[Support] binhex - MakeMKV

3 hours ago, dsmithers said:

Right now its set at "--device=/dev/sr0 --device=/dev/sg5"

I am not sure this will make any difference but I have the device entries reversed with the sgX first and the srX second.  I think I might have had to make that switch.  I don't know that it does matter, but, it's worth a try.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:17 PM, Hoopster said:

I am not sure this will make any difference but I have the device entries reversed with the sgX first and the srX second.  I think I might have had to make that switch.  I don't know that it does matter, but, it's worth a try.

Yeah unfortunately that didn't work either. Was was how my last docker container was set up too, before that container started messing with my system. I have no idea whats happening here. It really bothering me too. This should work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry if there is something basic I should have understood, but have not, but I am trying  :)

I have installed the binhex-makemkv app.

But what ever I try I get "The program can't find any usable optical drives." message.

This is the drive I try to include:

45514219_unraiddisker.PNG.72ca3b3a3bd652f7101c2a365beee9b7.PNG

Setup:

Repository: binhex/arch-makemkv

Network Type: Bridge

Console shell command: Shell

Privileged: ON

Host port 1: 6080

Host Path 2: /mnt/user/Multimedia/

Key 1: Tower

Key 2:

Key 3: 000

Key 4: 99

Key 5: 100

AppData Config Path: /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-makemkv

Have also tried to add all of the devices I could find related to the internal blue-ray

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-PLEXTOR_BD-R_PX-B950SA_2512075_216201500042

/dev/sr0   (listed in scsi devices)

/dev/dvd

/dev/dvd0

/dev/dvdr

/dev/dvdr0

/dev/dvdrw

/dev/dvdrw0

/dev/dvdwriter

/dev/dvdwriter0

/dev/sg8

/dev/cdr

/dev/cdr0

/dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom0

/dev/cdrw

/dev/cdwriter

/dev/cdwriter0

Have also tried these, but I then get an error:

--device/dev/sr0 is not an absolute path

--device=/dev/sr0 is not an absolute path

--device /dev/sr0 is not an absolute path

Edit: found the advanced view.

Have tried to add:

--device=/dev/sr0

and

--device=/dev/sr0 --device=/dev/sg0

But still with no luck.

Edit 2:

Have logged in on the terminal (?) for the first time and ran:

lsscsi -g

[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd PLEXTOR BD-R PX-B950SA 1.01 /dev/sr0 /dev/sg8

lsscsi -l

state=running queue_dept=1 scsi_level=6 type=5 device_blocked=0 timeout=30

lsscsi -v

[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd PLEXTOR BD-R PX-B950SA 1.01 /dev/sr0

dir: /sys/bus/scsi/devices/1:0:0:0 [/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00::11.0/0000:07:00.0/host1/port-1:0/end_device-1:0target1:0:0/1:0:0:0]

Have tried the following under the advanced tab:

Extra Parameters:  

--device=/dev/sr0 --device=/dev/sg8

--device=/dev/sg8 --device=/dev/sr0

--device /dev/sg8 --device /dev/sr0

--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg8

What am I missing?

Edited by Teza
19 hours ago, Teza said:

What am I missing?

your config looks good to me, sadly i have no optical drive attached to my server so i cant really help debugging this :-(, it SHOULD be as simple as passing through the drive via the --device flag as you've attempted to do, so at this point im not sure what i can suggest other than googling around to see if anybody else has had similar experience with optical drive pass-through.

It seems like there is several peoples that have problems with dvd hardware and unraid/makemkv.

I barely know anything about unraid/linux, but linux finds the drive when I use the command line.

The drive is also found inside unraid, and it seems like the container finds it as well.

If I remember it correctly, back in 1998-2000 it could be difficult to find CD burner hardware and software that worked well with each other, and many cd burners was not working in some of the programs but worked just fine in other.

Is it correct that it is different types of containers in unraid?

If so can the problem might be in the container setup or that makemkv is selective regarding to hardware support?

Or might it be as simple as a new linux driver is needed for the dvd burner?

Linux find it but can't use it?

• 1 month later...

Hi binhex ... i've got a question. I was running this docker, my system seemed to be running a bit fast and hot cpuwise, not a problem, but on the dashboard it was reporting >30 streams open to my 'media' share. When i stopped the docker they went. Strange i thought, considering i was only accessing one folder on my share which works really well for me. But should it be doing this? So i started it again and the same number of streams opened and machine usage increased again. Stopped docker and streams disappear. NOw at first i thought to look at dynamix active streams in an attempt to identify what was going on but these 'ghost' streams do not show up there, so, any ideas?? If not, then reluctantly i'll be returning to makemkv'ing  on my pc as i dont want my unraid server thrashing the cpu for any length of time. Otherwise, i love it!! Makes life so much easier all on the one platform. Cheers!

Hey guys, got USB optical to work by installing usbutils.  Best case is if binhex could add it to the image build steps. For testing only;

console to container

pacman -S --noconfirm usbutils

pkill makemkv

/home/nobody/start.sh

# this doesn't actually restart everything properly but does get it temporarily running

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 5:34 AM, Teza said:

I am sorry if there is something basic I should have understood, but have not, but I am trying  :)

I have installed the binhex-makemkv app.

But what ever I try I get "The program can't find any usable optical drives." message.

