com:80 socket: IO::Socket::INET: Bad hostname 'dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com'

ddclient updates (as I can confirm in the docker log) the right wan IP, but how can I check it is connecting to namecheap and sends it to namecheap?

I already said that every container get an IP like that when using the bridge. That is the internal doker networks IP range.

Did you try to access that URL in your browser? It gives an error.

You can set the IP in namecheap to something else and then see if ddclient updates the IP to the correct one.

Edited by saarg
I already said that every container get an IP like that when using the bridge. That is the internal doker networks IP range.

Did you try to access that URL in your browser? It gives an error.

You can set the IP in namecheap to something else and then see if ddclient updates the IP to the correct one.

Hi saarg, first thing thx for your support.

I finally had to spend some time to learn about the basic concepts to setup a domain (host, subdomain, A record, Ddns, Cname,...). I know now the problem was due to a wrong config in my domain at namecheap. Now it is working.

Anyway I managed to implement a script in my router so that my IP is updated even with unraid powered off. In case anyone is interested in it let me know.