Flash Boot Drive Failed - Restored Backup not working

My flash boot drive failed, so I took a new flash drive and copied a backup I had into it.  I made it bootable, and apparently it booted successfully.  However, the console shows  that it doesn't have an IP address (see attached), and the server does not show up on the network.  I also never got notified to get a new key. Did I miss something in the process?

When I go into MC it looks like none of my volumes or shares are mounted.  I created a diagnostics file but the only way to get it out is to copy it to a flash drive...  how can I mount a USB drive so I can see it in MC?  Thanks in advance for any help!

1493707199_IMG_7775(Medium).thumb.jpg.51e1519420398e9a39fcb1e25d1c75d4.jpg

1034333717_IMG_7776(Medium).thumb.jpg.b9754ab7e4bd49aa68ad4dfe9fb3caec.jpg

Edited by fersal

Did you remember to give the new USB drive the label UNRAID (in caps)?     Also if possible use a USB2 port.

it sounds as if only the first stage boot worked, but the USB stick did not get picked up for the second stage where configuration information is applied.    A quick check is to use the ‘df’ command to see if you have the USB stick mounted as /boot

That shows the USB stick is not being picked up after the initial boot of the core Linux part of the system.   Where you able to check the label - if it is wrong it will not be mounted?    Are you able to use a USB2 port as sometimes USB3 ports seem to have problems during the boot process.

just a thought - did you make sure the USB stick is formatted as FAT32.

Edited by itimpi

I double-checked the USB drive properties and it was labeled UNRAID and formatted as FAT32. I moved it to another USB port, booted and got the same results :-(

What else do you suggest, should I try to download the OS and copy over the config file? Anything else?

17 minutes ago, fersal said:

I double-checked the USB drive properties and it was labeled UNRAID and formatted as FAT32. I moved it to another USB port, booted and got the same results 😞

What else do you suggest, should I try to download the OS and copy over the config file? Anything else?

All I can suggest is rewriting the USB stick (if possible on another machine).    If it does not get mounted as /boot then Unraid will not see the config information anyway.

I used the Flash Device Creator tool to create a 6.6.7 boot drive, replaced the config file with the backup. I boot from it, and still looks the same, with /boot being assigned to /dev/sda1.  I could get a diagnostics file if I copy it to a USB drive, but how do I mount an unassigned device from the command line?  Any other ideas?

Oops - I just read your comment and missed the fact that something IS being mounted as /boot.    Normally this would be the flash drive with the Linux Id of /dev/sda1 so Is there some reason you think this is NOT the USB stick?   When the USB stick is not found you do not expect anything at all to show as mounted at /boot.   Assuming it is the USB stick then when you run the diagnostics command the result should end up in the logs folder on the USB stick.    Post that ZIP file and we might be able to see why you are not getting an IP address.

Current status:  Created a boot device with 6.7.0,  replaced the config folder with the backup, and booted from the flash drive; same issues

I imagine /dev/sda1 must be the flash drive, no problem there apparently.  However I can't find a "logs" folder anywhere in the UNRAID flash drive... any way to mount an unassigned device via the command line and copy the diagnostic file from /boot/logs/ to  it?

Something curious, when I booted into the GUI I saw the following, as you can see the hard drives, cache SSD and flash show up, but the array is not started.  The status says "Invalid Key" (as expected because of new USB drive) and the problem of no IP address still persists.  Looks like I'm close... any other ideas please?

2058118562_IMG_7778(Medium).jpg.cf126085dc5d4c1d38a50ddfc82b1b2c.jpg385630609_IMG_7779(Medium).thumb.jpg.82de12a2c7c08105069b4676d0fc10cb.jpg

5 hours ago, fersal said:

I imagine /dev/sda1 must be the flash drive, no problem there apparently.  However I can't find a "logs" folder anywhere in the UNRAID flash drive... any way to mount an unassigned device via the command line and copy the diagnostic file from /boot/logs/ to  it?

You can always mount a drive from the command line using the 'mount' command - but that requires you to know the device id that Linux has assigned to it.   Any reason you cannot do it from the Unassigned Devices section of the GUI?

When you run the 'diagnostics' command from the command line and it says it has created them at that point do you have a 'logs' folder on the /boot location when you check from the command line?  If it appears and you still cannot find the 'logs' folder on the flash drive is there any chance you have another flash drive plugged in somewhere and that is the one being mounted?   I would expect not as nothing shows up under unassigned devices but worth asking.

You could try deleting (or renaming) the config/network.cfg file on the flash drive so that you revert to default network settings to see if that helps with getting an IP address.