Unraid OS version 6.7.2 available

2 minutes ago, allanp81 said:

Thanks for the info, I've set up a scheduled task to balance the btrfs filesystem on the cache drive once a week. Strange I've never even heard of having to do this.

It shouldn't be needed if at least one balance has been made on a recent kernel, it might need one if pool is old and never balanced, yours could use a balance but the way it was it still wouldn't cause issues, at least when the diags were download, it could have before if it was fuller.

2 minutes ago, Woodpusherghd said:

I'm on 6.7.2 and my monthly parity check speed has been cut in half from approximately 90MB/s to 50MB/s.  Prior to 6.7.2 speed has been consistently around. 90MB/s.  I've made no hardware changes. I've attached my diagnostic file.

tower-diagnostics-20190701-1450.zip 262.49 kB · 1 download

At what point did it cut in half?  There's no real fundamental reason why 6.7.2 would have dropped the speeds down.  On the other hand, there are a million reasons why external influences would cut it down (other programs scanning the media, writes to array, etc)  If you stop all other apps, what speeds do you get after it runs for a few minutes?  You can also always install the parity check tuning plugin which will ensure that a check only runs in the middle of the night and will resume the next night.

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Thank you sir, didnt know you can do that. Ran into some other issues after BIOS update but that is all straightened out. So ya 6.7 does not work at all, 6.6.7 works perfect. My Adaptec 71605H is on latest firmware and so is the MOBO Z10PE-D16 WS.

Thanks again..................virtual beer gifted

Edited by kaine1688
On 6/30/2019 at 3:14 AM, jne1979 said:

Updated from 6.7 to 6.7.2

Now the server isnt booting!

no default or ui configuration directive found

sounds like a broken usb flash drive? 

I had this exact same issue. Putting the USB drive in my Windows box, I was quickly notified that the USB drive needed scanning. It didn't find any issues to fix but the unraid server booted after when it wouldn't prior. I'm assuming some "dirty bit" was clogging things up.

Updated from 6.6.7 (i think) to 6.7.2 and now one of my jbod pcie cards isnt being read ( all the drives show up missing) ive attached  my logs. Looks like a PCIE conflict with null? I tried to swap cards and still nothing. Any thoughts ? I tried to down grade the OS back to the old version but it went to 6.7.2 and then the option disappeared. 

tower-diagnostics-20190701-2209.zip

Edited by BaristaFleesta
10 minutes ago, BaristaFleesta said:

Updated from 6.6.7 (i think) to 6.7.2 and now one of my jbod pcie cards isnt being read ( all the drives show up missing) ive attached  my logs. Looks like a PCIE conflict with null? I tried to swap cards and still nothing. Any thoughts ? I tried to down grade the OS back to the old version but it went to 6.7.2 and then the option disappeared. 

tower-diagnostics-20190701-2209.zip 142.82 kB · 0 downloads

Haven't looked at your diagnostics, but I guess that your card uses a Marvell chip.

I think there are some posts about it in this thread.

4 minutes ago, BaristaFleesta said:

Hey @saarg thanks for the reply. I was able to downgrade the version by downloading 6.6.7 taking the unraid USB out of the server and copying the bz files over. Thanks Again.  So the long term solution is that I need a compatible card?

You can try this:   

and , if you need a bit more help, this  one:

Couldn't update to 6.7.0 without hosing my system (in that update thread). Decided to try again adding ...

iommu=pt

before updating to 6.7.2, and was able to move over with no issues from 6.6.7! 

System seems snappier and looks great. Happy to finally be on the 6.7.~ line. \o/

16 hours ago, psycmos said:

I Unraid Devs.
After update 6.6.6 to 6.7.X many user lose the IGPU transcoding ability.
I tested it at 6.7.2 and it are not working too.

Were i can report this for Unraid Dev Team?
Best Regards, Nuno

In the Bug Reports section of this forum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 6/25/2019 at 8:41 PM, limetech said:

Sounds like a config file got corrupted (probably config/ident.cfg).  Did you make a backup of your USB flash boot device before upgrading?

Main/Flash/Flash Backup

You know what would be smart? If the update script made a backup of the critical files its manipulating, and verified it's work before reporting SUCCESS! It's not that hard to at least make sure you don't corrupt files. Why you guys keep telling users to do a job a script can do for them is beyond me.

I was surprised when my 6.7.1 update blew up and the comments were "maybe the update failed". Like, you have a script doing this that didn't check file integrity!? Why suddenly is my storage system unable to write files reliably??

Nothing in 2yrs of running Unraid has made me feel less trusting of it than these recent threads I've seen about corrupted files during upgrades.

Edited by geekazoid
57 minutes ago, geekazoid said:

You know what would be smart? If the update script made a backup of the critical files its manipulating, and verified it's work before reporting SUCCESS! It's not that hard to at least make sure you don't corrupt files. Why you guys keep telling users to do a job a script can do for them is beyond me.

