Copy and Paste into Windows 10 VM via VNC

Hi All,

I am new to unRAID and am having an issue with copying and pasting text into an unRAID Windows 10 VM.

My VM is set up and running fine.

I can't seem to copy text, from another Windows machine that is connected to the VM via a VNC session.

If I copy the text and try and paste it into the VM session, nothing appears.

Is there a special trick to get this to work?

TIA

1 hour ago, Darryn said:

I am new to unRAID and am having an issue with copying and pasting text into an unRAID Windows 10 VM.

I can't seem to copy text, from another Windows machine that is connected to the VM via a VNC session.

If I copy the text and try and paste it into the VM session, nothing appears.

Is there a special trick to get this to work?

Welcome to Unraid.

Between Windows machines (including VMs), the least involving way to make things "just work" is to use Remote Desktop Protocol (because it's designed my Microsoft for Microsoft). You need to enable it, go to Control Panel -> System -> Allow Remote access to the computer. That is assuming your Windows edition allows it (I vaguely remember Windows Home doesn't allow RDP but I may be wrong - only use Pro).

If you need VNC then you need to use a more advanced client than the Unraid web (which is very basic and probably just good enough to install the OS). Try VNC Viewer.

I can copy-paste between my main Windows machine and various VMs (and dockers with VNC connection) using VNC Viewer.

38 minutes ago, Darryn said:

Thanks @testdasi

The VM is a Home edition, so I cannot used RDP.

I tried VNC Viewer (VNC Viewer 6.19.325), but this did not work either.

Is there anything special that I need to configure to get it to work?

TIA

I would think RealVNC should work.

However using something like NoMachine would give much better functionality and performance.