macOS: Mojave - KVM and rx570 passthrough

MacOS Mojave

sapphire rx570 pulse (2nd slot AORUS z390) (1070gtx in x16 lane)

i9-9900k

16384mb

128gb vdsk

I am able to boot into this machine, and connect via Splashtop or VNC.  However the "passed through" card is not recognized in system info and projecting a black screen on attached monitor.  Card has been checked in current slot against win10vm.  Have tried multiple smbios configs to no avail.  Could I simply be missing kext?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (the Saphirre is a known supported Polaris | Bios combo)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue with an RX480:

Asus X370-PRO

Ryzen 7 1700

NVIDIA GT1030 for unraid

Gigabyte RX480 8GB passthrough to macOS VM

NVIDIA GTK1070 passthrough to windows VM

Unraid 6.7.2

MacOS Mojave

"About this mac" lists the RX480 and I even see clover and a bit of the apple boot logo when I start the VM. The screen then goes to black and I can only access the VM using a viewer (NoMachine)

On 7/12/2019 at 7:20 AM, bmwbryan said:

I"About this mac" lists the RX480 and I even see clover and a bit of the apple boot logo when I start the VM. The screen then goes to black and I can only access the VM using a viewer (NoMachine)

Check this (update2) if the symptom is like a no signal to the monitor after apple logo:

• 11 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, J.Nerdy said:

MacOS Mojave

sapphire rx570 pulse (2nd slot AORUS z390) (1070gtx in x16 lane)

i9-9900k

16384mb

128gb vdsk

I am able to boot into this machine, and connect via Splashtop or VNC.  However the "passed through" card is not recognized in system info and projecting a black screen on attached monitor.  Card has been checked in current slot against win10vm.  Have tried multiple smbios configs to no avail.  Could I simply be missing kext?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (the Saphirre is a known supported Polaris | Bios combo)

Did you get it to work? I am facing the same issue and cannot get my GPU to passthrough on MacOS. I updated the kext, so this doesn't seem the issue.

9 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Did you get it to work? I am facing the same issue and cannot get my GPU to passthrough on MacOS. I updated the kext, so this doesn't seem the issue.

YES!

I had to pass through the vBIOS - (check techpowerup for your card)...

So this is where we slam the disclaimer:  the vBIOS that worked for me was NOT the actual one for my card, but a similar one.  I tried a few before I could get it to boot

[Sapphire.RX580.4096.17115]