Hardware support question

Hello,

With downloads becoming bigger and bigger my cache drive speed has become a bottleneck.

To be more precise my motherboard's SATA port speed is limited to 3Gb/s.

I am not willing to make a complete change of my motherboard at the moment, but I found many hardware solutions that could make use on my PCIe 1.0 or PCIe 2.0 available slots and convert them to a SATA 6Gb/s port.

They are cheap and if they work they would be a instant gain in speed and efficiency for my cache drive duties.

So the question is will Unraid recognize these extension cards to their full potential?

Edited by xtrips
If you want an even simpler dual port SATA card that fits in a x1 PCIe slot look for one that uses an ASMedia ASM106x chip.

I take it that you imply that in the end I will in fact get the full 6Gb speed from an SSD drive with that solution, right?
Pardon me for asking but do you assert that from experience or just based on the theory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The ASM106x series supports 6 Gb/s SATA III links. It uses the standard ahci driver module and "just works", unlike some Marvell-bases controllers, which are problematic. It supports TRIM on consumer grade SSDs. It supports PCIe v2.0 and is backwards compatible with v1. The actual throughput will be limited by the PCIe slot. I'm not implying anything but I use ASM1062 controllers and I'm happy with them.

7 hours ago, John_M said:

The ASM106x series supports 6 Gb/s SATA III links. It uses the standard ahci driver module and "just works", unlike some Marvell-bases controllers, which are problematic. It supports TRIM on consumer grade SSDs. It supports PCIe v2.0 and is backwards compatible with v1. The actual throughput will be limited by the PCIe slot. I'm not implying anything but I use ASM1062 controllers and I'm happy with them.

Order placed. Thank you for your help.