Win 10 VM high disk use / slow SSD speed

Hello,

I have an unRAIDd box with an i5 8600, with 2 x 10TB drives, and 2 x 500GB SSDs for cache, running unRAID 6.7

I have a small Win 10 VM that is running fairly slow. I have the disk IMG set to be on the cache drive, not the main array. But have noticed when downloading updates, or after a restart, the disk use gets up to 90% or so. Its also painfully slow to install any updates to the VM. 

Checking the disk monitor, it seems to be topping out at 10MB/s, which seems really slow. So I'm guessing this is a big part of the problem. 

The VM has 4GB of ram, and 2 cores allocated to it. I left core 0 unassigned, and have cored 1 and 2 assigned to the VM. (I use the other CPU's for a Plex docker and a few other Dockers I have running) 

Any ideas on what I can look at?

I went through the spaceinvader videos and made the suggestion optimizations like turning off indexing, and windows defender. (I did this when I originally set up the VM)

The only thing I did notice in my VM settings in unRAID. Is thats the setting for "Hyper-V" is set to NO. (I'm not sure if this is related to the problem at all, but it seems to be the only setting that differs from his video) I attempted to shut down the VM, and change this to "Yes". but after I save the settings and go back in, its set back to "no" again. 

Yeah. Like I said, I'm not sure if this hyper-v setting has anything to do with the slowness or not, but figured it was worth mentioning. This is just a simple Win 10 VM (running win 10 LTSB). It runs a few programs and I use it as a testing bed on occasion. I'll also occasionally remote into it when I'm outside of the network as I keep my Gaming rig asleep when its not in use. 

This VM isn't used for gaming or any sort of heavy lifting. 

Checking on it now, at idle disk is back to 0%. but if I reboot it, upon startup disk, will climb into the 90% range for a bit before it settles down. Or if updates are downloading it seems to happen as well. 

I have pretty much the same set up as you i5 8400 128gb cache 3 120gb ssds have you tried changing the "Machine Type" from i144 to 35.0 (im pretty sure im writing those wrong but its a drop down towards the top "machine Type" or something along those lines) I had terrible r/w speeds and display lag/stutter but the change improved it about 60% 

Edited by Fiservedpi