Need help to design decentralized Unraid :D

Hi.  I want some help in designing a more poweful Unraid server.  

Things that need to remain constant:

Existing Fractal Design Node 804 image.png.89a375a4b54df6e0ed979867b4118576.png

My existing Unraid server has 11 drives.  10 of which are 3.5" HDDs, and 1 2.5" SSD for cache.  I have a Supermicro X9scm-F server board with Xeon E3-1240 v2 processor.  It has an Nvidia GTX1070 8 GB GPU, that takes up 2.5 PCIe slots.  I have a Dell Perc H310 in IT mode for all the drives.  So this case that your seeing above, is literally packed, and no more room for expansion.  There's a 1/2 PCIe slot of space, if you consider that a space :D  It is very compact, and I love it.  

Reason for upgrade:  My processor is quite old.  Would like to have more cores, and a bit more power to play some games (Fortnite for the kids, Cities Skylines for me).  I suspect the processor is not that powerful enough for my Cities Skylines.  As for the Fortnite experience for my kid, I am not sure.  Possibly because of moonlight streaming from the Unraid box?  Using Wired Gigabit.  But still laggy. 

Area to place all these equipment is the bookshelf.  19" depth

Want to have: 

1.  Neat (cool looking)

2. It has to be quiet

3. Powerful enough, requires GPU

My considerations so far:

Seemingly, to have multiple 1U or at most, short depth 2U servers stacked up look somewhat cool, and can be camouflaged in the bookshelf if it's silent enough.  Well not really camouflaged, but you get the idea.  Currently, I have a modem, a 24 port switch, and a 1U short depth rackmount Supermicro (my firewall) stacked 1 on top of the other.  This looks clean.  So to add to this stacked up look, am looking at 1U or 2U at most.  Has to be short depth.  Has to be quiet, but has to be able to take a GPU that occupies 2.5 slots of PCIe.  Looking at something like this:

image.png.492b4dc452fc0423a2d4416cc5d6c516.png

It takes E-ATX motherboards, so pretty much anything.  It's 17" in depth.  But it's 1U, so it won't take my GPU.  Being 1U, it's also not quiet.  But I hope people see why I want this form factor, to add to the stack of 1Us mentioned above.  Maybe add a card to connect to my Fractal Box that contains all the drives.  If I need to replace GPU, I hope it's at least the same power as the GTX1070.  I believe the Quadro P4000 is about as powerful, that occupies only 1 PCIe slot (from the pictures I see).  But it's expensive.  Planning to use at least a Xeon E5-2600 V2 series processor, to give me enough cores, and some power.  Prices are quite cheap now.  Intend to use eBay as my supplier :D  I mean I have a shoestring budget.  The GPU is something I cannot figure out.  How to get this setup up.

14 hours ago, jang430 said:

If I need to replace GPU, I hope it's at least the same power as the GTX1070.  I believe the Quadro P4000 is about as powerful

Actually it is downgrade, and I doubt it will always thottle if put it in 1U / 2U case ( due to full height so must turn 90 degree ).

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-Quadro-P4000/3609vsm250990

From your description, my understand is you intend to increase CPU power, but does really could solve slow issue ? Why not simple upgrade CPU,MB and keep use single socket platform.

If you "decentralized" Disks and CPU/GPU, simple as got a SAS Expander and cables for 10/11 disks, but this may cost too much. To kept component silent in rack, it also hard, especially 1U/2U, jsut because you can't add large diameter fan.

Edited by Benson
9 hours ago, jang430 said:

You have a point. Problem is difficult to find xeon e5 V2 boards in micro atx form factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1U sounds like a jet all the time good luck trying to find a quiet version those little fans are crazy loud to the point I may unload the thing was hoping it was a good candidate for a pfsense box

• Like 1

I have a Sophos box made of 1u short depth chassis. Used a micro atx motherboard, pentium processor. I used a Dynatron blower fan. You can check my post in this forum as well. Pretty acceptable in my bookshelf for now. Don't feel annoyed at all since it's barely audible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/16/2019 at 12:17 AM, mrbilky said:

My 1U sounds like a jet all the time good luck trying to find a quiet version those little fans are crazy loud to the point I may unload the thing was hoping it was a good candidate for a pfsense box

Yup. That. I have yet to see silent rack servers.  You might be way better served changing the MB+CPU combo in your existing case if you're satisfied with it. I have a setup similar to yours, but in a Fractal Design R5 (the "quiet" one, not the flashy stuff with loud glass panels everywhere), and it is very silent, I can barely hear a small breeze when coming next to it, but that's about it (and I'm not using Noctua fans).

For the GPU though, I went minimal and got a PCI (not PCI-E) passive GPU just with VGA output. Uses a slot which would then be unusable for anything else, and saves me a precious x16 PCI-E slot for more useful expansions.