[Answered] - Noob question

Planning on purchasing a PRO key.  I hope my question is clear enough...

I do understand that the purchased key is tied to the USB boot flash drive.

I have a tendency to rebuild my boot OS image every few months (after a few OS updates or a few application updates, or in case I screw up - which happens a lot).  Can I download and recreate the bootimage on the SAME USB flash drive?  

Basically, in other words - can I start from scratch using the same USB key that is registered.

Thanks!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dvgeek said:

Planning on purchasing a PRO key.  I hope my question is clear enough...

I do understand that the purchased key is tied to the USB boot flash drive.

I have a tendency to rebuild my boot OS image every few months (after a few OS updates or a few application updates, or in case I screw up - which happens a lot).  Can I download and recreate the bootimage on the SAME USB flash drive?  

Basically, in other words - can I start from scratch using the same USB key that is registered.

Thanks!

Yes you can - just make sure you have a backup of the key file that contains the licence and is linked to the GUID of the USB stick

However I suspect you are less likely to want to redo the USB stick than with more traditional OS as Unraid is not installed in the traditional sense.    Instead on every hoot it unpacks itself from archives on the USB stick into RAM.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, itimpi said:

Actually USB2 is recommended since it seems to be more reliable (especially during the booting process).   As Unraid runs from RAM there is no need for USB3 for performance reasons.

Haha, strictly speaking, you can save 9.68 SECONDS boot time on USB3 so there is a performance reason 🤣

1 minute ago, testdasi said:

Haha, strictly speaking, you can save 9.68 SECONDS boot time on USB3 so there is a performance reason 🤣

Not if it fails to boot correctly (which seems to frequently happen when USB3 gets involved) and you spend hours/days and multiple boot attempts trying to sort out why :)

• dvgeek changed the title to [Answered] - Noob question