[Support] binhex - MakeMKV

On 1/24/2020 at 5:08 PM, t-sean said:

Hey guys, got USB optical to work by installing usbutils.  Best case is if binhex could add it to the image build steps. For testing only;

console to container

pacman -S --noconfirm usbutils

pkill makemkv

/home/nobody/start.sh

# this doesn't actually restart everything properly but does get it temporarily running

Thanks, I was able to get this running with this. My blu-ray drive is an internal SATA drive, but it wouldn't show up until doing these commands.

But as mentioned by others, it doesn't survive restarting the Docker container.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, LumberJackGeek said:

Ok so wait, I need to create a start.sh file, and place it in my /config directory, which is appdata/binhex-makemkv, and start.sh should have this in it?

#!/bin/sh
pacman -S --noconfirm usbutils
pkill makemkv
/home/root/start.sh &
/home/root/start.sh &
/home/root/start.sh &

Bump? This isn't working for me...

On 6/3/2020 at 4:16 PM, Milldor said:

Setting MakeMKV to run as root user fixed the drive not being detected for me.

Use PGID and PUID as 0.

Confirmed that changing both the PGID and PUID to 0, I can actually see the drive now.

I have other issues now - Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR: TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 1.02' at offset '1048576'

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Saarg's MakeMKV docker for years. Recently he broke it and decided to abandon the project and recommended binhex's or jlesage's project. I'm happily using binhex's emby and krusader dockers so I figured, let's keep it in the family. However I can not get binhex's MakeMKV docker to recognize my SATA optical drive. Stupidly I deleted Saarg's docker as soon as I read his abandon post so I lost my 'config' to refer to. So when I had trouble getting binhex's docker to work, I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

lsscsi -g showed

[3:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  PIONEER  BD-RW   BDR-209D 1.34  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg6 

After trying --device=/dev/sg6 --device=/dev/sr0 and --device /dev/sg6 --device /dev/sr0 (which I'm certain I was using in Extra Parameters previously) I tired other variations like --device=/dev/sg6:/dev/sr0, --device=/dev/sr0:/dev/sr0, --device=/dev/sg6, --device=/dev/sr0 none of which worked.

I decided to give jlesage's docker a try and with the --device /dev/sg6 --device /dev/sr0 setting it worked right away. 

Sorry binhex, I tried.

I have been using Saarg's MakeMKV docker for years. Recently he broke it and decided to abandon the project and recommended binhex's or jlesage's project. I'm happily using binhex's emby and krusader dockers so I figured, let's keep it in the family. However I can not get binhex's MakeMKV docker to recognize my SATA optical drive. Stupidly I deleted Saarg's docker as soon as I read his abandon post so I lost my 'config' to refer to. So when I had trouble getting binhex's docker to work, I thought it was something I was doing wrong.
lsscsi -g showed

After trying --device=/dev/sg6 --device=/dev/sr0 and --device /dev/sg6 --device /dev/sr0 (which I'm certain I was using in Extra Parameters previously) I tired other variations like --device=/dev/sg6:/dev/sr0, --device=/dev/sr0:/dev/sr0, --device=/dev/sg6, --device=/dev/sr0 none of which worked.

I decided to give jlesage's docker a try and with the --device /dev/sg6 --device /dev/sr0 setting it worked right away. 

Sorry binhex, I tried.

Did you see milldor's post above this post? Try setting puid and pgid to 0

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

So, another person to throw their hat into this ring, as I am having the same issue, but I happened to see something possibly interesting (or maybe entirely irrelevant) before the issue started.

Unraid Version 6.8.3 (NVIDIA build)

Drive: LG WH16NS60, mounted internally via SATA. came with firmware 1.02

BEFORE PATCHING:

Upon first installation of the drive into my Unraid machine, I installed and fired up the binhex-makemkv docker, and the drive was, with no changes to the template or extra parameters (privileged mode), visible in MakeMKV.

Great! Time to flash a new firmware.

I fired up a Win10 VM, passed the drive through, and flashed with a patched version of the 1.02 firmware (1.02-MK) so I can backup blu-rays.  I tested it in the VM, ripped a basic Blu-Ray, no issues.

AFTER PATCHING:

Ok, turn off the VM.  Reboot the server, just cause.  Fire up the MakeMKV docker (privileged mode), and poof, no drive.  I edited the docker to set PUID and PGID to 0 each, restarted the docker, and bam the drive is visible.

