Automatically sync ext hdd with one of my shares

Boyturtle

I use timemachine to backup a couple of Macs on my network to a share on Unraid. This works flawlessly, but because of my limited scripting skills, I'm struggling to automate the (one way) sync from the share to the external hard drive. 

I currently manually run the two following lines from terminal and the output is satisfactory, albeit a little time consuming

rsync -vgloptruc "/mnt/user/TimeMachineShare/Mac1 iMac.sparsebundle" /mnt/disks/TMB1
rsync -vgloptruc "/mnt/user/TimeMachineShare/Mac2.sparsebundle" /mnt/disks/TMB1

Ideally, I would just like to be able to plug the drive in, the above sync runs and then the disk unmounts on completion. At this stage I do not feel that I need to be notified of the completed job, as I'll just see the disk as unmounted in the Main menu.

I've looked around here and other places to try to find a solution, but I really don't know where to start. My attempts to copy similar solutions have resulted in the ext hdd not mounting and getting stuck in a loop.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you mentioned using those CLI commands, have you tried taking a look at CA user script plugin?

Another thought, the unassigned devices plugin appears to have a script function - that would certainly fit with your idea of plugging in the drive, mountin it, and triggering off you rsync.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk