Plex Docker just... disappeared??

Multitasking, as I generally do, I noticed some docker updates and proceeded to do them. 

Wife comes home "is there server on? Plex can't connect". 

I look at the docker page; Plex is there no more. WTF? Been using the linuxserver version.

Can't say this has happened. Logs attached. Still running 6.5.3. 

I do see the follwing error in the docker log: time="2019-06-24T17:32:10.304040357-04:00" level=warning msg="Failed to delete conntrack state for 172.17.0.2: invalid argument" Apparently that's happened a handful of times since the 6th. 

slipstream-diagnostics-20190624-1754.zip

This happens occasionally for various reasons, creating orphaned containers. I haven't looked at your diagnostics, but the simple fix is to go back to the Apps tab and on the top left you'll find 'Previous Apps'.  Click on it and it should show the Plex docker container you used and the option to re-install. If you customized your Plex Docker container and your template wasn't damaged, it'll re-install using your last template and all should be good.

Edited by AgentXXL
6 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

This happens occasionally for various reasons, creating orphaned containers. I haven't looks at your diagnostics, but the simple fix is to go back to the Apps tab and on the top left you'll find 'Previous Apps'.  Click on it and it should show the Plex docker container you used and the option to re-install. If you customized your Plex Docker container and your template wasn't damaged, it'll re-install using your last template and all should be good.

Thanks for the reply. Upon trying this, I get "command failed" with the following error: Error response from daemon: invalid volume spec ":/transcode:rw": invalid volume specification: ':/transcode:rw'.

1 minute ago, TyantA said:

Thanks for the reply. Upon trying this, I get "command failed" with the following error: Error response from daemon: invalid volume spec ":/transcode:rw": invalid volume specification: ':/transcode:rw'.

When re-installing the Plex (or any other Docker) container, it's a good practice to verify the paths and variables needed by that container. Sounds like the mountpoint for /transcode has been invalidated so you may just need to edit that path to point to where you want. I'd walk through all the options for your container in the Advanced view mode to make sure all paths/variables that you might have changed are valid.

I had a similar issue as I've just upgraded to my full unRAID Pro license yesterday, after a 26 day trial. When I did the upgrade, part of the process was to create a new unRAID USB key and that replaced my working trial unRAID with the NVidia drivers with the stock build. As the NVidia drivers and tools weren't part of my new install, my Plex docker container also failed when trying to re-install. Once I re-installed the unRAID NVidia plugin and rebooted, my Plex Docker container re-installed and started successfully.

Hrmm, been so long since I set this up - but I'm pretty sure *I* never set up a mount point for transcode. The rest of my library mount points are there like /movies /tv etc. I see there is a spot for a path but it says it's optional. "Path for transcoding folder (Optional)" I suppose I can try setting one...

2 minutes ago, TyantA said:

Hrmm, been so long since I set this up - but I'm pretty sure *I* never set up a mount point for transcode. The rest of my library mount points are there like /movies /tv etc. I see there is a spot for a path but it says it's optional. "Path for transcoding folder (Optional)" I suppose I can try setting one...

It's a default option and usually you want it pointed to a fast storage device and/or a ramdisk. As I used Direct Play for my local network, it's not as critical for me, but any remote access to your Plex server will most likely require a valid /transcode location. I used the stock Plexinc docker container, not the linuxserver.io version. 

4 minutes ago, TyantA said:

Might actually be an issue with the release. I'm not the only one it's happened to, apparently: 

BTW - before you play around too much further, I recommend making either a manual or other backup of the Plex Media Server folder usually configured to reside in the appdata share. If something has gone wrong with just the container, you don't want the hassle of potentially needing to rebuild your libraries from scratch.

One other possibility, though this hasn't helped me yet, is to go into the unRAID Settings tab and under Docker settings, and disable Docker by setting the first option to No. Once applied, you then have the option to delete the docker.img file and click Apply again. Then re-enable Docker and the next time you re-install your Plex container, it'll download a fresh copy of the docker.img file. This can correct corruption in the base image.

3 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

BTW - before you play around too much further, I recommend making either a manual or other backup of the Plex Media Server folder usually configured to reside in the appdata share. If something has gone wrong with just the container, you don't want the hassle of potentially needing to rebuild your libraries from scratch.

I only use direct play on my local network. Internet's too slow for anything else :)

I've always used the linuxserver.io version for no particular reason. Is it possible / advisable to switch without too much hassle? I didn't realize Plex had their own docker. I'm generally a fan of stock. 

I had started a manual copy to back things up (mind you I was after the whole appdata folder) and it was going to take forever. Is there a better way to do it other than copying the folder(s)?

3 minutes ago, deteria said:

How do we do that?

If you have your Plex and other Docker containers using the default appdata share, you can use a utility like Krusader to manually backup the folders and files. You could also install CA Backup/Restore appdata plugin (highly recommended) and then configure it to backup your appdata share to your array or to a disk mounted via Unassigned Devices.

1 minute ago, AgentXXL said:

If you have your Plex and other Docker containers using the default appdata share, you can use a utility like Krusader to manually backup the folders and files. You could also install CA Backup/Restore appdata plugin (highly recommended) and then configure it to backup your appdata share to your array or to a disk mounted via Unassigned Devices.

