[Support] ClamAV

On 1/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, Squid said:

Depends.  /mnt/user will take quite a while as it also scans appdata and if you have Plex for instance and a halfway decent library there's a couple of hundred thousand files in it alone.

To follow up on this, the scans took 3 days to complete.

• 2 months later...

help please 

Updating ClamAV scan DB
ERROR: Can't create freshclam.dat in /var/lib/clamav
ERROR: Failed to save freshclam.dat!
WARNING: Failed to create a new freshclam.dat!
ERROR: initialize: libfreshclam init failed.
ERROR: Initialization error!
Hint: The database directory must be writable for UID 100 or GID 101

An error occurred (freshclam returned with exit code '2')

2022-03-17T02:42:38+00:00 ClamAV process starting

Updating ClamAV scan DB
Hint: The database directory must be writable for UID 100 or GID 101
ERROR: Can't create freshclam.dat in /var/lib/clamav
ERROR: Failed to save freshclam.dat!
WARNING: Failed to create a new freshclam.dat!
ERROR: initialize: libfreshclam init failed.
ERROR: Initialization error!

An error occurred (freshclam returned with exit code '2')

** Press ANY KEY to close this window ** 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem that osokthedevil shows above.  I even tried changing the template to User ID 100 and Group ID 101 but the same error message occurs.  I am assuming this used to work and something changed possibly...  I can see the template made the appdata folder correctly it just has no contents. 

12 hours ago, RyanRoberts210 said:

I am having the same problem that osokthedevil shows above.  I even tried changing the template to User ID 100 and Group ID 101 but the same error message occurs.  I am assuming this used to work and something changed possibly...  I can see the template made the appdata folder correctly it just has no contents. 

I didnt have this issue before, but after recreating the file structure, I am getting the same error.

If you run the built-in script `newperms /path/to/your/db/folder` it will resolve.

That script effectively does the following...

chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X '/path/to/your/db/folder'
 chown -R nobody:users '/path/to/your/db/folder'

• Like 1
On 3/26/2022 at 3:20 AM, RyanRoberts210 said:

Change the virus DB location outside of appdata and then run the Docker Safe New Perms found under Unraid Tools.
This worked for me today.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:49 PM, Squid said:

Or just uninstall / reinstall

I ve just installed this for the first time on a very new unraid install and I am getting the same "exit code 2" and "cant create freshclam.dat in /var/lib/clamav". I've tried chacing the UID and GID from the default (99 & 100) to 100 and 101 with no luck.

Is there something wrong with the standard build that needs me to run a script to get it to work?

On 4/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, PitRejection2359 said:

I ve just installed this for the first time on a very new unraid install and I am getting the same "exit code 2" and "cant create freshclam.dat in /var/lib/clamav". I've tried chacing the UID and GID from the default (99 & 100) to 100 and 101 with no luck.

Is there something wrong with the standard build that needs me to run a script to get it to work?

Occasionally I run into this, and the fix is to chmod and chown the files/folders.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Masterwishx said:

can we update or only wait for docker update ?

image.thumb.png.8e4b17a71eae900a4677cc64846e0b5e.png

You can update if you wish.

My builds are waiting for all dependencies to be updated before I build for Clam. I check the Alpine site weekly to know when I can update stable and edge branches.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PitRejection2359 said:

Sorry to be a pain / newb: where can I find that script? and I presume the "standard" path (I didn't change anything during the install) to db folder is /mnt/cache/appdata/clamav? Thank you.

chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/cache/appdata/clamav

chown -R nobody:users  /mnt/cache/appdata/clamav

• Thanks 3
  • 2 months later...

Sorry if this has been asked before.  I did a search but came up with nothing.  ClamAV has reported it detected 1 infection on concurrent scans.  How do I know what file is infected?  What is ClamAV supposed to do to the infected file once it is detected?  I assume it is not successfully dealing with it as it continues to report 1 file is infected after every single scan I run.

1 hour ago, Aegisnir said:

How do I know what file is infected?

It's listed in the logs for the app.  The script post much earlier should alert you as to which file(s)

1 hour ago, Aegisnir said:

What is ClamAV supposed to do to the infected file once it is detected?

It does nothing.  That's for you to decide what to do with it