Only 1 disk used in array

I'm quite new to Unraid...but I like what I see.  I'm in the process of importing my data into a brand new array however, only one hard drive is actively being written to.  I actually just got a free space warning for the disk in question.

From what I understand of the high-water allocation (the setting used for all of my shares), I would've expected data being written to Disk 1 until 4 GB left, then Disk 2, 3, 4, etc.  However, that doesn't seem to be the case.  I went ahead and grabbed logs if that helps.

As far as I know, everything was set to the default settings from what I initially created the array.  If anyone has any pointers, that would be awesome!

shareConfig.png

array.png

How are you sending data to unraid? There is a situation where allocation method gets circumvented, if the entire directory tree is created empty, and then filled with files, the already created folders are preferred over unraid creating new folders on a different disk. Also, you need to set your minimum free space to a sane value, for 8TB disks I'd suggest probably 80GB. When the minimum free space is reached unraid should create the needed folders and start using a different disk. The standard explanation says to set minimum free to slightly larger than the single largest file you are likely to copy, but I like to leave a little more free space on each disk in case the file system needs space for metadata or error recovery in the future.

5 hours ago, jonathanm said:

How are you sending data to unraid? There is a situation where allocation method gets circumvented, if the entire directory tree is created empty, and then filled with files, the already created folders are preferred over unraid creating new folders on a different disk. Also, you need to set your minimum free space to a sane value, for 8TB disks I'd suggest probably 80GB. When the minimum free space is reached unraid should create the needed folders and start using a different disk. The standard explanation says to set minimum free to slightly larger than the single largest file you are likely to copy, but I like to leave a little more free space on each disk in case the file system needs space for metadata or error recovery in the future.

Ah, so I think this is it.  I'm importing 1 disk at a time since they're all being replaced and there are many cases where the folder is created but some other disk has the data.  I think this hit the nail on the head.  I was going crazy trying to figure out what on earth was going on.  Thanks for the clarification.

9 minutes ago, westptx said:

I'm importing 1 disk at a time since they're all being replaced and there are many cases where the folder is created but some other disk has the data.

This should't make any difference with split level set to any, it should still use the other disks as per the set allocation method.

Well hmmm...so, no matter what I do..if I manually create a folder that doesn't already exist in the share, it is still pegged to disk 1, no matter what.  Even when I try to run unBalance, it makes it seem like there are no other drives available:

The planning stage found that no folders/files can be transferred.

This might be due to one of the following reasons:

- The source share(s)/folder(s) you selected are either empty or do not exist in the source disk

- There isn't available space in any of the target disks, to transfer the share(s)/folder(s) you selected

Check more disks in the TO column or go to the Settings page, to review the share(s)/folder(s) selected for moving/copying or to change the amount of reserved space.

53 minutes ago, westptx said:

Alright, someone hand me the newb hat.  My rsync command was forcing the files to /mnt/disk1.  Jesus...that was dumb.  

LOL. Well, that certainly explains your symptoms.

How well do you understand the /mnt/user and /mnt/user0 structures? If you don't have a handle on how they work, it's pretty easy to mess up badly.