Which of these HBAs are compatible?

uaeproz

16 hours ago, uaeproz said:

I'm I limited with these chipsets? I was told SAS 9305-24i

No, I was just giviing some examples of the most common ones, the 9305-24i will also work fine, you can always google Unraid + HBA model you want and are likely to get some hits

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

No, I was just giviing some examples of the most common ones, the 9305-24i will also work fine, you can always google Unraid + HBA model you want and are likely to get some hits

@johnnie.black I've read your post about the HBA speed test. It had great info but I need your opinion for this HBA 9305-24i connected to this backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1, is this the best combination in your opinion with dual SAS cables connected to it? or is there any better combination? Please note I have currently 22 HDD mounted to the backplane. In comparison to HBA 9400-16i connected to backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1

I have attached user guides/manuals for BPN-SAS3-846EL1; 9305-24i; and 9400-16i

9400-16i.pdf 9305-24i.pdf BPN-SAS3-846EL.pdf

21 hours ago, StevenD said:

I was able to get a 9400-16i to work earlier this week.  It has a SAS3416 controller.

There are several threads talking about the 9305-24i.

Did the 9400-16i work out of the box? and what unraid version?

Also is it connected to backplane or direct to HDD?

12 minutes ago, uaeproz said:

I've read your post about the HBA speed test. It had great info but I need your opinion for this HBA 9305-24i connected to this backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1, is this the best combination in your opinion with dual SAS cables connected to it? or is there any better combination? Please note I have currently 22 HDD mounted to the backplane. In comparison to HBA 9400-16i connected to backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1

That backplane has a bultin expander, you just need an HBA with 2 miniSAS connectors, like 9300-8i, no point in buying anything with more ports.

15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That backplane has a bultin expander, you just need an HBA with 2 miniSAS connectors, like 9300-8i, no point in buying anything with more ports.

My concern was about speed/bandwidth and also compatibility. I don't wish to compromise on speed. That is the reason I wanted to buy that card so from my configuration point of view, what would be the fastest card speed wise in your opinion?

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone,

I got a question concerning the new Broadcom BCM HBA 9600. Have they also been added to the drivers?
Got one but unfortunately, the disked connected are not detected.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

I got a question concerning the new Broadcom BCM HBA 9600. Have they also been added to the drivers?
Got one but unfortunately, the disked connected are not detected.

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Dexer said:

It seems the Controller is detected. Still can't see the 18TB SATA disks.

Are you sure the correct cabling is in place? Going from SAS controller to SATA disks uses the same connectors as SATA ports to SAS backplane, but the cables are wired differently, forward vs. reverse breakout.

14 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Are you sure the correct cabling is in place? Going from SAS controller to SATA disks uses the same connectors as SATA ports to SAS backplane, but the cables are wired differently, forward vs. reverse breakout.

Thanks for the response. I will check the compatibility and will let you know.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:45 PM, JonathanM said:

I got the response, that the cable used is compatible with SATA disks. Therefore I suppose the driver will be the solution.
So as mentioned by JorgeB, I will wait for the next update, where the driver hopefully will be included.

On 8/9/2023 at 12:09 PM, JorgeB said:

Got the confirmation that the driver will be included with v6.12.4, hopefully it will work correctly.

Have you got any information when the new release v6.12.4 will be available.
I will let you know the results, as soon as it is tested.

18 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Installed the update. Had to change as mentioned in the guide from macvlan to ipvlan for my dockers. Installed the controller and connected all the disks to the controller, even the ones I had connected directly to the mainboard. Everything seems to run smooth. Waiting now for the new disks to be added to the pool.

Thanks alot for adding the driver.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 6:26 AM, Dexer said:

Installed the update. Had to change as mentioned in the guide from macvlan to ipvlan for my dockers. Installed the controller and connected all the disks to the controller, even the ones I had connected directly to the mainboard. Everything seems to run smooth. Waiting now for the new disks to be added to the pool.

Thanks alot for adding the driver.

Sorry to bump, are you running the Broadcom BCM HBA 9600 in IT mode?  I was looking at purchasing but couldn't it pre-flashed to IT mode or much documentation.  Wanting to split a pci-e 4.0 16x port for 4x U.2 drives and the HBA 9xxx looks like the best way to do it with my board (intel, you suck... all this money and no bifurcation!?!?).

Looks like its working but wondering if you bought it in IT mode, flashed yourself, or running with raid?