File Organization/Design

surfshack66

I'd like to organize my files on unraid as well as move away from paper copies. How do you manage your files?

1. SMB Share on unraid

2. SMB share on unraid with external storage support on Nextcloud

3. Only Nextcloud

These are the three scenarios I can think of, but perhaps I am missing some. Interested to hear how you organize your personal files and why.

EDIT: Also, do you use Paperless (or something similar)?

Edited by surfshack66

It depends:

If you start from scratch I suggest to go Nextcloud only. 

If you already have a filled document archiv I suggest to go Nextcloud with external storage. If you add/modify/delete files from outside of Nextcloud as well, I would go that way too. 

When we started with Nextcloud we already had thousands of documents in well organized shares and folders. Until today some people work with the shares. We didn't want to stopp that at first. External storage is perfect for that Workflow. So we're still using External Storage in Nextcloud.

BTW, the only thing that's missing in Nextcloud is better Notes support. There are 2-3, some with weird formatting, some didn't work.

1 hour ago, hawihoney said:

It depends:

If you start from scratch I suggest to go Nextcloud only. 

If you already have a filled document archiv I suggest to go Nextcloud with external storage. If you add/modify/delete files from outside of Nextcloud as well, I would go that way too. 

When we started with Nextcloud we already had thousands of documents in well organized shares and folders. Until today some people work with the shares. We didn't want to stopp that at first. External storage is perfect for that Workflow. So we're still using External Storage in Nextcloud.

BTW, the only thing that's missing in Nextcloud is better Notes support. There are 2-3, some with weird formatting, some didn't work.

I don't have thousands of documents, but maybe in the dozens. I don't mind uploading them to Nextcloud and removing the duplicate on the share.

I use the default notes app and the android notes app as well. It's just ok.

The one thing I see missing in Nextcloud is being able to edit PDFs. Sometimes I have to fill out forms that are in pdf format.