6.7.1-rc2 Server restarting

I upgraded the hardware on my Server over the weekend, and now it is randomly restarting, it has been online for at least a day at one point because I was able to run the parity fix, and then ran it twice when I replaced a the cache drive.

Here is what I replaced:

case

Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 AORUS M

CPU - Ryzen 5 1500x

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz 

new cache drive - Samsung 960 pro

it is restarting randomly, no set time, sometimes it will run for half a day, but this morning it only ran for about an hour and then restarted, every time it restarts it starts a parity check again... I am at a loss!

Thanks,

Jojo

tower-diagnostics-20190621-1403.zip

In 6.7.1-rc2, there is Syslog server.   Settings  >>>  Syslog Server     Use the 'Help' feature for guidance in setting it up to log to your Flash Drive.  

As a point of information, I had a flakey PS give me the same type of problem a while back.  It was actually a new PS.  The reason that I found it is that it was the last change I had made to a previously working system.  So it was the prime suspect..

On 6/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, Frank1940 said:

In 6.7.1-rc2, there is Syslog server.   Settings  >>>  Syslog Server     Use the 'Help' feature for guidance in setting it up to log to your Flash Drive.  

As a point of information, I had a flakey PS give me the same type of problem a while back.  It was actually a new PS.  The reason that I found it is that it was the last change I had made to a previously working system.  So it was the prime suspect..

I enabled the syslog server, but it doesn't seem to show anything, there is just a gap in the logs between when something last happened and the system booting, nothing just before the server booting.

I thought maybe the power supply was the issue, it was 5-6 years old so I picked up a new one today and installed it and within an hour and a half the server restarted again...

Not sure if its relevant for you, but I had my RAM at 3200 (which it's rated for) and was having the same issue, random restarts, lockups etc. Changed it to stock speeds and haven't had an issue since. Going to try upping it incrementally over the next few days to keep it stable. May be an option to try.

15 hours ago, matlock said:

Not sure if its relevant for you, but I had my RAM at 3200 (which it's rated for) and was having the same issue, random restarts, lockups etc. Changed it to stock speeds and haven't had an issue since. Going to try upping it incrementally over the next few days to keep it stable. May be an option to try.

Thanks, but I have everything box stock, haven't changed anything in the bios, I have now replaced the power supply as well and it is still doing it, disabled all my dockers, left it for a while, it managed 18 hours of uptime, then restarted... im at a loss... every part of hardware is now new except for the data drives...

7 hours ago, jojowasher said:

Thanks, but I have everything box stock, haven't changed anything in the bios, I have now replaced the power supply as well and it is still doing it, disabled all my dockers, left it for a while, it managed 18 hours of uptime, then restarted... im at a loss... every part of hardware is now new except for the data drives...

So you haven't changed anything in the BIOS? I should have clarified that I also had to change a number of settings in the BIOS and unraid to achieve stability with my 1700x. Including:

1. Disable global c-states

2. I forget what the actual setting is but its a power setting and the best option is "typical device idle" or something like that.

3. Editing the syslinux configuration to include rcu_nocbs=0-15 (0-7 for you given its a 4-core processor) after "append".

4. Editing the go file to include "/usr/local/sbin/zenstates --c6-disable" as the first line (not sure if this is necessary given global disabling but I added it anyway.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, matlock said:

So you haven't changed anything in the BIOS? I should have clarified that I also had to change a number of settings in the BIOS and unraid to achieve stability with my 1700x. Including:

2. I forget what the actual setting is but its a power setting and the best option is "typical device idle" or something like that.

3. Editing the syslinux configuration to include rcu_nocbs=0-15 (0-7 for you given its a 4-core processor) after "append".

4. Editing the go file to include "/usr/local/sbin/zenstates --c6-disable" as the first line (not sure if this is necessary given global disabling but I added it anyway.

Thanks for the tips, I will give this a try, fingers crossed!

On 6/25/2019 at 4:25 AM, matlock said:

Thanks for this, I did the first 3 and the server has been up since!

Jojo

• Like 1