This is the drive I try to include:

45514219_unraiddisker.PNG.72ca3b3a3bd652f7101c2a365beee9b7.PNG

Setup:

Repository: binhex/arch-makemkv

Network Type: Bridge

Console shell command: Shell

Privileged: ON

Host port 1: 6080

Host Path 2: /mnt/user/Multimedia/

Key 1: Tower

Key 2:

Key 3: 000

Key 4: 99

Key 5: 100

AppData Config Path: /mnt/user/appdata/binhex-makemkv

Have also tried to add all of the devices I could find related to the internal blue-ray

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-PLEXTOR_BD-R_PX-B950SA_2512075_216201500042

/dev/sr0   (listed in scsi devices)

/dev/dvd

/dev/dvd0

/dev/dvdr

/dev/dvdr0

/dev/dvdrw

/dev/dvdrw0

/dev/dvdwriter

/dev/dvdwriter0

/dev/sg8

/dev/cdr

/dev/cdr0

/dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom0

/dev/cdrw

/dev/cdwriter

/dev/cdwriter0

Have also tried these, but I then get an error:

--device/dev/sr0 is not an absolute path

--device=/dev/sr0 is not an absolute path

--device /dev/sr0 is not an absolute path

Edit: found the advanced view.

Have tried to add:

--device=/dev/sr0

and

--device=/dev/sr0 --device=/dev/sg0

But still with no luck.

Edit 2:

Have logged in on the terminal (?) for the first time and ran:

lsscsi -g

[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd PLEXTOR BD-R PX-B950SA 1.01 /dev/sr0 /dev/sg8

lsscsi -l

state=running queue_dept=1 scsi_level=6 type=5 device_blocked=0 timeout=30

lsscsi -v

[1:0:0:0] cd/dvd PLEXTOR BD-R PX-B950SA 1.01 /dev/sr0

dir: /sys/bus/scsi/devices/1:0:0:0 [/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00::11.0/0000:07:00.0/host1/port-1:0/end_device-1:0target1:0:0/1:0:0:0]

Have tried the following under the advanced tab:

Extra Parameters:  

--device=/dev/sr0 --device=/dev/sg8

--device=/dev/sg8 --device=/dev/sr0

--device /dev/sg8 --device /dev/sr0

--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg8

What am I missing?

I'm in exactly the same boat.... :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 6:08 PM, t-sean said:

Hey guys, got USB optical to work by installing usbutils.  Best case is if binhex could add it to the image build steps. For testing only;

console to container

pkill makemkv

/home/nobody/start.sh

# this doesn't actually restart everything properly but does get it temporarily running

pkill doesn't work for me.. What arguments did you pass through for the device with this?

On 1/24/2020 at 11:08 PM, t-sean said:

Hey guys, got USB optical to work by installing usbutils.  Best case is if binhex could add it to the image build steps.

im willing to give this a go, check for new image in about an hou or sor, i obviously cant test as i dont have an optical drive, so i will leave it up to you guys to tell me if it works or not :-).

19 hours ago, binhex said:

im willing to give this a go, check for new image in about an hou or sor, i obviously cant test as i dont have an optical drive, so i will leave it up to you guys to tell me if it works or not :-).

Hey did you by any chance ever push this? I don't think I ever saw this update come... No rush if not :)

5 hours ago, LumberJackGeek said:

Hey did you by any chance ever push this? I don't think I ever saw this update come... No rush if not :)

im having ongoing issues with using a newly built base image, ive temporarily worked around the issue so there should be a new image built in the next few hours.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 5:08 PM, t-sean said:

console to container

pkill makemkv

/home/nobody/start.sh

I was also having issues with my usb blu ray reader, using the :latest docker container tag. I can confirm that this fix also works for me, MakeMKV can now see the usb device and read from it. 

1 hour ago, glompy said:

I was also having issues with my usb blu ray reader, using the :latest docker container tag. I can confirm that this fix also works for me, MakeMKV can now see the usb device and read from it. 

thanks for confirming 🙂

On 4/14/2020 at 9:44 PM, LumberJackGeek said:

what's your address? I'm going to buy you a BluRay drive

see guys i didnt need a bluray drive after all 🙂

Just to clarify, using the latest docker (from ~19 days ago as the timestamp of this post), I still had to open the docker console and install usbutils with pacman, it didn't seem to "take hold" when installed from the existing install.sh script.

For now I don't mind, since I have three usb dvd readers, I have to open the console and launch extra instances of makemkv using start.sh anytime I restart the container anyways, so I just made this quick script to do it and placed it in the mounted /config directory. 

#!/bin/sh
pkill makemkv
/home/nobody/start.sh &
/home/nobody/start.sh &
/home/nobody/start.sh &

15 hours ago, glompy said:

I still had to open the docker console and install usbutils with pacman, it didn't seem to "take hold" when installed from the existing install.sh script.

thanks for clarification, hmm that is odd!, i can see it is included in the image, so confused as to what is going on, maybe makemkv is starting too quickly before usbutils has had time to load, can you try removing the pacman line from your script and see if it still works?.

7 hours ago, binhex said:

thanks for clarification, hmm that is odd!, i can see it is included in the image, so confused as to what is going on, maybe makemkv is starting too quickly before usbutils has had time to load, can you try removing the pacman line from your script and see if it still works?.

Okay I found out the issue.

/home/nobody/start.sh needs to be executed as root.

When started as the user nobody, it cannot read the usb devices.

I removed and re-added the container, so I knew I was starting out fresh. I would always run my script by going into the uNraid docker tab, and clicking Console for MakeMKV, I never used the terminal built-in. So I just so happened to be running start.sh as root.

Now that I launched a couple with root, they can read usb, I launched a new one as the nobody user (right click on the background and click Launch MakeMKV on xfce), and that new instance cannot read the usb devices.