Cannot access shares after creating a new user

As the title suggests, cannot access Tower/whatevername after creating a new user. The root user has  a password. Cannot log with it for a share and, neither the user that was created earlier . The permissions are correct. Get "this is not accessible" etc. Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Is this what I paid £100 for?!! 

Are the shares set as public?   If so then you should be able to use any Username.   If not how do you have them set.   What are you trying to use to access the share?    If it is Windows I suggest clearing any stored credentials for the Unraid server using Windows Credentials Manager.   Also if Windows - what version as Microsoft keep playing around with how network shares are handled.

They are all set to Private. I can access them when I install Unraid without a root password. The shares all show up in Windows and Mac. Once I enable a password for the root and add an user and password  I get, " this tower/etc cannot be accessed".  Shouldn't this be fairly straightforward like Windows?

Edited by amitabhbodhe

The root User cannot be used to access any private or secure shares - only public ones (where guest access is used instead of the actual username)    This has been a restriction in Samba for SMB shares for years so you must have changed something recently if it used to work.    For Private or Secure shares you have to have the appropriate users set up in Unraid.

i know that in Windows  there is a restriction in that only a single username can be used for all shares on a server despite the fact it might prompt you again for a user/password on another share.    This makes it critical that you connect to your Private/Secure Share first (and also that you Clear any existing stored credentials that might be different) or all subsequent attempts will fail.

Edited by itimpi