Hardware Replacement

Hi All

I have read a few similar posts and am sure that I know the answer - but just want to try and get a confidence boost to make sure this goes well...

My Proliant DL380p G8 is hosted in a datacenter running UnRAID Version 6.7.1 (2019-06-22). I have a 6-disk array comprising of 5 x 500Gb SAS disks and 1 x 2Tb SAS disk. It also has a 2Tb SAS parity disk and a 500Gb SAS cache disk (this one is just running my VMs so they dont hammer the array 😉).

Anyway the motherboard has flagged a critical error which has now cleared, but it has pushed me into repairs which I wouldnt normally want to do.

Anyhow rather than getting a replacement board and having to strip the machine down in the DC, I have built a near identical machine with the intention of moving the USB key and disks from the struggling machine into the new one. The only difference is that the old one has a P420i/1Gb controller and the new one has a P420i/2Gb controller - also the original machine has 2 x Xeon E5-2640 (6-core) CPUs and the new one has 2 x E5-2650 (8-core) CPUs.

I have several Hyper-V VMs running, mainly Ubuntu webserver VM's - but do have a Windows SBS2011 VM and a Windows 10 VM... both are using VNC for graphics as they are only for RDP access. So I think thats the whole environment covered.

So, my plan is to note the disks serial numbers and where they are in the array... turn off autostart on all VMs and dockers, turn off autostart on the array and power down.

Then move the disks and USB key to the new machine... power it up - with the P420i controller each disk has to be set in a RAID 0 mirror, otherwise UnRAID cant access them... then boot into UnRAID and re-assign the disks to the same slots, start the array and start the VMs - then re-set autostart on the ones I need to autoboot.

Is this the correct process and can anyone see or think of anything which I may have missed, or any areas that might be a problem?

Thanks in advance