Decent non-pfsense router that can handle Gigabit internet?

testdasi

I have a DD-WRT Netgear router that has served me well but it cannot get over 250Mbps to the internet (it can do gigabit within the network fine).

Apparently the processor is not powerful enough to handle gigabit internet.

I need some recommendations for another router please.

Criteria:

• Not based on pfsense (or opnsense etc.)
    Pfsense is too complicated for my simple minds and needs either passing through NIC to VM (can't do due to no spare PCIe slot available) and/or expensive separate components (e.g. separate mini computer, the video guides on YT also talk about needing separate switches etc.)
  • Can handle Gigabit Internet.
    I took it for granted until finding out that having Gigabit LAN ports apparently doesn't guarantee gigabit internet.
  • Not too big (e.g. not 1U server type)

I probably can use the Netgear as an access point so I actually don't need the router to have wifi.

TIA.

Edited by testdasi
4 minutes ago, uldise said:

agree, i have a non-wifi version, and it works like a charm. and i use it with 10Gbit Passive DAC too (specs say it's not supported) to connect it with my main 10Gbit switch.

I am using EdgeRouter 4 v2.0.3. Also non Wifi. I use their access points. I am very impressed with it so far. I haven't had any issues with it. Sadly I can't test GB internet speeds, ISP doesn't offer it in my area. The main seller for me was UNMS.

Edited by AinsWorth
  • 2 weeks later...
agree, i have a non-wifi version, and it works like a charm. and i use it with 10Gbit Passive DAC too (specs say it's not supported) to connect it with my main 10Gbit switch.
Hi, I just got that rb4011. Just wondering how you setup an vpn server with it, what would you recommend?