I was surprised when my 6.7.1 update blew up and the comments were "maybe the update failed". Like, you have a script doing this that didn't check file integrity!? Why suddenly is my storage system unable to write files reliably??

Nothing in 2yrs of running Unraid has made me feel less trusting of it than these recent threads I've seen about corrupted files during upgrades.

It DOES do this!    The old files are put into the "previous" folder.  The download is checked against it's checksum.    It then writes the new files to the flash drive and waits for Linux to report success.   It is this last step that appears to be going wrong in that Linux is reporting success but that a read of these files on the subsequent reboot is failing.

Why this is happening I have no idea.   My guess is that it is something in the Linux kernel has reduced the reliability of writing to the USB.   Whether this is affected by a setting that Unraid can control I have no idea.   It could also simply be that the upgrade process is the only time at which a significant amount of data at one time to the USB stick so it is the time that such an issue is most likely to show up.

I'm aware of the /boot/previous and it being available to restore from the https://<unraid_server>/Tools/Update however it really should be implemented so that you can boot from it in grub. I would work on this myself but I really have a full plate this summer and just can't take on any other projects.

I am not convinced that file corruption is the issue. Both times this has happened I repaired it with make_bootable.bat. EFI is what was broken.

Edited by geekazoid
removed off topic

Upgraded to 6.7.2.  Server seemed unstable and was shutting down and then going into reboot loops, but appears to be the CPU water cooler finally giving up rather than anything specific to 6.7.2. Have fitted new CPU cooler and will report back if any issues remain, but so far looking promising.

Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 with BIOS 2501. AMD FX-8350 CPU. 16GB RAM.

Upgraded 2 machines from v6.7.0 to v6.7.1, then v6.7.2. One machine is fine but the other will not allow connections to the web GUI unless i reboot.  This started happening in either v6.7.1 or v6.72. The first time was on June 28th, 2019 observed about 12:45pm. The second happened July 8th, 2019, 6 days after last reboot, observed around 8:39am.

The first time this happened (June 28th) i could not log into the server at all. Not through the web GUI, ssh or at the physical machine. Yet all dockers, VM's and other services, such as samba, continued to work. After the reboot i grabbed diagnostic and enhanced syslogs from the tools menu in the GUI.

The second time (July 8th) i could log in via ssh, or at the physical machine, but the web GUI will not load. Again, all dockers, VM's and other services are working.

Before i reboot this machine, i wanted to know what service i should be looking for. Any commands that i know to check running services come back as "command not found".

I seemed to have similar issues as others in this forum. Upgraded my server from 6.6.6 to 6.7.2. My server was stable for a few days and then it would either lock up or reboot unexpectedly. Nothing showed in logs. The last time it was fine when I went to sleep, but was not responding to ping in the morning. After reboot it came up, ran for an hour, then rebooted on its own again. As soon as I returned home from work I downgraded back to 6.6.6 and it has been stable once again. Any idea how I can collect logs or details of the crash/hang/reboot?

I am leary of updating again, but if I can capture useful information and not risk my data I will.

5 hours ago, chris1259 said:

Upgraded 2 machines from v6.7.0 to v6.7.1, then v6.7.2. One machine is fine but the other will not allow connections to the web GUI unless i reboot.  This started happening in either v6.7.1 or v6.72. The first time was on June 28th, 2019 observed about 12:45pm. The second happened July 8th, 2019, 6 days after last reboot, observed around 8:39am.

The first time this happened (June 28th) i could not log into the server at all. Not through the web GUI, ssh or at the physical machine. Yet all dockers, VM's and other services, such as samba, continued to work. After the reboot i grabbed diagnostic and enhanced syslogs from the tools menu in the GUI.

The second time (July 8th) i could log in via ssh, or at the physical machine, but the web GUI will not load. Again, all dockers, VM's and other services are working.

Before i reboot this machine, i wanted to know what service i should be looking for. Any commands that i know to check running services come back as "command not found".

On July 8th at 1:51pm i could no longer ssh (password not accepted) to the server or log in at the physical machine. I still could not connect to the web GUI and was starting to notice weird routing issues. I power cycled all switches and the router but it did not help. I rebooted the server into GUI mode successfully, but could not connect in any way remotely. At this point i reverted back to v6.7.1.

At first i was able to connect to the web GUI but it stopped working after a few mins. I can't ssh (password not accepted) either. I was able to log in at the web GUI on the physical machine.

The VM's are pingable, but i can't RDP to the Windows VM. I can ssh to the Linux VM.

v6.7.0 was rock solid for me. It was up for 42+ days before i upgraded. I will try downgrading to v6.7.0 as this may be a bug in an upgraded LAN driver.

Created a new v6.7.0, copied my config onto the USB, but all issues remain. The only plug-in that was upgraded since June 18th, 2019 was Community Applications and i doubt that's the issue. There must be a hardware issue with the machine. remove host keys from C:\\Users\\Administrator/.ssh/known_hosts and now i can connect to the web GUI and ssh to the machine again. I will report back next week if everything is still working.

Edited by chris1259
  • jonp unpinned this topic