One more strange note: In the Win10 VM, under LibreDrive Information, all of the statuses below "firmware version" show "Yes", but in the MakeMKV docker, "Unrestricted read speed" shows "possible, not yet enabled".  There at least seems to be a difference in performance as the read speed seems to be limited at a steady 15MB/s read from the docker, but manages almost 30MB/s from Win10.  Already have a correction:  I re-ran the test in the WIn10 VM to make sure I was ripping the same exact stream from the disk and the speeds are nearly identical (16MB/s) to what the docker was able to read (15.4MB/s), so I guess I originally ripped a different stream further to the edge of the disc.

Maybe there is something strange with the firmware causing the drive not to be recognized by the docker with the default 99/100 PUID/PGID?  I have no idea how that would be, but that's the only thing that changed between the first boot-up and then using the patched version.

Edited by phil1c
  • 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, chip said:

I get this every time I try converting  DVD files:

Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location 'usr/bin/mmccextr'

click on preferences/general for makemkv, then tick Expert mode' click apply then go to 'Advanced' tab and click on the ccextractor executable location and set it to /usr/sbin/ccextractor

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 6:36 AM, jginzkey said:

What am I doing wrong here?

I installed the docker via community apps and everything worked great but now I cannot access via noVNC.

Logs attached, I cannot figure this one out. There's an error but I am at a loss.

P.S. I appreciate all the work, thank you.

supervisord.log 435.34 kB · 1 download

please can you click on force update to ensure you are running the latest image.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 12:12 PM, binhex said:

please can you click on force update to ensure you are running the latest image.

I did this, and I am getting the same result as jginzkey. I have tried force updating, removing the container completely and reinstalling, I've also tried stopping all containers to see if it is a port conflict, and nothing. I am at a total loss for what to do.

On 10/19/2020 at 12:46 AM, M1llenia said:

I did this, and I am getting the same result as jginzkey. I have tried force updating, removing the container completely and reinstalling, I've also tried stopping all containers to see if it is a port conflict, and nothing. I am at a total loss for what to do.

sorry guys i cant replicate this issue, can you try deleting all files/folders in /config for this container, then restart the container, it should start correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the answer - I found the clipboard and was able to paste it there, then copy it and paste it into the registration text.

Hopefully someone has run into this previously, but I can't enter my registration code successfully.  I can't paste it directly, so I do have to type it in (it's a 68 character string).  I'm pretty sure I enter it correctly (made sure I'm using a font that display Ii10Oo distinctly).

I see an error pop up every time - "Registration code is incorrect".

Is there any way to populate the registration code via the settings?  Or any idea what else I can try?

Thanks for any assistance!

Edited by whipdancer
found the answer
  • 2 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 8:54 PM, radix said:

lsscsi -g showed

Sorry binhex, I tried.

Exact same boat for me. For the life of me i couldnt get this version to see my internal SATA Bluray drive. I found the other docker you are using and it worked perfectly after i added the device to extra parameters. Thanks for the tip!

• 5 weeks later...

so this is my noob experience report, i tried connecting a optical dvd drive to rip a dvd with binhex makemkv.

i also encountered the missing drive error. i tried finding the commands for finding mounted drives and somehow ended up with

"cd/dvd  PLDS     DVD-RW DS8A9SH   EL3A  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg11".

i tried mounting via menu option "add device", but no luck, the cdrom doesnt show up.

i then did the console thing a user has posted before and executed the commands starting with "pacman -S --noconfirm usbutils".

the drive appears and i can actually start reading the dvd.

the process then cancels out with

"Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' as its path is not set in preferences
Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location '/usr/bin/mmccextr'"

the instructions from a different docker image introduced me to adding an extra option by turning on the advanced view for the docker options. i added the drive per "--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg11" and did the pacman thing again, no luck tough, same error.

it appears the mount works but the xxextractor is missing. sadly i have no idea how to install that properly.

any advice is appreciated.

edit: fiddled around more. by activating expert mode in mkv options and adding "/bin/ccextractor" as a path i got the dvd ripped. tadaa.

what remains is the automaton of the pacman script. doing all those commands after rebooting the docker image will become tiresome sooner or later i guess.

Edited by likesboc
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

I have not used this in some time. I tried to boot it up today but it says the version is too old?

did you check you are up to date?, the licence will expire every few months and thus you need to keep up with the latest image.