[Support] binhex - MakeMKV

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-makemkv in the binhex repo.

Application: MakeMKV- http://www.makemkv.com/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-makemkv/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-makemkv

Documentation: https://github.com/binhex/documentation

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer 😁

btn_donate_SM.gif&key=57f6b617e37a194c35

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

Edited by binhex
  • 3 weeks later...

I am unable to get it detect my USB DVD drive. I have added Extra Parameters: --device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg9 but MakeMKV states "The program can't find any usable optical drives".

From the console I can see the DVD has been passed through:

sh-5.0# ls -la /dev/sg*
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 0 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg0
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 1 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg1
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 2 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg2
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 3 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg3
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 4 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg4
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 5 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg5
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 6 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg6
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 7 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg7
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 8 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg8
crw-rw---- 1 root log 21, 9 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg9

sh-5.0# ls -la /dev/sr0
brw-rw---- 1 root log 11, 0 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sr0

If I use the same parameters in a different makemkv docker the drive is detected.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Paul

On 7/17/2019 at 5:05 PM, scouserontour said:

I am unable to get it detect my USB DVD drive. I have added Extra Parameters: --device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg9 but MakeMKV states "The program can't find any usable optical drives".

From the console I can see the DVD has been passed through:

sh-5.0# ls -la /dev/sg*
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 0 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg0
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 1 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg1
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 2 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg2
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 3 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg3
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 4 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg4
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 5 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg5
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 6 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg6
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 7 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg7
crw-rw---- 1 root   6 21, 8 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg8
crw-rw---- 1 root log 21, 9 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sg9

sh-5.0# ls -la /dev/sr0
brw-rw---- 1 root log 11, 0 Jul 17 16:56 /dev/sr0

If I use the same parameters in a different makemkv docker the drive is detected.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Paul

Sadly i dont have a DVD/CD drive so i cant test this for you, are you sure of the device names --device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg9 ?

• 4 weeks later...

Binhex,

Been using this docker since you released it and have had zero issues for my use cases.
Wanted to take this oppurtunity to personally thank you. So thanks for all your hard work!

Only question is would it be possible to  add either our own or use the current BETA key listed on the forum?
jlesage/makemkv docker has not worked for me in a while, but has this variable set so I can use my own key or it will download the BETA key on startup.

38 minutes ago, intertet said:

Only question is would it be possible to  add either our own or use the current BETA key listed on the forum?

what if you use the 'Help/Register' function in makemkv? i would assume this would then write your registration key to the config file, and you should be set.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:34 PM, LumberJackGeek said:

Hey every one,

I get this every time I try converting  DVD files:

Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location 'usr/bin/mmccextr'

Ideas?

added to the image, please pull and try again.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, LFTech said:

Has anyone had any luck passing their Optical Drive through to the container using the Extra Paramaters setting? After following any instructions I can provide I have come up empty.

sadly i dont have an optical drive so i cant really test for you, what are the extra params you are using?

58 minutes ago, LFTech said:

--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg6.

I have tried multiple different ways include --device=...

DISCLAIMER:  I am not using the Binhex MakeMKV container, I am using the "other" one - sorry, Binhex 😀

I see the GitHub/Docker Hub links for this container do not mention passing through device information in Extra Parameters but, the other one does.

My optical drive is passed through and functions in this manner (as per the instructions for that container):

image.png.64a80307338ee1f957c986511a242e55.png

It appears you have tried that with no success.  Does this container handle device information differently?

Edited by Hoopster
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Does this container handle device information differently?

nope, perhaps what uou see in the web ui for the extra parameters does not actually equate to what is entered in the extra parameters field?, def worth trying squid's suggestion, as that is the normal way of passing in devices to docker containers.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:03 PM, binhex said:

nope, perhaps what uou see in the web ui for the extra parameters does not actually equate to what is entered in the extra parameters field?, def worth trying squid's suggestion, as that is the normal way of passing in devices to docker containers.

I have tried the syntax squid provided with no luck. I was able to pass through device out of the box with another container and have seen no issues. Unfortunately extra parameters appears to not operate the same with this container with the --device parameter.

12 hours ago, millergenuine said:

First of all,

@binhex - Thanks for creating this image - fantastic.

Secondly,

I'm trying to figure out how to add my license key to makemkv.  I manually typed it in under the Menu > Help > Register dialogue.  It fails to accept it every time.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

hmm odd!, to try and remove the human factor here try using the copy and paste function of novnc, its on the left hand side as a pop out style set of buttons, paste it into the paste pop out and then you should be able to right click in the novnc window and paste it in there.

8 hours ago, binhex said:

hmm odd!, to try and remove the human factor here try using the copy and paste function of novnc, its on the left hand side as a pop out style set of buttons, paste it into the paste pop out and then you should be able to right click in the novnc window and paste it in there.

@binhex - You nailed it.  Problem solved!  And thanks again.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:34 AM, LumberJackGeek said:

Hey every one,

I get this every time I try converting  DVD files:

Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location 'usr/bin/mmccextr'

Ideas?

@LumberJackGeek - had the same issue. 

This is how I solved it after @binhex made sure to add it to the image:
1. Menu > View > Preferences > Check "Expert mode:"

2. Click on the "Advanced" tab

3. Where it says "ccextractor executable location", use the explorer to find the right path: /bin/ccextractor

4. Click "Apply", Click "OK"

5. Restart the app

Hope that helps.

Edited by millergenuine
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

Just installed binkex - MakeMKV and it's great.

Curious, I'm trying to use VNC Viewer from RealVNC from a Mac to attach to the docker and it is not working.  VNC Viewer works great for Krusader.

I did have to change the port to 7080 while keeping the docker setting to 6080 (Krusader used 6080).

Any ideas?  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue as some of the users above. I'm not able to pass the optical drive through using the Extra Parameters. I have tried using "=" and not using it. Neither way seems to work for me. Right now its set at "--device=/dev/sr0 --device=/dev/sg5". I know these parameters are correct because this is what is shown on the console... Did anyone else get this to work? Thanks!

image.png.8a5a19682b4e95860feb968c91fea0da.png

1 hour ago, dsmithers said:

I'm having the same issue as some of the users above. I'm not able to pass the optical drive through using the Extra Parameters.

Just an FYI, this is not a general problem with the container.  My optical drive is passing through without issue and MakeMKV recognizes and reads all the inserted discs (at least those I have tried).

image.png.249d292fc44cd93ba6c9cad67c06fce1.png