sas and sata drives for my configuration

hi, i finally have some time to set up my unraid box after having all the parts laying around

my setup will be based on:

xeon E3-1230L cpu

supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard

IBM M1015 controller

RES2SV240 expander

SC-4324S SATA/SAS case

my questions are: can i use SAS drives with this configuration? will i encounter problems mixing SAS and SATA drives?

yours, Bilbo

I've had no problem with mixing SAS and SATA drives. You can even use SAS connectors on SATA drives (but not the other way around).

The only downside is that there's a bug in Unraid that prevents SAS drives from spinning down. If you use SAS drives, make sure you set them to not spin down. Just discovered this issue in my own setup, and disabled the spin down timeout on my SAS drives.

Another big benefit is that Surplus/Used SAS drives can often be found WAAAAAAY cheaper than SATA drives.

35 minutes ago, wrenchmonkey said:

I've had no problem with mixing SAS and SATA drives. You can even use SAS connectors on SATA drives (but not the other way around).

The only downside is that there's a bug in Unraid that prevents SAS drives from spinning down. If you use SAS drives, make sure you set them to not spin down. Just discovered this issue in my own setup, and disabled the spin down timeout on my SAS drives.

Another big benefit is that Surplus/Used SAS drives can often be found WAAAAAAY cheaper than SATA drives.

thanks wrenchmonkey

do you know if they are going to fix the bug?

about the SAS drives being cheaper ---> THAT'S THE POINT!