[Support] Linuxserver.io - Emby

I have a problem since I updated to the latest emby version yesterday. Today when playing a movie via Emby on my shield Emby stopped working and the Shield client couldn't connect to the Emby Server anymore. So I checked and saw that my Cache of 250Gb is full. Since only Emby was affected I checked the emby files in my appdata folder (which is set to "prefer" regarding cache usage) and emby created a 2 log files that are more than 200GB big. 

embyserver-63757670400.txt - 73GB (created today at midnight)

embyserver.txt - 135 GB (created just before emby stopped working today)

Any idea what's happening here? I did not have that problem with any previous version of Emby. Can I just delete those log files and will Emby start building up a new huge logfile then?

Thank you in advance

edit: When trying to restart Emby Docker I get an "Execution Error - Error Code 403"

Edited by Janne
5 minutes ago, Janne said:

I have a problem since I updated to the latest emby version yesterday. Today when playing a movie via Emby on my shield Emby stopped working and the Shield client couldn't connect to the Emby Server anymore. So I checked and saw that my Cache of 250Gb is full. Since only Emby was affected I checked the emby files in my appdata folder (which is set to "prefer" regarding cache usage) and emby created a 2 log files that are more than 200GB big. 

embyserver-63757670400.txt - 73GB (created today at midnight)

embyserver.txt - 135 GB (created just before emby stopped working today)

Any idea what's happening here? I did not have that problem with any previous version of Emby. Can I just delete those log files and will Emby start building up a new huge logfile then?

Thank you in advance

Check if you enabled debug logging. You can safely delete those logs.

12 minutes ago, saarg said:

Check if you enabled debug logging. You can safely delete those logs.

Thank you for the reply. I could delete the files but the error message still came up when trying to restart the Emby docker. Then I realised that not only the Emby docker didn't work but all the docker containers I updated yesterday (Emby, MariaDB, Nextcloud). All the other ones that were not updated yesterday still worked. 

Anyway, I could delete the log files and after restarting the server all docker containers (incl. emby) could be started again. I'll keep an eye on the emby logs. I hope they don't fill up my Cache drive every other day now.

edit: Debug Logging was disabled all the time.

Edited by Janne
  • 3 weeks later...

How do I setup paths for this Emby container for two tv folders?  Here are the two I want:

1. /data/media/tv/    (used for tv shows from Usenet)
  2. /data/media/tv antenna/    (used for tv shows from antenna and Emby DVR)

My share is "data".  

Here is for 1. data/media/tv

image.png.bb31c1643a34177270c0e4d8b6dd51a6.png

Do I need to create a another container path for "tv antenna" for recordings? If yes, what do I put for container path and host path?

The following did not work:

image.png

Edited by xrqp
2 hours ago, xrqp said:

How do I setup paths for this Emby container for two tv folders?  Here are the two I want:

1. /data/media/tv/    (used for tv shows from Usenet)
  2. /data/media/tv antenna/    (used for tv shows from antenna and Emby DVR)

My share is "data".  

Here is for 1. data/media/tv

image.png.bb31c1643a34177270c0e4d8b6dd51a6.png

Do I need to create a another container path for "tv antenna" for recordings? If yes, what do I put for container path and host path?

The following did not work:

image.png

You can't use the same container path in two folder mappings. They need to be different.

All the sudden my emby is broken

The container has access to the internet

But emby itself cannot access the internet.

I have tried other containers and they work fine I'm not sure what has changed but for example when it fetches the news here is what it says in the log:

021-06-21 00:22:30.987 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.3.0
	Command line: /app/emby/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /app/emby/ffdetect -ffmpeg /app/emby/ffmpeg -ffprobe /app/emby/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Linux version 5.10.28-Unraid (root@Develop) (gcc (GCC) 9.3.0, GNU ld version 2.33.1-slack15) #1 SMP Wed Apr 7 08:23:18 PDT 2021
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: app/emby/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: /config
	Application path: /app/emby
	System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'source')
	   at System.Linq.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(ExceptionArgument argument)
	   at System.Linq.OrderedEnumerable`2..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, IComparer`1 comparer, Boolean descending, OrderedEnumerable`1 parent)
	   at System.Linq.Enumerable.OrderByDescending[TSource,TKey](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.News.NewsService.GetProductNewsInternal(NewsQuery query)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.News.NewsService.GetProductNews(NewsQuery query)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.NewsService.Get(GetProductNews request)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.Linq
	TargetSite: Void ThrowArgumentNullException(System.Linq.ExceptionArgument)

