Inquiry

I have a buddy running unraid and recommended this.
I used to run windows 2016 server on my setup DL380 G7
I made the switch to Ubuntu Server 18.04
i have dual X5550 with 32GB ram, Running 2 SSD and 2 HDDs

I mainly run a webserver, Minecraft servers using CubeCoders AMP and LINUXGSM for other games from stream running dedicated servers and a couple other gaming servers run manually with WINE

Could I benefit at all from UNRAID with the type of servers i like to run?

Thanks

It is not clear you would benefit.    

UnRAID comes into its own when you really need NAS capability as the prime Use Case with the ability to run applications (either via docker or VMs) as a secondary need.    More difficult to justify Unraid if you have no use for its NAS capabilities.  

Having said that I am sure there are users who like Unraid purely for how easy it is to run VMs and docker containers.

Edited by itimpi
  • 2 months later...

I'd start with Proxmox.  Or even Freenas for your use case.  unless you actually want Virtual Machine Graphics pass through to game in or similar, those solutions probably fit you better.  Unraid isn't actually a great NAS either, it's a great all rounder that tries to do everything with a very nice non raid disk setup.  As far as everything else goes, it's kind of a really polished average capability.

I'd add though that the community support is very good generally - much better than others.

Edited by Marshalleq