[Solved] (Kinda) Too many wrong and/or missing disks!

Firstly I've made this issue myself. I'm acutely aware I am a twit 🤦‍♂️

So over the past few weeks, we've had cable issues, eventually, they come out to replace the modem/router combo and reconnect us to the exchange, tweak the power and get us back into our usual service but the wifi range is shocking. I think 'screw this, I'm off to buy a better router' It'll solve some other issues, like the unraid box being in the study and it connects over wifi, along with the wifi being flakey and slow.

So far so good, the new router in, but it can't see the unraid box, I can't //tower or IP it. I stupidly hard power off a few times, and reboot thinking it was the unraid box before I thought to check that the router could see the tower. I left it a good few days before trying again to work it out.

This morning I've sorted the subnets out, I can get to //tower, and I'm greeted with this:

image.thumb.png.2b1197c610c5ee9c78e32aff48c23ef0.png

Panic sets in.

My idea was to start it without the disks, turn it off and add them back in, but I can't since 2 are down...but I can't due to the warning:

'Too many wrong and/or missing disks!'

Now I could believe the 1TB might've failed but the 4TB is a few months old, sure it could've failed but I've had unraid lose a drive before with power cuts, and readded it fine with it lasting for years after.

I've tried digging around a bit and it looks like new config might be my answer but I wanted to ask the experts and see if anyone had any thoughts before I pulled that trigger!

Other than that I am stumped!

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Shadey1
33 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to check/swap connections for the missing disks, check if they are detected in the bios, very unlike two disks would die at the same time.

A new config would allow you to start the array but by losing the data on both missing disks.

image.thumb.png.a71e520d069ff8cd5f7ceaa7643368e9.png

So I've had a look in the bios, the full ID string isn't there, but thankfully the 2 'failed' ones are pretty obviously different IDs,

Boot option 8 and 9 which might be on a PCIe SATA card. 

Not just controller. Cable can be a problem too. Some years ago I had disk dropping randomly that turned out to be a bad cable / loose connection. I replaced the cable and it was all good.

So recommend you replace the cables first to see if the problems come back before going drastic with the controller.

• 1 year later...

Just incase anyone else gets a similar issue this has twice since this post.
Both in the last 3 months.

The first just dropped while watching something streaming from it, and then after looking at the notes I spun down and it lost the second. A bunch of restarts, removing and adding drives until it could see them both again and it's fixed.

I'm certain after a restart/power hiccup it 'loses' the sata card so I'll look to replace that in the near future!

• 4 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, trurl said:

Surprised nobody asked for diagnostics. That would tell whether or not you are using a SATA controller that isn't recommended.

I missed this response at the time!

I am pretty sure I picked a supported one, but now you have me wondering as it's done it again lol

• 2 months later...

I'm 90% certain I know what the issue is now as it's got worse and worse at doing this since I updated unraid a few months back, and since the most recent update it's nearly constant.

My marvell Sata PCIe card is either dying or just not compatible. The wiki (in it's own words) is out of date but basically avoid marvell cards for Unraid 6.x

Time to switch it out

• 3 weeks later...