Is ThreadRipper overkill for me or is a Ryzen 3000 build a good idea?

Douglas_D

I'm looking for some advice/sanity check on equipment for a new build.  I'm looking to upgrade my existing unRAID Dell T20 E3-1225v3 32GB GTX1060 server AND my old custom Watercooled i7-2600k 32GB GTX1080 gaming system with a single unRAID system.

My use case for this new system will be as follows:

• Dual GPU passthrough Win10 VMs for gaming and workstation for the wife
  • Maybe a 3rd GPU for NVENC transcoding on an Emby Media Center docker
  • My existing PERC H310 8 Port SAS controller to support up to 16 drives (existing 4TB, 8TB, and Cache SSDs)
  • Other Misc dockers consisting of NZBGet, Sonarr, CouchPotato, HomeAssistant, Handbrake, etc.
  • Remote terminal workstations for around the house (I'd like a system I can access from the garage so to browse the web, pull up media, and maybe play a game from there (not sure if that's really something I'd be doing much of)

I've been eyeballing the Threadripper line with the hopes of grabbing a processor cheap with the new Ryzen 3000 line coming up(there have already been some deals for a 1900x for $200 + $250 for a ASRock Taichi, or a 2920x + Taichi for $670 recently). My initial thought was more cores/RAM so I can dedicate some to VMs as well as some to the Emby media server for transcoding, but I am not sure if this is going to be overkill for use case. I'm also concerned about the 180W TDP associated with the chip and generating excess heat in my media closet (I put in an exhaust vent to vent out the heat when things heat up already, but it doesn't run when just the server is on)

I'll need to pick up a new waterblock and RAM, maybe 2x16GB (non-ECC probably) to start with which would still keep me around ~$1000 - $1200. I can pick up more RAM later to complete the quad channel DDR4 and a couple NVMe M.2 drives to migrate from my 2.5"SSDs.

Otherwise maybe I wait til Ryzen 3000 comes out and pick up a 3800x (albeit with 4 less cores) that has a 105W TDP. 

Suspected build w/ sTR4

• AMD Threadripper 2920x -$600 (hopefully on sale soon)
  • ASRock Taichi (or similar depending on sales) $300ish (hopefully both for less)
  • 32GB 2x16GB G.Skill Ripper V 3200Mhz C14 - $250
  • Custom Watercooling - EK Monoblock or similar. Already have a pump/reservoir/240 rad

Existing equipment on hand

• EVGA GTX 1080 8GB FTW2
  • EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
  • 1x Inland Premium 1TB NVMe
  • PERC H310 in IT mode
  • 6x 4TB WD Red
  • 1x 8TB shucked WD Easystore White (Parity)
  • 1x 4TB WD Red Pro (old parity drive)
  • 4x misc 2.5" SSDs (180GB - 525GB)
  • EVGA - PQ 750W 80+ Plat PSU
  • 27" Dell S2716DGR 144Hz 2k G-Sync
  • Tagan Black Pearl Full ATX case w/ 2 4x3.5in hot-swap bays

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QB9sw6

I would definitely go threadripper, here is my setup:

Corsair 740 Air case- Taichi X399 Threadripper- 2950x (upgrade from 1920X-) Corsair 64Gb 8x8Gb 2933Mhz- Evga CLC 280 Evga 1Kw gold PSU- Allegro Pro USB 3.0 to U.2 port/PLX bridge- 2x Evga GTX 960 SSC 4GB- 2x Evga 2070 Black- 2x Plextor 512Gb SSD- 2x WD Black 1Tb NVMe- 

Have a couple of my old parts up here:

PM if you want some more info- or are looking for someone who has dealt with a similar setup.

With what you are looking at doing- you will want a lot of cores and a lot of RAM to support your config.  Also consider passing dedicated drives to your windows VMs if you can.  

Edited by jordanmw

Thanks Jordanmw for the response. I appreciate the extra data point.

