UNRAID 6 - Disk Migration from dead server question

The system my unraid server is running on died, the motherboard shorted and finding a replacement is proving expensive for a home server.

I have sourced another server but have ran into an issue right away.

My old server had six configured disks, the parity disk, the 4 disks of the array and my cache drive. It had a multitude of sata ports but this new one I picked up (a donation from a friend) only has 5 available.

I need to mount the cache drive as it contains my dockers and my data in nextcloud is encrypted so I cant just copy it off.

Would unraid recognise a drive as properly if I connected it via an external bay over USB, i.e. put the parity or caching drive on this?

Could I mount all drives apart from the parity drive and would the array come up, just without protection?

Any other suggestions?

I am waiting on an adapter to expand the sata drives on this server but its shipping is estimated to be nearly 2 weeks away.

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, Feighery said:

Would unraid recognise a drive as properly if I connected it via an external bay over USB, i.e. put the parity or caching drive on this?

Depends on the USB enclosure, but most likely not without a new config for parity or reassignment for cache..

4 minutes ago, Feighery said:

Could I mount all drives apart from the parity drive and would the array come up, just without protection?

Yes.

Edited by johnnie.black

Even if Calibre does recognise the drive when USB connected having it as part of the array is not a recommended way of running as USB drives have a tendency to momentarily drop out causing Unraid to disable the drive.   If you need access to its files you are likely to be better off having it connected as a Unassigned `device as that is less likely to encounter such issues.