Reset network.cfg

I have read a few posts about resetting your network settings.

I have a few questions if you wonderful humans don't mind answering.

1. Can I delete them from unraid. Or do I have to remove USB, and delete them in another computer.

2. My router has the current server up set to static. Will that need to be changed? Forgive me humans, if I have made an error.

3. When I delete this file or files and reboot how will I connect back to server?

4. Will I need to change my Dockers config? Or can I just plug in old address into the static IP in network config and everything will work?

5. Which file/files exactly do I need to delete?

6. Is their and downside to doing this?

Thank you,

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I am not sure why you are trying to be cute but I will try to answer all of your questions in one quick reply.  (Please in the future, don't try to be cute as many of us will take offense...) 

Basically, all of the stuff you appear to want to change are available  in the GUI:

Settings  >>>  Identification

Settings  >>>  Network Settings

You can get assistance for all of these settings by clicking on the 'Help' icon in the GUI toolbar.

You mention the IP address as being set as 'Static' in the router.  You may have to change this setting (on the router) as some routers will use that address when delivering an IP address via DHCP.  (Your router tracks things via the MAC addresses. All those nice names we assign devices are not used in the DHCP process.  The router likes MAC addresses as each of those addresses is unique!  It only remembers the names for us.) 

Why are you trying to change to DHCP addressing?  (Many of us actually prefer a static address for our Unraid server.  That are many reasons for doing this which you will find out about when you try to do something a bit unusual!  OR something does not work right using the server's name-- the IP address will  ALWAYS work!!!)  

I was in a really good mood when I wrote this. Hence why I was being cute.
I will remove the static IP on my edge router. I don't really know why I set it up that way. When I first set up my unraid server. I really didn't know what I was doing. Then I decided to mess with network settings ipv6 and others also setting up my dual nic. Needless to say I have a few things in their I don't know if I will ever need. And when I disconnect my second port on my nic. I get an error saying it's not connected. I just want to start over and I want to make sure I do it right. Currently every thing is working with no issues.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...