To Docker or VM - MediaWiki dependencies

Hello,

I'm using the NGNIX & mariadb dockers to run a webserver on Unraid 6.6.7. I'm wanting to use wordpress and/or Mediawiki just for home/personal stuff - recipes and misc notes/documentation. I've have both running, no problem.

For MediaWiki, there are other libraries or programs that need to be installed that are dependencies of the a certain skin or extension. For example, I want to install the Cameleon skin, but it requires Composer, for PHP: https://github.com/cmln/chameleon/blob/master/docs/installation.md

I also wanted to install the VisualEditor extention, but requires a "Parsoid" service. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid/Setup

How would I install these services in the NGNIX docker?

Am I at the point where I should just setup a Ubuntu Server VM in Unraid and thus would give me more flexibility?

Thanks!

Jason

10 hours ago, Jason442 said:

How would I install these services in the NGNIX docker?

General rule (definitely not set in stone though), is that docker containers are static apps.  IE: They contain whatever the author of the container dictated, and while you can go into the container's terminal and run what ever commands are needed to install additional packages, if/when the container is updated, then all of your changes are lost.  My opinion would be you would either create your own container, or the easier way would be to create a VM to do what you want.