If I try fetching my livetv tuner this is what returns

2021-06-21 00:26:54.571 Error M3UTunerHost: Error getting channel list
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: /app/emby/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /app/emby/ffdetect -ffmpeg /app/emby/ffmpeg -ffprobe /app/emby/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Linux version 5.10.28-Unraid (root@Develop) (gcc (GCC) 9.3.0, GNU ld version 2.33.1-slack15) #1 SMP Wed Apr 7 08:23:18 PDT 2021
	System.ArgumentException: System.ArgumentException: Stream was not writable.
	   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(Stream stream, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean leaveOpen)
	   at Emby.Common.Implementations.Serialization.FormattingStreamWriter..ctor(Stream stream, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean leaveOpen, IFormatProvider formatProvider)
	   at Emby.Common.Implementations.Serialization.JsonSerializer.SerializeToStream(Object obj, Stream stream)
	   at Emby.Common.Implementations.Serialization.JsonSerializer.SerializeToFile(Object obj, String file)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.BaseTunerHost.GetChannels(TunerHostInfo host, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void .ctor(System.IO.Stream, System.Text.Encoding, Int32, Boolean)

2021-06-21 00:26:54.575 Error LiveTV: Error getting channels
	*** Error Report ***
	System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
	   at Emby.LiveTV.EmbyTV.GetTunerChannelsAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.LiveTV
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

• 4 months later...

Hi, thanks for this Docker. I've been using it for a while now (and sent a small donation quite a while ago :) )

I got an email on 15/11 saying a new version of the Emby Docker is available: emby [2a2b..5c38]. My system is set to auto update Dockers, so i assume it has as in the Docker view it says "up-to-date".

First time using Emby since the 14th i think, i now get "Forbidden" (just Forbidden, not 404 or anything else) via WebUI and the mobile app can't connect to the NAS. I did "Fix Common Problems" but it didn't find anything with my unRAID setup.

Emby seems to start ok, it says it's running. I restarted it, and even rebooted the server.

I had a look at the directory via the Console menu ls -l and i notice that some files and directories have root:root while others are abc:users. I don't have any 'abc' user. No idea if that's related to my problem. I'm not very familiar with Docker.

I tried to look at the log, but there's no date-stamps and doesn't seem to say anything like "error" or such and i don't have a clue what i'm looking for.

Suggestions/troubleshooting steps appreciated :)

Edited by Derek_
clarify error

Hi,

I've recenlty switched to this docker to make use of the Nvidia Transcoding. All has been running fine since switching from my previous Emby docker. Yesterday this docker did an update and now I'm nto able to refresh any of my metadata. It seems like Emby can't connect to the outside. I can still access Emby remotely.

Bit of a noob when it comes to problems like this.

Thanks for any help.

embyserver.txt

49 minutes ago, timneale said:

Hi,

I've recenlty switched to this docker to make use of the Nvidia Transcoding. All has been running fine since switching from my previous Emby docker. Yesterday this docker did an update and now I'm nto able to refresh any of my metadata. It seems like Emby can't connect to the outside. I can still access Emby remotely.

Bit of a noob when it comes to problems like this.

Thanks for any help.

embyserver.txt 782.8 kB · 0 downloads

Same exact issue since the update. 

On 11/17/2021 at 12:41 PM, Derek_ said:

Hi, thanks for this Docker. I've been using it for a while now (and sent a small donation quite a while ago :) )

I got an email on 15/11 saying a new version of the Emby Docker is available: emby [2a2b..5c38]. My system is set to auto update Dockers, so i assume it has as in the Docker view it says "up-to-date".

First time using Emby since the 14th i think, i now get "Forbidden" (just Forbidden, not 404 or anything else) via WebUI and the mobile app can't connect to the NAS. I did "Fix Common Problems" but it didn't find anything with my unRAID setup.

Emby seems to start ok, it says it's running. I restarted it, and even rebooted the server.

I had a look at the directory via the Console menu ls -l and i notice that some files and directories have root:root while others are abc:users. I don't have any 'abc' user. No idea if that's related to my problem. I'm not very familiar with Docker.

I tried to look at the log, but there's no date-stamps and doesn't seem to say anything like "error" or such and i don't have a clue what i'm looking for.

