[Support] Linuxserver.io - ddclient

4 hours ago, bramv101 said:

Permission denied when i try to open the appdata folder?

All other appdata folders open without problems.

Any idea what is going wrong here?

Yes, use ssh. The permissions for the files doesn't allow you to browse the folder.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, bramv101 said:

Permission denied when i try to open the appdata folder?

All other appdata folders open without problems.

Any idea what is going wrong here?

Same

On 5/23/2020 at 12:09 AM, saarg said:

Yes, use ssh. The permissions for the files doesn't allow you to browse the folder.

How?

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, fireflower said:

I think I am starting to go nuts but updated DDclient and it rewrote over my config and now I see to have 4-5 ddclient.confs in various locations, which one I should use? :D

The one in the /config folder gets copied to the correct location.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dancue said:

Thank you for this. Would I be able to do multiple domains for Namecheap? Can someone provide me an example of who I would do that?

I found this article... https://www.labsrc.com/multiple-domains-with-ddclient-namecheap/

That helped me set it up and it changed the IP address successfully... it's just not changing it every 5 minutes as it's supposed to, only initially when saving the file did it do it.

Do you think you can add time stamps to the log so we know when these events happened?

59 minutes ago, dancue said:

I found this article... https://www.labsrc.com/multiple-domains-with-ddclient-namecheap/

That helped me set it up and it changed the IP address successfully... it's just not changing it every 5 minutes as it's supposed to, only initially when saving the file did it do it.

Do you think you can add time stamps to the log so we know when these events happened?

The IP shouldn't change every 5 minutes. It checks if the IP is changed at a set interval that you can customize in the config file.

Ddclient doesn't write timestamps to its log, so not much we can do about that.

12 minutes ago, saarg said:

The IP shouldn't change every 5 minutes. It checks if the IP is changed at a set interval that you can customize in the config file.

Ddclient doesn't write timestamps to its log, so not much we can do about that.

I'm sorry if I was not clear. I changed the IP manually on Namecheap to test the daemon and it hasn't changed it back to the proper IP address after 5 minutes. The only time it changed the IP (after manually changing Namecheap to test) was when I edit the config file and click on save. 

On 1/23/2020 at 5:17 AM, Paintsu said:

EDIT: Seems that many other people are struggling with same problem. Any workarounds would be much appreciated. It seems that ddclient does not support this functionality out of the box.

I found a workaround for this issue. Ddclient stores information of last known ip in cache file, if this cache file is not present it does update. I created a script in userscripts to delete this file daily, and it updates my ip after daemon checks my ip next time. Command inside script is: docker exec -t ddclient rm /var/cache/ddclient/ddclient.cache

I'm thinking your solution may work for me. Would you care to explain how to do that? 

7 hours ago, dancue said:

I'm sorry if I was not clear. I changed the IP manually on Namecheap to test the daemon and it hasn't changed it back to the proper IP address after 5 minutes. The only time it changed the IP (after manually changing Namecheap to test) was when I edit the config file and click on save. 

Your IP have not changed, so there is nothing for ddclient to do. ddclient only updates namecheap if your IP changes.

It's working as it should.

11 hours ago, saarg said:

Your IP have not changed, so there is nothing for ddclient to do. ddclient only updates namecheap if your IP changes.

It's working as it should.

I think I understand now. It has to see a difference in my actual IP address... not a difference in what Namecheap has as the IP address. I was trying to test by changing the IP address in Namecheap but it will not work that way. I'll have to wait until my IP address actually changes. Got it. Thanks for the response and thanks for the great work as always.

1 hour ago, dancue said:

I think I understand now. It has to see a difference in my actual IP address... not a difference in what Namecheap has as the IP address. I was trying to test by changing the IP address in Namecheap but it will not work that way. I'll have to wait until my IP address actually changes. Got it. Thanks for the response and thanks for the great work as always.

Since it worked after you edited the config file, the settings are good and it should work when your actual IP change some time in the future.

• 4 months later...

