License requirements

According to the pro license you can have 28 data,2 parity,24 cache drives. That would be a total of 54 drives on an unlimited license which could only handle 30 drives.  So are the 24 cache drives not considered part of the storage array?

Edited by chipmaster
5 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

According to the pro license you can have 28 data,2 parity,24 cache drives. That would be a total of 54 drives on an unlimited license which could only handle 30 drives.  So are the 24 cache drives not considered part of the storage array?

It has nothing to do with "considered". Cache is not part of the array.

The key difference is the cache pool uses btrfs RAID (if more than 1 device) while the array is "Unraid", which is literally not RAID.

I believe the "only" 30 drives limit is to prevent people from going Linus-style overboard. If you need more than 30 drives, you are better off with an enterprise-grade product i.e. not Unraid.

Please the information on this under "Registration Key Info" topic near the bottom of this page:

https://unraid.net/pricing

EDIT:  I should add one thing here 'Attached' means installed and connected devices.  (If the device has power and a SATA connection, it is an attached device! )  I understand that you can plugin a USB device after the system is running and that would not count as an attached device. 

Edited by Frank1940

I'm just trying to figure out if I should go 5 Data,1 parity,1 cache or 5 data,1 parity,no cache or 4 data,1 parity,1 cache.  I see a lot of reports saying a cache drive is a good idea & some saying not necessary.  The chassis I'm using is the Norco RPC-2106.  It has 6 hotswap bays & 2 5.25 bays.  Just trying to figure out if I want more storage or adding a cache drive.

Edited by chipmaster
19 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

@chipmaster , If you are within one drive of being  over the max for a Basic license, allow me to suggest going for the Plus license.  If you are like most of us, you will be buying it soon in any case. 😏  So save the $9.00US upgrading fee.

I'll be building a second server with 11 data drives,1 parity,no cache drive.  This server would be primarily storage & running plex.  So a plus license makes sense to get.  The first one I'm building is more for ripping & encoding blurays & also running docker containers.

Edited by chipmaster
18 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I'm just trying to figure out if I should go 5 Data,1 parity,1 cache or 5 data,1 parity,no cache or 4 data,1 parity,1 cache.  I see a lot of reports saying a cache drive is a good idea & some saying not necessary.

A drive not in the parity array is a very good idea, and cache is the simplest way to accomplish that. Whether as cache or not, that non-array drive counts against license.

You need a drive out of the parity array to install dockers or VMs, or they will have their performance impacted due to the slower parity writes, and they will keep parity and array disk(s) spinning.

19 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I'll be building a second server with 11 data drives,1 parity,no cache drive.  This server would be primarily storage & running plex.  So a plus license makes sense to get.  The first one I'm building is more for ripping & encoding blurays & also running docker containers.

Cost saving proposal for you: merge both of them into 1 server. I don't see why Plex + ripping + storage can't be done on the same server. In fact, rip -> store -> stream is not an unusual workflow for an Unraid server.