I definitely I plan to do baremetal installs of Windows based on videos SpaceInvader's put up and then move them under unRAID. Have you experienced any issues with audio stutter/cutout? I've seen there have been some problems with others, but apparently most of those are resolved.

Do you passthrough any of your NICs into your Windows VMs? I've seen that the board has all 3 NICs in the same IOMMU grouping and wasn't sure if that was an issue. Do you have any numbers on the amount of load you put on your PSU? I have a 1000VA/600W UPS right now and am thinking it's not going to cut it 0_o if this thing is working hard. Also, how's the heat coming off a beast like that? Have a dedicated AC unit just for it? :P 

I saw your post about the 2950x+Taichi last week and almost pulled the trigger on the 2920x version of it for $670, but held off :( Trying to decided if that was smart or not... there's always going to be another sale, right? At the moment I'm holding off on buying anything second-hand since if I'm going to be dropping the coin, I'd rather have less to deal with when warrantying things, thanks for the additional link though.

Support for Ryzen 3000 no one really knows yet, what will change and what kernel tweaks are needed with this new chips. Maybe it works right out of the box, maybe not. Always keep in mind the TR4 platform has way more PCIe lanes available and you can directly connect more devices to the CPU. Sharing the lanes between the slots you always end up in a situation, where the devices are grouped together. For passthrough this isn't what you want. Each manufacturer is slightly different how they handle the groupings in there BIOSes and with each revision it can change. The final versions aren't out yet. On most x399 if they have multiple Nics, they are grouped together. On some boards you can split them with ACS override, on some this isn't possible. This also depends on the BIOS revs you're running. If you can, avoid the ACS patch and use a dedicated ethernet card. On TR4 no problem, you have enough slots and lanes 😁

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Douglas_D said:

Thanks Jordanmw for the response. I appreciate the extra data point.

I definitely I plan to do baremetal installs of Windows based on videos SpaceInvader's put up and then move them under unRAID. Have you experienced any issues with audio stutter/cutout? I've seen there have been some problems with others, but apparently most of those are resolved.

Do you passthrough any of your NICs into your Windows VMs? I've seen that the board has all 3 NICs in the same IOMMU grouping and wasn't sure if that was an issue. Do you have any numbers on the amount of load you put on your PSU? I have a 1000VA/600W UPS right now and am thinking it's not going to cut it 0_o if this thing is working hard. Also, how's the heat coming off a beast like that? Have a dedicated AC unit just for it? :P 

I saw your post about the 2950x+Taichi last week and almost pulled the trigger on the 2920x version of it for $670, but held off :( Trying to decided if that was smart or not... there's always going to be another sale, right? At the moment I'm holding off on buying anything second-hand since if I'm going to be dropping the coin, I'd rather have less to deal with when warrantying things, thanks for the additional link though.

I don't do any NIC passthrough since 2x1Gb is plenty for 4 machines and some dockers to share.  Since mine is mostly setup for a gaming machine, I rarely saturate the network.  I haven't measured load yet- but can tell you that I can max all cores and GPUs without hitting my 1000w ceiling.  Heat isn't too terrible and the machine is in the same room as the 4 gamers playing.  It does make some noise at full load but hardly more than my previous single gamer setup.  The heat is noticeable after a while and we may kick on the AC that blows from the ceiling to keep us cool, but my rig never thermal throttles- it's temps stay in 55C area on CPU and 75Cish on GPU for max.

Sound issues just required me to run the msi fix and use the hdmi sound from each card.  I have no sound issues and don't pass the sound card to anything.  I also don't use any of the on board USB and got a card with 4 controllers to pass one to each system- saves me a ton of headaches with peripherals.   

I agree with bastl- threadripper is a better way to go since it has so many PCIE lanes and cores available.  Unraid does need some CPU power for itself and I have found that leaving 2 cores/ 4 smt available for it is the best plan for it to breathe freely.  Plus- as he indicated- if you want to BLEED go CUTTING EDGE.  It will definitely hurt until it heals with patches and updates.

• Like 1