[Solved] Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 - Max Memory 192GB?

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered but my searching-fu of google, reddit, and this forum has failed me if that is the case.

I noticed on the unRAID dashboard, it has the following:

installed: 128 GB Multi-bit ECC
max. installable capacity 192 GB

The manual for the motherboard reports the following:

Capacity- 16x 240-pin DDR3 DIMM slots
- Support up to 512GB DDR3 R/LR DIMM ; 128GB ECC/non-ECC unbuffered UDIMM

I'm looking to max out the memory with RDIMMS potentially and wanted to make sure there wasn't some limitation for this in unRAID.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by GroxyPod

it is the memory controller (if I am not mistaken, located in the CPU) that determine the max amount of RAM. the 192GB max is due to the memory controller limitation. I am sure if you put in another pair of CPU's it would be a higher number. The max memory from the motherboard manufacturer is most likely the max the manufacturer hos testet.

1 hour ago, Alphahelix said:

it is the memory controller (if I am not mistaken, located in the CPU) that determine the max amount of RAM. the 192GB max is due to the memory controller limitation. I am sure if you put in another pair of CPU's it would be a higher number. The max memory from the motherboard manufacturer is most likely the max the manufacturer hos testet.

Ah that makes sense.

I have dual E5-2670s in place right now. The max showing on ARK is 384GB per CPU. Guess I'll just have to try :)

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Trailbrake said:

I know this is way stale but, on the off chance, GP sees it, what DIMMs did you use? I have the same MB and would like to upgrade from 64 to 256GB. Cheers!

I have since moved to a different motherboard, but I'm still using the memory

I have IBM rebranded micron RDIMM DDR3 modules that a buddy of mine hooked me up with. I only have 128GB installed now as I've borrowed the rest for other projects.

P/N: MT36JSF2G72PZ-1G6E1HG