And is it much different if I'm not using the default appdata share? I created a share on my cache drive simply called "apps". 

3 minutes ago, TyantA said:

And is it much different if I'm not using the default appdata share? I created a share on my cache drive simply called "apps". 

Essentially the same process. It's not advisable by many to not use the default appdata share, but it shouldn't really matter as long as you configure your Docker containers and VMs to use the correct path to the folder(s) on your cache drive. Alas plugins like the CA Backup/Restore appdata might not be configurable to use a non-standard location like 'apps'.

2 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

Essentially the same process. It's not advisable by many to not use the default appdata share, but it shouldn't really matter as long as you configure your Docker containers and VMs to use the correct path to the folder(s) on your cache drive. Alas plugins like the CA Backup/Restore appdata might not be configurable to use a non-standard location like 'apps'.

Whelp, it's been this way since the 4.x days so for now, I'm going to leave it :) 

Just manually grabbing the plex docker folder now. There's only the .ssh and (thankfully) Library folder left in there. Looks like I'll be letting that run overnight at its current pace. 

56 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

This happens occasionally for various reasons, creating orphaned containers. I haven't looks at your diagnostics, but the simple fix is to go back to the Apps tab and on the top left you'll find 'Previous Apps'.  Click on it and it should show the Plex docker container you used and the option to re-install. If you customized your Plex Docker container and your template wasn't damaged, it'll re-install using your last template and all should be good.

I tried the Previous Apps and grabbed the docker w/ the old configs.  Whew.  Fixed it for me!  Thanks for saving me a bunch of time.  Now to further test some more to make sure it still works.

Edited by deteria
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, TyantA said:

Whelp, it's been this way since the 4.x days so for now, I'm going to leave it :) 

Just manually grabbing the plex docker folder now. There's only the .ssh and (thankfully) Library folder left in there. Looks like I'll be letting that run overnight at its current pace. 

If you haven't upgraded unRAID to 6.7.1 stable (released two days ago), you may want to consider a fresh re-build of your unRAID using default paths and reconfiguring your containers/VMs appropriately. It's a long process for sure, but for me it was easier. I've been a FreeNAS user for years, but recently chose to move to unRAID as I really like the ease of configuration for Docker and VMs. FreeNAS was often an exercise in frustration trying to get containers and VMs to run well.

2 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

If you haven't upgraded unRAID to 6.7.1 stable (released two days ago), you may want to consider a fresh re-build of your unRAID using default paths and reconfiguring your containers/VMs appropriately. It's a long process for sure, but for me it was easier. I've been a FreeNAS user for years, but recently chose to move to unRAID as I really like the ease of configuration for Docker and VMs. FreeNAS was often an exercise in frustration trying to get containers and VMs to run well.

Hrmm. It's a thought, however, with a firstborn due to pop in a few weeks and an endless list of things to try to get done before then, I don't think now's the time to embark on that adventure. Especially since I'm trying to get a backup build in place before then too. Not a bad idea though. 

So I just threw a URL in for Transcode and this time the reinstall appears to have worked. Will actually have to test it later though. Also... can I use a disk mount for an unassigned disk for the transcode path? How do I export an unassigned disk as a share so I can access it to actually create the directory I specified in that path again? 

17 minutes ago, TyantA said:

So I just threw a URL in for Transcode and this time the reinstall appears to have worked. Will actually have to test it later though. Also... can I use a disk mount for an unassigned disk for the transcode path? How do I export an unassigned disk as a share so I can access it to actually create the directory I specified in that path again? 

Yes - you can use a UD device.   You do not need it to be a share as you give the Linux level path name (it will be something like /mnt/disks/XXXXXX) at the Unraid level when setting up the mapping.   If using a UD mapped device with a docker container then you want to use either Slave:R/W or Slave:RO access modes.

4 hours ago, TyantA said:

As @Squid said, the UD mounted drive can be mapped directly, but you can also enable sharing for that drive by enabling the Share switch for that drive in the UD section of the Main tab. But the better method is to map the UD drive to a mountpoint in your Plex container. The image attached shows one of my 10TB drives mapped to the mountpoint /mnt/MoviesE. The Name field isn't crucial, but the Container Path Host Path and Access Mode should be set. Choose the 'Add another Path, Variable, etc' option to create this mountpoint path in your Plex Docker container. When you click in the Host Path field, you navigate to /mnt/disks and choose the UD mounted disk that you want available in the Plex container. Save your new path and then Apply it to the docker container and you'll have access to it in Plex. I chose RW/Slave for the Access Mode as I want to be able to delete media from my UD mounted drives from within the Plex interface.

UDPlexMapping.thumb.jpg.4bca1c5186ee93a1d1ab2736a078ef98.jpg

Edited by AgentXXL

@TyantA As you want your /transcode path to be on a UD mounted disk, you just need to edit the default path for /transcode that's already in the Plex docker container. The attached image shows my /transcode mapped to my 1TB cache SSD, but in your case you want to change the Host Path to /mnt/disk/{yourUD-disk} and change the Access Mode to RW/Slave. It needs to be RW for /transcode, not RO.

UDPlexTranscode.thumb.jpg.7fd35663951be2516eae79f98054aeb9.jpg