Migration to Full unRAID Pro License

My 12-step (apologies to AA) unRAID Migration Plan:

1. Fresh unRAID OS build created on new 32GB USB key - done. Backups of the appdata share and the old USB key completed also.

2. Copy the following items from /config on the old key to the new USB key to migrate most of my settings: config/ident.cfg and config/network.cfg, config/share.cfg and the folder config/share, config/passwd, config/shadow, and config/smbpasswd, and the config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user folder. These are based on this article: https://wiki.unraid.net/Files_on_v6_boot_drive 

3. As I’m re-organizing the disk/slot layout, I’m not copying config/super.dat but should I copy the file config/disk.cfg to retain my disk settings?

4. Before swapping the USB key and changing the disk/slot layout, stop the array and un-assign the 8TB parity drive. Also change all Docker containers and VMs so they DON'T auto-start. Power-down the unRAID system.

5. Replace the USB key with the new one and re-organize the disks to my liking, grouping them by capacity and leaving some free slots for planned additions. Replace the 8TB parity drive with the new 10TB Ironwolf.

6. Power on the system and wait for unRAID to boot. At this point I need to purchase my Pro license as the old trial key won’t work on the new USB. I could request a new trial key, but I’m satisfied with my choice to move to unRAID so purchasing the license is the way I’ll go.

7. Assign the new parity drive, data disks and existing cache SSD. Leave blank (un-assigned) slots for known future disk additions. Start the array and let the parity build start.

8. I’ve read a procedure where you can copy your old parity drive data to a new parity drive, but I think the ‘build parity from scratch’ is a better option, even though it’s estimated to take a LONG time.

9. Don’t add new data to the array while the parity is rebuilding. Re-install plugins and docker containers. Walk through all settings and make any changes necessary. Change my docker containers and VM to use the previous 8TB parity drive (mounted via UD and formatted) as temporary storage until the parity build is complete.

10. Once the parity build is complete, migrate the data from the temporary storage drive mounted via UD to the array. Then run a pre-clear on the 8TB temporary so it too can be added to the array.

11. At this point I’ll have enough free space on the array to start migrating my 5 x 10TB USB drives (mounted via UD) to the array, one at a time. As each 10TB drive migration is completed, run a pre-clear on it and add it to the array ensuring enough free space to migrate the next 10TB drive.

12. Once all 5 x 10TB drives have been shucked and added to the array, I should have a fully functional unRAID with 100TB+ of storage! Woohoo!

Does this plan sound reasonable? Specifically looking for answer to the question in item #3 - should I or should I not copy the file config/disk.cfg to the new USB key? Any comments or suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Dale

1 minute ago, saarg said:

It should not be enable by default if you ask me.

Why not? If I post a question, I certainly want to be notified of replies. I have seen the 'Follow' option on some posts, but not on all. I can understand though if it's a longer thread and you don't want notification about ALL replies.

20 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

2. Copy the following items from /config on the old key to the new USB key to migrate most of my settings: config/ident.cfg and config/network.cfg, config/share.cfg and the folder config/share, config/passwd, config/shadow, and config/smbpasswd, and the config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user folder. These are based on this article: https://wiki.unraid.net/Files_on_v6_boot_drive 

99% of the time, no issues will result from copying the entire /config folder over

21 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

8. I’ve read a procedure where you can copy your old parity drive data to a new parity drive, but I think the ‘build parity from scratch’ is a better option, even though it’s estimated to take a LONG time.

If you only have a single parity drive, then when making a new config, you can select "Parity is already valid".  With dual parity drives though, you will always have to rebuild parity from scratch since you're rearranging the disk slots.  Regardless, you should always run a parity check to confirm everything is hunky dory.  And make damn sure that when assigning drives that you've got the parity drives assigned correctly.

If when starting the array you get an unmountable drive, then stop and don't do anything until you post your diagnostics and someone sees what you've done.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Squid said:

99% of the time, no issues will result from copying the entire /config folder over

As I want to re-order the config and disk/slot assignments, I'm assuming I don't want the super.dat file. Or if I did, I could just go to Settings and choose New Config?

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

If you only have a single parity drive, then when making a new config, you can select "Parity is already valid".  With dual parity drives though, you will always have to rebuild parity from scratch since you're rearranging the disk slots.  Regardless, you should always run a parity check to confirm everything is hunky dory.  And make damn sure that when assigning drives that you've got the parity drives assigned correctly.

I'm currently running a single parity, but upgrading it to a 10TB in the process of re-doing my disk/slot arrangment. I plan to leave a drive bay with another motherboard SATA port feeding it empty, for a 2nd parity drive once I'm able to afford it. Would I be better to migrate to the full license with the existing parity disk and then do the parity upgrade?

2 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

As I want to re-order the config and disk/slot assignments, I'm assuming I don't want the super.dat file. Or if I did, I could just go to Settings and choose New Config?

Same result either way

3 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

Would I be better to migrate to the full license with the existing parity disk and then do the parity upgrade?

Doesn't matter.  (You just have to rearrange the assigned disks before adding the 2nd parity (or at the same time) otherwise you're going to wind up building parity 2 twice)

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Squid said:

Weird.  Hit report post and ask the mod to delete it.

Will do. As you replied to the post I want to delete, and then I replied to it, I'll post that here (looks like it won't keep the quote formatting from the other post so I just separated your comments and mine with a blank line):

7 minutes ago,  Squid said: 

7 minutes ago,  Squid said: 

I'm currently running a single parity, but upgrading it to a 10TB in the process of re-doing my disk/slot arrangment. I plan to leave a drive bay with another motherboard SATA port feeding it empty, for a 2nd parity drive once I'm able to afford it. Would I be better to migrate to the full license with the existing parity disk and then do the parity upgrade?

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Rather than trying to decide which posts in which thread had useful content, I have just merged both threads.

And I've just deleted some of my posts that didn't need to be in the thread. Thanks!

Edited by AgentXXL