Suggestions/troubleshooting steps appreciated :)

Hello,

Same problem here since an update a few days ago. Last update didn’t fix it. Did you find a solution? Emby has been working fine for months and now all I’m getting is a Forbidden message when trying to access the web ui.

EDIT : this did the trick 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/103521-docker/

I guess since Emby is running in Docker it does not recognize properly the local subnet as local.

Edited by spiderben25
found solution
8 hours ago, spiderben25 said:

Hello,

Same problem here since an update a few days ago. Last update didn’t fix it. Did you find a solution? Emby has been working fine for months and now all I’m getting is a Forbidden message when trying to access the web ui.

EDIT : this did the trick 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/103521-docker/

I guess since Emby is running in Docker it does not recognize properly the local subnet as local.

You enabled remote access? Isn't that what you do when you want it to be accessible outside the LAN and into the WAN? (Granted you'd need to open ports on the router as well i think.)

I think local subnet detection is faulty since last Emby update.

I had to enable remote access to get access back, then in the network settings I manually added my local network subnet and only then I could disable remote access.

Before doing that last bit, the server info page showed the internal network Docker address (176.something) instead of the usual 192.168.0.xxx.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:44 AM, spiderben25 said:

I think local subnet detection is faulty since last Emby update.

I had to enable remote access to get access back, then in the network settings I manually added my local network subnet and only then I could disable remote access.

Before doing that last bit, the server info page showed the internal network Docker address (176.something) instead of the usual 192.168.0.xxx.

I added 192.168.0.0/24 to local networks but I still get forbidden if I turn remote access back off. I guess I'll leave remote access on.

Edit: Never mind. I'm a noob. Changed that to 192.168.1.0/24 and it works.

Edited by Viper-694
  • 7 months later...

Hello all for the past few days emby has been giving me an error saying "check for plugins updates failed".  Clicking on the overview on the plugin it says "Access to the path '/config/plugins/MovieDb.dll' is denied".  Not sure what can be causing this all of a sudden. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 11.31.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-18 11.32.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-18 11.33.02 PM.png

Edited by jluna
  • 2 weeks later...

I am unable to get hardware acceleration working.  I've tried to follow many of the guides online but the template has changed.  Do I just need to add the item in the spaceinvader one video (Nvidia Visible Drivers) thats not in the template or am I missing something else completely.  It's been a bit of a mess since my upgrade, in Binhex-emby my HD homerun quit working and no HW Transcoding, in embyserver my TV folder only 6 shows are seen (out of 119) but HW transcoding and Live TV work perfectly, and in linuxserver live tv and all folders work perfectly but no HW transcode. 

Screencap.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 11:56 AM, TheFreemancer said:

I've followed the SpaceInvader tutorial for Hardware transcoding. 

I have a GTX 1060 here which is capable of hevc decoding and encoding. 

I can do hardware encoding and decoding of h.264 just fine. 

But when I try to play hevc content like a uhd bluray remux that is 4k hevc it uses software using my cpu.

It can see the gpu on emby advanced tab, it even shows it for hevc encoding and decoding both checked but it uses software for some odd reason.

Is there anything special I need to do to support HEVC?

I saw this post from a couple years ago that never was answered. I, too, am experiencing this, where anything 1080p ad below the IGPU works fine but when trying to decode 4K it reverts to CPU as default. Any idea how to fix?

I did notice in the first post to this thread it says to "Edit your go file and add modprobe i915 to it, save and reboot." I never did that because it wasn't described that way in the hub for this container. Is that addition still necessary, or is it no longer required and was just missed in updating instructions?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No problems here.

A tip for anyone is looking to get comskip working in this container. I for whatever reason couldn't get comskip to compile with statically linked libraries. I found the pre-compiled comskip from channelsdvr (channelsdvr_nvidia in community apps) works in this docker. Put it in your emby appdata so it is persistent.

Edit: Wow, I overcomplicated that. Thanks for the universal-package-install docker mod, you can install comskip really easily by adding two variables to your emby container.

Variable

Key: DOCKER_MODS

Value: linuxserver/mods:universal-package-install

Variable

Key: INSTALL_PACKAGES

Value: comskip

🤯

This was the one feature I was missing transitioning from plex. Comskip + ComSkipper emby plugin fixed me up.

Edited by Skitals
  • 2 months later...