Jump to content
uaeproz

Which of these HBAs are compatible?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc

Share this post


Link to post

 

6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc

I'm I limited with these chipsets? I was told SAS 9305-24i works great in FreeNAS but not sure about unraid.

Share this post


Link to post

I was able to get a 9400-16i to work earlier this week.  It has a SAS3416 controller.

 

There are several threads talking about the 9305-24i.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, uaeproz said:

I'm I limited with these chipsets? I was told SAS 9305-24i

No, I was just giviing some examples of the most common ones, the 9305-24i will also work fine, you can always google Unraid + HBA model you want and are likely to get some hits

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

No, I was just giviing some examples of the most common ones, the 9305-24i will also work fine, you can always google Unraid + HBA model you want and are likely to get some hits

@johnnie.black I've read your post about the HBA speed test. It had great info but I need your opinion for this HBA 9305-24i connected to this backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1, is this the best combination in your opinion with dual SAS cables connected to it? or is there any better combination? Please note I have currently 22 HDD mounted to the backplane. In comparison to HBA 9400-16i connected to backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1

 

I have attached user guides/manuals for BPN-SAS3-846EL1; 9305-24i; and 9400-16i

9400-16i.pdf 9305-24i.pdf BPN-SAS3-846EL.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, StevenD said:

I was able to get a 9400-16i to work earlier this week.  It has a SAS3416 controller.

 

There are several threads talking about the 9305-24i.

Did the 9400-16i work out of the box? and what unraid version?

 

Also is it connected to backplane or direct to HDD?

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, uaeproz said:

I've read your post about the HBA speed test. It had great info but I need your opinion for this HBA 9305-24i connected to this backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1, is this the best combination in your opinion with dual SAS cables connected to it? or is there any better combination? Please note I have currently 22 HDD mounted to the backplane. In comparison to HBA 9400-16i connected to backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1

That backplane has a bultin expander, you just need an HBA with 2 miniSAS connectors, like 9300-8i, no point in buying anything with more ports.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That backplane has a bultin expander, you just need an HBA with 2 miniSAS connectors, like 9300-8i, no point in buying anything with more ports.

My concern was about speed/bandwidth and also compatibility. I don't wish to compromise on speed. That is the reason I wanted to buy that card so from my configuration point of view, what would be the fastest card speed wise in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post

You can only connect one cable (single link) or two cables (dual link and max link speed for best performance) to the backplane, hence why no point in having an HBA with more ports.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can only connect one cable (single link) or two cables (dual link and max link speed for best performance) to the backplane, hence why no point in having an HBA with more ports.

Got it. Thank you so much @johnnie.black I will order it right away

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.