For anyone trying to debug this, it can really help setting the verbose flag in your config file. That makes every attempt to update get output to the logs you can pull up by clicking on it in the Docker tab and going to logs. For example, this is the top of my ddclient.conf

daemon=600                              # Time in seconds to check for IP address changes and make updates
syslog=yes                              # log update msgs to syslog
verbose=yes
pid=/var/run/ddclient/ddclient.pid      # record PID in file.
ssl=yes

And now this is output to my logs

CONNECT: dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com
Setting up watches.
Watches established.
CONNECTED: using HTTP
SENDING: GET /getip HTTP/1.0
SENDING: Host: dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com
SENDING: User-Agent: ddclient/3.9.1
SENDING: Connection: close
SENDING:
SENDING:
RECEIVE: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
RECEIVE: Cache-Control: private
RECEIVE: Content-Type: text/html
RECEIVE: Set-Cookie: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX; path=/
RECEIVE: Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 23:49:32 GMT
RECEIVE: Connection: close
RECEIVE: Content-Length: 12
RECEIVE:
RECEIVE: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
INFO: forcing updating * because no cached entry exists.
INFO: setting IP address to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX for *
UPDATE: updating *
CONNECT: dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com
CONNECTED: using SSL
SENDING: GET /update?host=*&domain=XXXXXXXXXXXX.com&password=XXXXXXXXXX&ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX HTTP/1.0
SENDING: Host: dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com
SENDING: User-Agent: ddclient/3.9.1
SENDING: Connection: close
SENDING:
SENDING:
RECEIVE: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
RECEIVE: Cache-Control: private
RECEIVE: Content-Type: text/html
RECEIVE: Set-Cookie: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX; path=/
RECEIVE: Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 23:49:32 GMT
RECEIVE: Connection: close
RECEIVE: Content-Length: 234
RECEIVE:
RECEIVE: <?xml version="1.0"?><interface-response><Command>SETDNSHOST</Command><Language>eng</Language><IP>XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX</IP><ErrCount>0</ErrCount><ResponseCount>0</ResponseCount><Done>true</Done><debug><![CDATA[]]></debug></interface-response>

This let me debug some issues and lets me verify that my IP is still being updated on occasion. 

Edited by SolaAesir
15 hours ago, SolaAesir said:

For anyone trying to debug this, it can really help setting the verbose flag in your config file. That makes every attempt to update get output to the logs you can pull up by clicking on it in the Docker tab and going to logs. For example, this is the top of my ddclient.conf

And now this is output to my logs

This let me debug some issues and lets me verify that my IP is still being updated on occasion. 

Thanks for this!

• 1 month later...

I see that the latest ddclient versions support using cloudflare's API tokens instead of the global API token. However, I haven't been able too get my ddclient.conf file updated properly to take it.

Anyone had any success doing so? I tried the Cloudflare DDNS docker, and that worked without issue, so I know the token is good.

What I'm seeing if I include the line "login=token", then the API request is sent to cloudflare, but returns a failure:

{"success":false,"errors":[{"code":6003,"message":"Invalid request headers","error_chain":[{"code":6102,"message":"Invalid format for X-Auth-Email header"},{"code":6103,"message":"Invalid format for X-Auth-Key header"}]}],"messages":[],"result":null}

However, if I remove the "login=token" line entirely, then the docker doesn't even attempt to send the request:

WARNING: skipping host: subdomain.example.com: 'login=' is an invalid login.

Edited by Caldorian
More information
17 hours ago, Caldorian said:

I see that the latest ddclient versions support using cloudflare's API tokens instead of the global API token. However, I haven't been able too get my ddclient.conf file updated properly to take it.

Anyone had any success doing so? I tried the Cloudflare DDNS docker, and that worked without issue, so I know the token is good.

What I'm seeing if I include the line "login=token", then the API request is sent to cloudflare, but returns a failure:

However, if I remove the "login=token" line entirely, then the docker doesn't even attempt to send the request:

Did you follow the comments for cloudflare in the ddclient.conf file on theie GitHub repo? It has info on how to set it up and from the looks of it, you haven't read it.

22 hours ago, saarg said:

Did you follow the comments for cloudflare in the ddclient.conf file on theie GitHub repo? It has info on how to set it up and from the looks of it, you haven't read it.

I have. I used the same ddclient.conf file that was posted at https://github.com/ddclient/ddclient/pull/102#issuecomment-619370329, and have my API zones setup specified. Modifying the .conf file to remove the login line as identified on line 195 at https://github.com/ddclient/ddclient/blob/develop/ddclient.conf.in seems to cause  the client to be unable to parse the .conf file. So I'm stuck, and curious if anyone else has gotten it to work.

Hi there !

I have several questions about how to use this docker image.

• First : AFAIK ddclient is not started when the docker container is turned up. A "ps -a" in a shell in the container does not show anything related to ddclient. Did I miss something ?
  • Then : A "ddclient" command in the same shell seems to work fine as long as my ddclient.conf file is in /etc/ddclient. For this, I need to fix the default app template, replacing /config mount by /etc/ddclient. Is that normal ?
  • Final : How to make ddclient being turned up when the container is revived ?

Thanks for reading !

Edited by Raf1888