'invalid reference format' - Docker commands executed incorrectly from GUI

I started an new unraid install a couple of days ago and none of the docker commands are correct, returning '/usr/bin/docker: invalid reference format'. This also happens when using templates, like the PMS-docker template. I can get it running manually by downloading the image manually and then running the same command with just the image reference (i.e. 'plexinc/pms-docker') instead of 'https://..../pms-docker/'. However, this is quite annoying to have to do everything through CLI when there is a very nice GUI. I think it might be a version mismatch of some sort, with the Unraid server using an old reference format but I'm quite new to all this. 

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue, but I don't really know what I'm doing yet.  Brand new to Unraid.  Less than 12 hours into my trial.

I was attempting to install the Virt-Manager docker container from a template.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Virt-Manager' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" 'https://hub.docker.com/r/fanningert/docker-virtmanager'

/usr/bin/docker: invalid reference format.
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

I started with Unraid 6.7.2, but saw the 6.7.3-rc2 release notes downgraded Docker.  I upgraded my Unraid thinking that might solve this problem, no luck.

g7-diagnostics-20190726-1802.zip

1 hour ago, M6|[5a/!1|{6vK49cHew!qV,ei said:

I'm having the same issue, but I don't really know what I'm doing yet.  Brand new to Unraid.  Less than 12 hours into my trial.

I was attempting to install the Virt-Manager docker container from a template.

Don't really know what that docker is or what you're trying to do, but it sounds like it has something to do with VM management. Unraid has VM Management builtin and that is the way you should manage VMs.

Also, unless you are installing a docker from the Apps page (Community Applications plugin), you really need to know exactly what you are doing because there is no template for dockers you might find elsewhere and you have to know how to fill in everything needed for the docker run command.

Which issue did you want to discuss in this topic?  I was trying to be helpful by offering a diagnostic file that may have assisted in the original poster's problem as I encountered a similar problem in 6.7.2 and he did not provide one.

I was stumbling through the instructions I found here:

As to why I was trying to use Virt-Manager, it's because I was unable to get the GPU passed through, https://wiki.unraid.net/Unraid_6/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I.27m_having_problems_passing_through_my_RTX-class_GPU_to_a_virtual_machine, and was exploring the ideas I found in the Unraid community.  If you'd like to help me with my GPU problem, then I can start a new topic for that.

In the meantime, since I can't get past the docker error, I'm trying another method:

44 minutes ago, M6|[5a/!1|{6vK49cHew!qV,ei said:

@flinkeknul When considering what @trurl wrote about docker templates, it's likely that my problem and your problem were caused by different circumstances as I just added two containers from the limetech docker templates and they loaded without issue.

The end.

Your issue was that you added the web address for the docker hub page of Tha container you wanted to run instead of the user/image format you use in the repository field.