Issue with SMART data for drives.

I am a new user to Unraid and I am currently setting up a new server The spec are as follows.

Server: IBM x3550 M3 

Controllers: ServeRaid (MegaRaid) and eSATA card startech pexesat322i

Enclosure: OWC Mercury rack pro OWCMRP1F8U3EP config as JBOD

Storage: 4 onboard SAS drives connected to onboard raid in raid 0 500gb used as cache drive.

2 x 3tb – WD red WD30EFRX

1 x 1tb – WD green WD10EARS

1 x 500gb – WD blue WD5000AAKS

The issue that I am having is that non of the SMART data is available for the 4 drives in the enclosure. I am thinking that it is an issue with the enclosure or the eSATA card. I connected and identical WD blue drive in a USB dock to the server and the SMART data was immediately available. 

The smart data doesn't show for the SAS drives but I am able to get it through smartctl and I believe that this is normal for SAS drives.

I would like to ask for some help to see if I can get the SMART data to show for the 4 drives in the enclosure. I can provide the output of smartctl for the drives if needed. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

megaraid will obfuscate it, you'll never get it in a normal way... storcli can probably pull data from there, not sure how to do that easily through unraid.  Also, good luck getting anything from that owc box.

using weird crap will get you weird results or = lots of work.   best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Burt01 said:

No other suggestions? I cant be the only one that is facing issues with SMART data.

Effective way was flash ServeRaid (MegaRaid) to LSI IT HBA, if it is a SAS2008 chip and you need take the risk.

*** DUE TO DISK RUNNING IN RAID MODE IN RAID CARD, SO RAID POOL WILL BE DOWN IF FLASH TO I.T. **

Some setting specific for controller type in disk section for SMART data reading may help too.

Edited by Benson