New Build

Hello;

Hoping to grab some advice before I start planning for migration.

I am currently using Xpenology. I am starting to think about moving away from it, because, it seems with every update, something breaks, or gets tightened by Synology. When I was running 10TB storage, I didn't really care if the entire thing broke down. Its easily restored. However, now that I am pushing 15 disks and close to 50TB of storage, its time to start looking for a more robust system, that I don't have to worry about breaking, because of an update, or waiting for a patch from the Xpenology team.  Let me add, I love the synology interface and everything it does.

My idea for the migration is to build a quick and easy sever with unraid. I will then transfer my files from the Synology server to the cheap unraid server. I run SHR2 with Synology, so, I will just be able to pull two drives, plus a few spares I have, and move everything to the Unraid server. I use 10gbe cards, so hoping the drives in unraid will keep up. I AM AWARE IF I HAVE A DISK LOSS, I WILL LOSE EVERYTHING ON THE SYNOLOGY. So, my first questions is;

1) Can I move my data to the "new" server, and then transplant the drives back into my "old" synology server, add the USB drive, and startup as if nothing changed, or, is this pretty much going to be locked to the hardware I first setup? My actual server is very powerful, the donor system is literally going to be a hunk of junk.

2) One of the things I love about the Synology file browser, is aside from accessing your local files, you can also mount Google Drive, and access that like any normal folder, allowing for drag and drop copying et. Does Unraid have this ability?

3) Can I move to a parity system (2 disks) once I have moved everything over, or, do I have to do it right away?

4) Little confused on the whole folder structure. So, if I add 4 drives, I create a share, and transfer to that share, it will automatically place it on whatever drive the system wants, or, do I have to fill 1 drive at a time. I was hoping for a demo somewhere, but I couldn't find one to tinker with.

1. Many of us, including me, have moved Unraid and its disks to different hardware and it just works. The only things you might have to work out is if you have any VMs with hardware passthrough, or you have disk controllers that don't pass the drive information to Unraid the same way. Some RAID controllers will "rename" the disks so Unraid won't know how they are supposed to be assigned. But those controllers aren't recommended for use in Unraid anyway.
  2. The only builtin file manager is Midnight Commander (google it) from the Linux command line. It is very capable, and what I prefer to use. It is similar to some of the "Commander" file managers people used in DOS. There are also docker file managers such as Krusader. In combination with the Unassigned Devices plugin, you can also use these to manage files on disks or network shares mounted separately from the array or cache disks. I don't think there is any way to integrate Google Drive into this, but there are ways to sync with various cloud services using dockers.
  3. You can add parity, one or two or both, at any time.
  4. User shares are how Unraid allows folders to span disks. Each user share has settings that control how it chooses a disk for writing new files to that user share.

Excellent. Thanks for the information. I wouldn't run any VM or plugins until all the data is transferred over, and then the drives transplanted back. I figured this would be the absolute best option to minimize risks.

I use an LSI 8i card and an Intel RES2SV240 card. I am hoping i can just use the SATA ports on the donor PC, then plug everything back in.